Author Topic: Wilsonboy Journal  (Read 57001 times)

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
Re: Wilsonboy ~ Tennis Journal
« Reply #260 on: December 18, 2008, 11:12:11 PM »
It's always seemed to the that golf has more activity of the "19th hole" kind.   :drinks:
Am I unfair, OSU?

Unfair?  Not at all.  I love my cold drinks equally after golf or tennis. 

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #261 on: December 18, 2008, 11:22:10 PM »
It's always seemed to the that golf has more activity of the "19th hole" kind.   :drinks:
Am I unfair, OSU?

Unfair?  Not at all.  I love my cold drinks equally after golf or tennis
Thanks for reminding me, it's time for a couple of wobbly pops!
CONK da ball!!!

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #262 on: December 19, 2008, 12:21:16 PM »
Wobbly pops??? is that some redneck thing? ;)
Be the change that you seek.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #263 on: December 20, 2008, 03:53:16 PM »
Wobbly pops??? is that some redneck thing? ;)

CONK da ball!!!

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #264 on: December 22, 2008, 09:42:56 PM »

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #265 on: December 23, 2008, 06:45:37 AM »
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #266 on: December 23, 2008, 06:46:14 AM »
Any plans to hit the courts over the Christmas holiday? ://
CONK da ball!!!

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #267 on: December 24, 2008, 01:40:51 PM »

Absolutely not... I'm gonna be traveling and whatnot... haven't you been in my "spotlight" thread? I'm like a drifter this month. ;P

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #268 on: December 24, 2008, 03:17:05 PM »

Absolutely not... I'm gonna be traveling and whatnot... haven't you been in my "spotlight" thread? I'm like a drifter this month. ;P
I did check in there a couple of times.
Was hoping you'd continue to make time for tennis!!!
I hope you have a Merry Christmas. :)
CONK da ball!!!

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #269 on: January 21, 2009, 06:19:56 PM »
I saw this guy playing tennis in the racquetball section of my gym.
lol
that's my update so far.
But I plan on getting back into tennis this year hopefully. By next month I hope to be back... I need a regular fitness schedule I enjoy and tennis is it.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #270 on: January 23, 2009, 03:55:35 PM »
Good to hear.  I'll look forward to your on-court return and subsequent journal postings.   ;-()

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
Re: Wilsonboy Journal ~ [i actually hit!!!]
« Reply #271 on: September 01, 2009, 09:11:46 PM »
SOoooooooooooooo I haven't hit in about 2 and a half years!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This week--after being inspired by the US Open, I got my old ncode racquet restrung and went out to hit today. At first I felt very very VERY awkward, but about about 20 mins I really had it down good. I didn't go to a real tennis court though. Just an indoor racquetball court attached to the gym here. But I hit for about an hour--trying to get the ball to hit the wall at about where the tennis net would be. And I feel like I hit even harder than I used to back in the day; and it wasn't like chaotic blasting. It actually had purpose. Even though I haven't played, I still kept practicing my hitting motion. My backhand was surprisingly consistent. It was awesome.

But now my legs and a$$ hurt sooooo much and I can't even imagine how it's going to feel tomorrow. But I'm just glad that I'm back into the mix once more. I think I may want to go all the way and enter tournaments and stuff once I feel confident enough. YAY!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #272 on: September 02, 2009, 06:19:04 AM »
2.5 years?  Holy Crap.

Welcome back to the game! :))
CONK da ball!!!

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #273 on: September 08, 2009, 11:22:28 PM »
Sooo I been playing the last couple days. Today I worked on my running shots. I'm getting better at finding the center of my racquet. I'm slowly but surely working my way back into consistency. I'm in the process of tweaking my backhand though to find the one that fits me best. I'm somewhere between Nole's, Serena's, or Nadal's backhand. The open stance is more comfortable, but the closed seems much more consistent for me regardless of the position I'm in... we'll see. Gosh I'm so flustered.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #274 on: September 09, 2009, 03:28:55 PM »
Glad to hear you are back on the courts!  Now you need to line up some hitting with others.   ;-()

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
Re: Wilsonboy Journal ~ [HELP ME!!!!]
« Reply #275 on: April 08, 2010, 11:47:11 PM »
So I figured it's time for me to dive right back into this site since I'm finally playing regularly again.
One of my old teammates from high school hit the me up about a month ago and we've been playing a couple times a week now. I'm really happy to be playing again because I get a real work out regimen AND I get to play tennis again. HOWEVER, I am now reminded of the horrible love/hate relationship I have with this sport. See the issue now is that I keep losing to this saaaaaaaaame guy over and over and over again. It wouldn't really be that big of a deal if I saw him as a play way above my level. But it's an issue for me because I'm actually better than him. I have better strokes. I serve better. I move waay better.. and yet, I keep losing to him. And this has been going on since I was IN high school years ago and used to play him. It used to drive me insane and now it's kind of happening again. Today I played him and went into this rage on the court after being so frustrated.

