Author Topic: Wilsonboy Journal  (Read 57213 times)

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
Wilsonboy ~ Tennis Journal
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2006, 03:43:45 PM »
Well, I'm serving next and I break much easier than I serve. But I definitely think that it's b/c I didn't have the right shoes b/c I wasn't getting to shots that I usually own. drop shots were actually effective against me!! that's new.... don't worry, I'll be kickin ass in a few days...
Be the change that you seek.

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2006, 04:45:54 PM »
I went out today to really focus on my groundstrokes and I realized that I wasn't really throwing my weight into my shots. Thus, I would put so much strain on my arms and that would result in me feeling exhausted quickly during a match. It really didn't occur to me until I saw Serena hit a forhand in slow motion. I learn so much more from just watching someone play instead of being coached.  ;-()

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2006, 07:19:36 PM »
Okay, here's the new article about the whole coach vs No.1 player thing that's going on my team (Lake Brantley High School). This was basically the last draw be4 the team decided to try and get the coach fired. fyi-he was lying in his statement:

(the middle section)

Quote from: "The Orlando Sentinel"
ALTAMONTE SPRINGS -- The Winter Springs boys posted a near-perfect score, and Lake Brantley's girls claimed their fifth consecutive title at the Seminole Athletic Conference tennis tournament Thursday at Lake Brantley High.

The Bears, who have won three of the past four SAC titles, scored 20 points out of a possible 21. Lake Mary, which finished second with 12 points, claimed the other point when Mike Ryan defeated Jesse Huthe at No. 3 singles.

Capturing singles titles for the Bears were Scott Runda, Tim Walsh, Terrence Weigand and Kevin Runda. Huthe and Weigand won the No. 2 doubles title.

Lake Brantley's top player, Ross Fletcher, walked off the court after the doubles semifinals, claiming to have a prior engagement, thus giving the league title to Winter Springs' Scott Runda and Walsh by default.

"If he told me about this at the start of the tournament, I would have used another player at No. 1 doubles," said Lake Brantley boys coach Frank Gooch, who was visibly upset and plans to suspend Fletcher for the Patriots' next match. Lake Brantley's girls reached all seven finals, with Morgan Mitchell winning No. 1 singles and No. 1 doubles with Mai-han Nguyen. Bianca Ferreira won at No. 3 singles.

Other conference champions were Alena Carnero (Winter Springs) at No. 2 singles, Rebecca Savolainen (Winter Springs) at No. 4, Jackie Lavigne (Lake Mary) at No. 5, and Winter Springs' Michelle Abou-Jaoude and Savolainen at No. 2 doubles.

Jill Cousins | Special to the Sentinel
Posted April 7, 2006

What happened was, Ross (the number one player) told our coach about it like the day be4 and he just forgot about it. Anyways, the coach is an ******* and his 'practice sessions' consist of just 30 minutes of rallying. I'm surprised that we even win matches...

Offline SerenaSlam06

• Tennis God
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2006, 08:16:30 PM »
Does your coach work at the school, or did they hire him?
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2006, 08:19:18 PM »
He's just a PE teacher here...

Offline SerenaSlam06

• Tennis God
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2006, 08:25:37 PM »
Oh, then it probably wouldn't be that hard to get a different coach. If they had to get him from somewhere it would've been hard. Just right a petition stating why you guys don't like him and why he should be fired and have the whole team sign it.
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2006, 08:27:26 PM »
Actually, it takes a lot more than that. Try this... we have to get all our parents to write letters reviewing his horrible coaching skill and turn it in to the athletic office just so they can consider it.

Offline SerenaSlam06

• Tennis God
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2006, 08:28:28 PM »
Ouch, you could always send him vaguely threatening letters or toiletpaper his house.

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2006, 08:37:39 PM »
no, we're actually gonna do all that I mentioned up above. It's really THAT bad.

Offline SerenaSlam06

• Tennis God
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2006, 08:42:52 PM »
For a second I thought you were going to send him anonymous threatening letters or toilet paper his house :lmao:

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2006, 07:25:00 AM »
So, I went out to play yesterday and I really kept some new tips in mind; especially the footwork one. And all I have to say is "wow". It's that simple, but yet, so difficult. I was hitting everything perfectly. I had a couple errors b/c I got a little excited, but u don't even know the difference until u try it. I kept moving my feet, taking those little steps to get myself in the perfect position, and I became a backboard/ball-machine. I won my match 6-1, 6-1 in a match against an opponent that I usually have difficulty beating. I think that I can say I'm on the verge of officially calling myself a 4.5 player; I just need to get a little more conrtol of that backhand slice. Recently, it's been off b/c I haven't had to use it much. And my volleying could use a little more aggression.

