Author Topic: Wilsonboy Journal  (Read 55611 times)

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
Wilsonboy ~ Tennis Journal
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2006, 03:57:39 PM »
Quote from: "wilsonboy"
I just can't deal with it mentally. So many people are expecting me to fail. It's like I don't even expect myself to win anymore. I'm not tryin to throw a pity party or anything but I'm just venting. I feel like a brain tumor about to come along w/ all the stress I'm goin through. My confidence has hit rock bottom. No, It's penetrated the rock and is now exploring the relms of hell.

The thing that made the los hurt so bad was the fact that this was my fourth and final chance to win the class tournament and for some reason I just choked. I mean, I wanted it so badly. The players I played, I could have handed them bagles if I was playing at even half my best, but I couldn't even keep up. I would start out strong w/ breaks and stuff and then just cave in...

I'd advise you take a break of maybe 10 days- 2 weeks, get yourself refreshed and you'll see then that the hungar to get back onto the court to improve will come back. You've been hit hard by defeats you didn't expect and what you said about the class tournament, I fully understand what you're going through there, as I'm playing my school tournament this week for the last ever time, and am so desperate to win both the Singles and Mixed to leave my mark on the school, I'm so despearte to win this to leave my mark on the school and to reward my doubles partner with some success, that this week has been so tough mentally for me, especially yesterday saving 11 match points, I thought I was going to die on court but my sheer motivation pulled me through and I've had to compensate for my injury problems. That motivation for you will soon come back and you will want to get onto the court and show yourself and people around you that you want more and want to improve. Don't think about people expecting you to fail, as all that matters is that you get that out of your head immediately and start believing you can succeed on the court. You can't just stop loving something you have played for a long time, just because of a bad few weeks.
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2006, 04:14:19 PM »
Easier said than done. I don't think that I'm going to take that long of a break. Hell, I'm gonna be back on the courts on Monday. It's just my love and passion for the game that has declined. I don't have the same excitement about playing tennis as I used to...
Be the change that you seek.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2006, 06:05:44 PM »
I just can't deal with it mentally. So many people are expecting me to fail. It's like I don't even expect myself to win anymore. I'm not tryin to throw a pity party or anything but I'm just venting. I feel like a brain tumor about to come along w/ all the stress I'm goin through. My confidence has hit rock bottom. No, It's penetrated the rock and is now exploring the relms of hell.

The thing that made the los hurt so bad was the fact that this was my fourth and final chance to win the class tournament and for some reason I just choked. I mean, I wanted it so badly. The players I played, I could have handed them bagles if I was playing at even half my best, but I couldn't even keep up. I would start out strong w/ breaks and stuff and then just cave in...

I hate it when people say it, especially after a loss, but tennis is 80%(+) mental.  I think match experience counts for an insane amount in big matches.  I cannot stress enough getting out and playing as many tourneys as possible.

If I recall correctly, either you or ARC (maybe both?) went through something similar 6-8 months ago?  McIll kinda laid down the knowledge.  You might wan to sort through the State of Your Game thread and find that post again.  

We have all had our bad times and unmotivation on the court.  I cannot tell you how many times I swore I was done playing tennis and found myself on the court the next day 10 minutes after someone called asking to play.  :)

Hang in there.  I know it sucks.  There is no sport this sweet!
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2006, 12:53:24 PM »
Today was great day of tennis. The problem was that I just wasnt' drinking any water so I was all dehydrated and exhausted during my matches. I played amazing today and won my match 8-1. I was serving at 7-0 but then my footwork was a little sloppy. My volleys were clean and I only remember missing just one shot. My movement felt so good so now I'm all confident in my game. I just wish that I would have started playing like this at the beginning of the tournament b/c I've ruined my chances at the number one spot. My serrve was still a bit awkward but I got my second serves in. Hopefully I'll improve even more. I love tennis.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2006, 12:58:17 PM »
It's official the guy is back. See Wilson never give up, look how quickly your form and love for the game has returned, and that was a perfect match for you to get a lot of confidence going inside you. Good job Wilson you've done yourself, the people around you and me proud :)

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2006, 01:09:19 PM »
thanks!

The thing is though, I know I didn't play my best even though I was dominating. I know that I could have played a lot better. But, kudos to me for the win :))

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2006, 02:50:03 PM »
thanks!

The thing is though, I know I didn't play my best even though I was dominating. I know that I could have played a lot better. But, kudos to me for the win :))

Well that's even better news, to win when your not at your best is always a great boost for a player, especially when you win with such ease.

