Author Topic: suzy4hand's tennis Journal  (Read 7899 times)

Offline suzy4hand

• Tennis Addict
suzy4hand's tennis Journal
« on: April 17, 2006, 12:04:43 PM »
some general info about me:

Height: 5'6"

Weight: a good woman never tells

Hand: Right

backhand:  depends on my mood; most of the time one-handed

strength: Power, aim/placement, forehand, endurance

weaknes: consistent service

favorite stroke: any and all passing shots

i'm more comfortable behind the baseline, but i can play well at the net if i need to.

i try to play everyday.  my school has great paddleball courts that no one ever uses, so i go there all the days that i'm unable to find someone else to play with me.  The paddleball courts are great for practicing and building up endurance, because the walls can always return the balls to you, and theres a line on the wall that is a close indication of where the net would be.

during the summer i usually go see my instructor 3 times per week, and play all other days.

my backhand used to be my big weapon, but when i got a new instructor, he saw a lot of potential in my forehand, and we've worked a lot to develop it, and its definitely become my biggest strength.  

time to go to class, i'll post more later!  i'd love responses!

Offline thephoenixforce

• Tennis Addict
Re: suzy4hand's tennis blog!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 12:56:14 PM »
Quote from: "suzy4hand"
some general info about me:

Weight: a good woman never tells

weaknes: consistent service

lol

anyway, about the serve, just go out to an empty (stress on empty, i have gotten laughed at) and take out a hopper full of balls and work on your second serve, boring but very very helpful

and about the part where i got laughed at, i challenged these two people (adults) to a set, won (6-2)

"The Podcast [X-cast] sounds really cool!" - Brett Ratner

Ehh, I win battles, not wars.

Offline MoDaisy

• Tennis Player
    • http://www.dadstayshome.com
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 01:05:01 PM »
I agree with Phoenix on the second serve practice. My new coach has me working on nothing but my second serve. It is a spin serve and it is gaining some power. I am suppose to use nothing but the second serve for 3 months. He wants me to be 100% confident in the second serve and then we will work in my first serve.

Offline suzy4hand

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 02:08:11 PM »
my problem doesn't seem to be with my second serve, it's like i either hit an amazing ace or i serve it way outside the service box.
i've recently abbreviated my backswing and it's helped to control my serve, but i still seem to have the same problems.

Offline thephoenixforce

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 02:20:24 PM »
ok, but my advice still stays the same, go to a court and stay there until you are satisfied with your serve, i have recently developed much better control becuase i go out to the court and hit 2~3 hoppers full of balls

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 02:47:56 PM »
my problem doesn't seem to be with my second serve, it's like i either hit an amazing ace or i serve it way outside the service box.
i've recently abbreviated my backswing and it's helped to control my serve, but i still seem to have the same problems.

I've mastered my second serve as much as I could. The thing is, u're definitely going for too much if those are the results of ur serve. I found that if u really focus on ur technique, movement, and motion instead of trying to pop aces, ur consistency will jump up a lot. It just takes patience.
Be the change that you seek.

Offline suzy4hand

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 06:44:33 PM »
i followed everyone's advice tonight, and got a friend to agree to receive all my serves... i slightly adjusted my grip and gave my serve toss a little more height, and i can tell it's making a difference!  but i can already tell my shoulder is gonna be sore in the morning! haha

Offline thephoenixforce

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2006, 06:49:50 PM »
lol
good job

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2006, 06:50:21 PM »
it takes time to get used to. just slap some icy hot on it and it'll be fine. ;-()
Be the change that you seek.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2006, 12:57:18 AM »
i followed everyone's advice tonight, and got a friend to agree to receive all my serves... i slightly adjusted my grip and gave my serve toss a little more height, and i can tell it's making a difference!  but i can already tell my shoulder is gonna be sore in the morning! haha

Just keep working on it like that and you'll see the results. If you can do that for about 30 minutes each day, you will start to really develop a consistent serve that you can rely on in matches. Makesure you find the grip you feel mot comfortable with and stick with that one then. Don't worry too much about the shoulder, you will soon get use to it and that won't be a problem for too long.
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline suzy4hand

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2006, 07:46:36 PM »
well i know my blog has been SUPER boring... we've had awful weather... but whenever the sun comes out, even for a minute, i go and keep workin on my serve. its getting a lot more consistent, which makes me very happy because it has been the only real "missing link" from my game.  i can't wait til summer, when the weather turns warm and sunny, and i can play everyday!  but then its back to my wierd tan-lines...