In addition, I was really focusing and practicing the proper serving technique. Usually, I would serve with a semi-western grip and it's pretty much the most consistent way to serve in my opinion. But, I was really just focussing on the proper way to serve and I've mastered it within a few hours of practicing the serve; my second serve spin is crazy. The thing I noticed though is that it tends to tire u more quickly than the old type of serve I did, forcing me to start grunting halfway throught the match (explains a lot of Williams sisters matches). Overall, I'd say that I improved remarkably in just one weekend.

One thing about the match though, I played it at night. And those are the best condiditons for me: u see everything clearly, and it's not hot as hell. That could be the reason for my strong performance, but hopefully I can keep it up!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2006, 09:28:19 AM »
4.5 player eh?  Cool!  You high school team would be one of the best in the country!  I usually see #1 players for high school float around the 4.5 level.  The best of the best are 5.0.  If you play 4.5 and are at the back end of the varsity list or top of JV list then your team rocks yo!  Typically from what I have seen lower varsity are around 3.5 to lower 4.0.  JV would be low 3.5 and down.  Heck, if you could get your lower half of your varsity to play solid 4.0 tennis you would be very tough!
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2006, 02:40:16 PM »
Well, there's a pretty big gap btw the top 6 players and the rest on the team (I'm number 6) and so I don't really see them improving much. but the thing is, my coach (as I've already told u) didn't play me against any top players in tryouts so I can't really compare myself to the actual players on the team. But I think that with a few USTA tournaments and the right coaching, the #1 spot on the team next year will be mine. I swear on it!! The guys that are #2 and #3, I could probably take right now (especially w/ all the improvement I've made this past week. But I have about a year to get where I want and that's way more time than I need.

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2006, 04:02:29 PM »
SIGH!!! the tennis season is over for us. I'm not realy sweatin it though. I would have liked for it to be longer but it's no big deal. The thing is though, I'm so underestimated on the team that it's really just pisses me off; then I'd get down on myself later. It's like no one is even giving me a chance to prove myself or anything... I hate tennis...

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2006, 04:05:35 PM »
How long is your season over for? will you just play practice matches now in your time off? or take a couple of weeks off to help yourself mentally and physically. Don't get too down about being under- estimated, you just need to show them not to treat you like that anymore the next time you play for them. That's the best way to earn more respect and recognition.
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2006, 04:12:05 PM »
Quote from: "ChrisTaylor1987"
How long is your season over for? will you just play practice matches now in your time off? or take a couple of weeks off to help yourself mentally and physically. Don't get too down about being under- estimated, you just need to show them not to treat you like that anymore the next time you play for them. That's the best way to earn more respect and recognition.

uh... the season's over; as in OVER! as in, not until next january. I'm gonna try and get some USTA tournaments in and stuff to help me improve and I need to find a coach too... I'm pretty fit right now to tell u the truth w/ the exception of a few minor strains and stuff.

As ar as being respected, it's more the fact that I'm not given the CHANCE to prove myself. I didn't even play anyone that's ranked above me in tryouts. Next year, I'm gonna kick some serious ass though b/c I want that #1 spot bad!!! I'm gonna be training like crazy to get match tough.

Offline thejackal

• Tennis God
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2006, 06:58:42 PM »
I wouldnt call myself a 4.5 if I still can't serve with a continental grip.  It's good that you're improving, but I'd make learning a conventional serve a priority for next season.
official blogger

tennisconnected.com

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2006, 07:05:48 PM »
Quote from: "thejackal"
I wouldnt call myself a 4.5 if I still can't serve with a continental grip.  It's good that you're improving, but I'd make learning a conventional serve a priority for next season.

I said that I used served w/ a semiwestern, not that I still do. I've gotten accostomed to the continental grip serve but I sometimes use the semi-western for the extremely crucial points on the second serve.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2006, 07:46:15 PM »
Yikes.  I never like to see peopel switching it up for crucial points.  I think it becomes more predictable.  Seeing the grip switch is easy to detect.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2006, 07:49:21 PM »
Quote from: "Tennis4you"
Yikes.  I never like to see peopel switching it up for crucial points.  I think it becomes more predictable.  Seeing the grip switch is easy to detect.

I hide it.lol. It's really just a way for me to be 99.9% sure that the ball will go it if the wind isn't too heavy. I rarely use it though (either I forget, or I'm dominating)*brushing my shoulders off*