Offline suzy4hand

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2006, 04:55:08 PM »
all throughout high school, when i had to play lower players than i, my game was never consistent or really solid.  it was mainly because i was used to playing against people who hit the ball firmly and played more closely to my style, so i would hit my best, most solid returns.  if you tend to hit the ball hard and play against people who are softies, you are a lot more likely to overhit it.  but when i would play people ranked higher than i, my game really elevated, and i caused a few upsets.  when i play people who are better than i, it really brings out the best in me, i think most people are the same way

so don't get discouraged if you don't play your best against people who are worse than you, its totally normal!!  but it sounds like you're getting your confidence back, so no worries :)

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2006, 01:16:34 PM »
Quote from: "suzy4hand"
all throughout high school, when i had to play lower players than i, my game was never consistent or really solid.  it was mainly because i was used to playing against people who hit the ball firmly and played more closely to my style, so i would hit my best, most solid returns.  if you tend to hit the ball hard and play against people who are softies, you are a lot more likely to overhit it.  but when i would play people ranked higher than i, my game really elevated, and i caused a few upsets.  when i play people who are better than i, it really brings out the best in me, i think most people are the same way

so don't get discouraged if you don't play your best against people who are worse than you, its totally normal!!  but it sounds like you're getting your confidence back, so no worries :)

You've just summed up my entire high school tennis experience. That's why I never really had a shot in the top spots b/c my "coach" always played me against the sucky people.

Offline suzy4hand

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2006, 01:45:44 PM »
You've just summed up my entire high school tennis experience. That's why I never really had a shot in the top spots b/c my "coach" always played me against the sucky people.

if you feel like your coach is really screwing you over,  you should try and challenge someone above you.  that had a big part to do with how i got ranked in high school, because its hard for the coaches to measure just how good you are when they have other players to manage.  once i challenged a girl ranked above me, that was when my coach really started to take notice, and after that, i rose in the ranks without challenging anyone.  talk to your coach and give it a shot!

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2006, 01:49:33 PM »
Quote from: "suzy4hand"

if you feel like your coach is really screwing you over,  you should try and challenge someone above you.  that had a big part to do with how i got ranked in high school, because its hard for the coaches to measure just how good you are when they have other players to manage.  once i challenged a girl ranked above me, that was when my coach really started to take notice, and after that, i rose in the ranks without challenging anyone.  talk to your coach and give it a shot!

how about, it's really a team problem and we've emailed the principal to have him fired! try that. we'll have a new coach next yr hopefully.

Offline suzy4hand

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2006, 01:59:16 PM »
hmm well i guess you're on your own... haha

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #72 on: April 27, 2006, 07:55:44 AM »
Today was another cleansweep day of tennis. I played clean; my serve was on and my backhand kicked ass. I was up 7-0 be4 losing my composure. Then  I won 8-1. It was fun. Humid as hell, but fun. Tennis rules!!!

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2006, 08:54:32 AM »
Another great victory for you Wilson. Try to hold onto this good run and keep playing as you are right now for as long as you can while looking to improve at the same time. Just remember now next time you have a bad run of results or a few disappointing performances these last couple of matches and then you won't doubt your ability.

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2006, 07:58:41 PM »
Even though I had a pretty good win, again, I feel like I could have played much better. I was rushing a bit. My serve was back to it's stature again though. It turned out that all this time, I was bending my knees enough. So now, I has so much more power on it! It feels good.

Offline suzy4hand

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #75 on: April 27, 2006, 10:00:10 PM »
yay for you!  it's great that you could get a solid, confidence-boosting win under your belt.  don't focus too much on what you didn't do as well on, just remember it all for your next match- not just what you could've done better, but all that went right for you as well.

theres nothing like a blow-out win to get you back in the groove!

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2006, 08:28:26 AM »
I won my doubles match today 8-3. It was fun. I had just one doublefault and we were holding easily on my serve especially. there was this one memorable point though where I played the best defense that I have ever done in a very long time. I running from corner to corner and off the court and stuff and I was getting to shots that I din't think I was going to be able to get to. we won that point on an error (well, at least I won it). It was great. I hope to play a very challenging player soon b/c it's getting kind of boring whooping everyone's ass in my class...;-()

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2006, 07:50:50 AM »
Friday I had a bagel at 8-0 and today,  Iwon my match 8-2. I was serving for the match at 7-1 and then next thing I knew, I was down 15-40. I lost that game but then I steamrolled. I played like crap though in my opinion. My serve wasn't as powerful as usual but it was enough to dismiss my opponent.

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #78 on: May 08, 2006, 06:07:27 AM »
okay, so all the B&M-ing that I've been doing about not winning my dream tourny was pointless!! It turns out that the regular draw tournament is still going to be done so I'm really looking forward to it!! I expect to make the finals but there's one guy who can really shake me if I'm not on my A game. So I'm gonna be "bustin chops" to win this tournament. tournament play should commence on Wednesday; maybe tomorrow. I can't wait.

Also, I realized another thing that I was doing wrong on my forehand that usually makes it go astray: I wasn't keeping my head down on the big shots. I just had an epiphany when I was actually paying attention to the groundstrokes of the pros. I'm gonna try it out today to how big of a difference it makes.

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #79 on: May 08, 2006, 07:57:17 AM »
I didn't realize what 3 days of no tennis (there was no school on friday) could do to my fitness. That, and the way I became a glutton at the Cheesecake factory yesterday(soooo ggoood). Anyways, I was just hitting w/ the really hard guy, and I was running so much. I was out of breath after about 15 minutes... I thought I was gonna die!!!! It's the humidity here. And the fact that I played in the morning time (when it's like 70* outside) makes it worse for me b/c mid-summer afternoons are going to be torture to play tournaments in. siiighgghghghgh.. florida!!