Offline SerenaSlam06

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2006, 09:38:49 PM »
I know what you mean, I am super tan on my legs and neck/face, and my arms, but i have huge tan lines already, I need to get to the pool or something fast!
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

Offline thejackal

• Tennis God
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2006, 09:42:58 PM »
I'm perma-tanned, lol
official blogger

tennisconnected.com

Offline SerenaSlam06

• Tennis God
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2006, 09:44:54 PM »
I never get very pail, usually stay a little bit, that's probably the Italian in me, but right now i look like one of those old golfers who have huge farmers tans
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

Offline suzy4hand

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2006, 09:48:00 PM »
ugh, i know, tell me about it!!  i have a horrible shoe tan line already. my feet are pale but my legs are super tan! haha and i have about 4 different tan lines from all my various tennis skirts and shirts!  all my friends don't understand how i get them, only fellow tennis players can understand! haha

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2006, 12:46:07 AM »
You seem to be getting worse weather than us, as at least the tournament I am in that is outdoor is totally up to date. Good attitude you have that as soon as it comes nice you get out there and work on your serve, you will see the benefits of that very clearly come the summer.
LOL- About 4 different tan lines- I can see what you mean about you wearing different length shirts and skirts, you must look very different compared to your friends who don't play tennis :)

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Offline suzy4hand

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2006, 01:04:57 AM »
yeah my friends love to make fun of me- i'll show up in a skirt or shorts and sandals, and they love to kid with me and just stare at my tanlines as they talk to me.  they know how much my lines bug me.  the worst lines come from the shirts though, because i always wear racerback style nike tops, but the backs of them all look different!  but during the summer when i'm not on the courts, i'll be tanning by the pool, attempting to get rid of my wierd lines :)

the weather here has been pretty depressing, but its that time of year.  we'll have 10 straight days of only sun, then 4-5 days of nonstop rain and storms.  a few weeks ago, 12 people died in this side of the state because of the storms.  but luckily, the city i'm in is deep in a valley, so storms seem to come to us and split in half, so we never get too severe weather!

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2006, 01:10:54 AM »
yeah my friends love to make fun of me- i'll show up in a skirt or shorts and sandals, and they love to kid with me and just stare at my tanlines as they talk to me.  they know how much my lines bug me.  the worst lines come from the shirts though, because i always wear racerback style nike tops, but the backs of them all look different!  but during the summer when i'm not on the courts, i'll be tanning by the pool, attempting to get rid of my wierd lines :)

the weather here has been pretty depressing, but its that time of year.  we'll have 10 straight days of only sun, then 4-5 days of nonstop rain and storms.  a few weeks ago, 12 people died in this side of the state because of the storms.  but luckily, the city i'm in is deep in a valley, so storms seem to come to us and split in half, so we never get too severe weather!

There only jealous about you playing tennis, so think going on about the tan lines is the best, especially when they know you don't like them, but the pool sounds like a great idea, so you'll be able to get a full tan there, rather than just have lines.

Your weather certainly seems to change quite a lot what with sun for 10 days and then non- stop rain for 4-5 days. Sounds really bad the storms, especially when you consider 12 people lost their lives, they must have been really bad. Lucky for you that you are in a valley, so you don't get the storms half as bad, which is a bit of a relief for you and to hear about.

Offline suzy4hand

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2006, 01:17:19 AM »
yeah, while i don't like my wierd tan lines, i think deep down they're like battlescars to me, its like i've earned them and worked hard for them, if that makes any sense haha

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2006, 01:23:21 AM »
yeah, while i don't like my wierd tan lines, i think deep down they're like battlescars to me, its like i've earned them and worked hard for them, if that makes any sense haha

Good way of looking at it, you've had to play in hot temperatures in the sun to get them, so yes you've earnt them :H
Like your new avatar, by the way who are your favourite players on both the ATP and WTA Tours?