The course of the match always go like this: We warm up. I hit amazingly consistent. The match starts. I play solid and strong the first 2-3 games usually get at least one break. But then out of nowhere, ERROR, ERROR, DOUBLE FAULT, ERROR until I lose the match winning just 2-3 games. He hits with virtually no pace. Just pushes and pushes and pushes the ball. And because I'm so geared to play against players who actually have pace, I constantly find myself over thinking for every point. Since I'm usually hitting the ball from such awkward bounces against him, I just can't get into a rhythm at all. That's because every shot bounces in the service line with no pace and I always find my self in the no man's land. You have to understand though that this is not some strategy of his that he secretly found out as my weakness or anything. This is just how he plays. And then randomly, he'll scatter in some good pace shots that totally come off guard. So overall I just lose confidence in my game and my shots. I just really need some advice on how to handle this type of player. Tactically, Mentally, Shotwise.. everything. PLEASE

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #276 on: April 09, 2010, 06:27:40 AM »
Sunds like this guy is just letting you make the mistakes, what you need to do is swap roles with him. Pat a few balls into the middle of the service box, to the point where he is pretty much obliged to attack it: if he's the type of player you say he is, he wont be hitting clean winners from anywhere and he's volleys probably suck too, so bring him forward, make him hit the winners for once.

Something I've worked out over a few years is that especially in singles, up until a very high level matches are almost always decided on unforced errors rather than winners. Bring him forward, make him attack you and watch him fail.

Offline Victor

• Tennis God
« Reply #277 on: April 10, 2010, 03:45:21 AM »
Good that you are getting back into tennis though, keep it up yo!
Dont fight about tennis, support tennis.

I just didn't think I would be seeing a clay court tournament where Roddick is still in it and Nadal is out.   -   Dallas -  31 May, RG 2009

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #278 on: April 10, 2010, 07:06:10 AM »
Spot on Kicker!
It sounds like UFE's and the resulting frustrations are what's causing you to implode.
My guess is that you warm up well and start strong but then after a few games you make a few mistakes.  It's at this point that you remember your history against this type of player and you start to get tight which results in even more errors.  It's a downward spiral from there as you totally forget the sweet warm up and great start to the match.  At some point your head completely explodes.  Ahhh, I know the feeling well. :mad1:

Kick has proposed some excellent solutions.   In addition to forcing the 'pusher' to play shots out of his comfort zone, I think a bit of pre-match preparation might boost your chances as well.

Mental preparation:  You know what the challenges are (minimize UFE's and reduce the frustration level) and what your solutions are (which you've practiced of course!) for overcoming the challenges.  Take 10 min. before you play and during change overs to review those plans. 
STEEL YOURSELF FOR THE BATTLE.  You're tough, mentally and physically.  You have what it takes to win.  Sure, you'll make some mistakes but you're going to learn from them and come back even more resolute.  You may not win, but winning is irrelevant.  The only thing that matters is that you give your best effort.  Every....single...point.

I'd also suggest playing against more than one opponent on a regular basis.
Here's a good formula that worked for me.
Develop a pool of opponents from 3 skill levels.
The first group you can beat fairly easily.  This allows you to try new tactics and strokes without feeling pressured.
The 2nd group is players that you're evenly matched with.  I thought of this as the 'barometer group' (am I improving over the course of a year).

The 3rd group is players that are a level ahead of you.  This was the group that I learned the most from though I NEVER won against these players.

It takes time to develop such a pool of players, but it is well worth the effort.
It can be as simple as starting a Player Contact List amongst your friends and adding to it as you all find new/old players in your area.

Good Luck with the pusher.  You will find him at nearly every level of the game. :))
CONK da ball!!!

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #279 on: April 11, 2010, 04:02:59 PM »
Thanks guys for the input!
It's all good and well. My issue will be just implementing it into my game. I know what it takes to beat him, but it's just not coming forth in how I play. It's really just supposed to be for fun and games and just to stay in shape and all that. So I probably shouldn't even be taking it this seriously. But I just hate losing! lol I'm too competitive for just "fun practice matches".
I'm supposed to play him tomorrow so I'm going to just be calm and relax and see what the outcome is. Then I'll update you all on how it went