Author Topic: suzy4hand's tennis Journal  (Read 7568 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline suzy4hand

  • Tennis Addict
  • ****
  • Posts: 324
suzy4hand's tennis Journal
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2006, 01:38:06 AM »
my favorite atp player is definitely rafael nadal, i first noticed him in the Rome final last year, and i'm hooked!  i'm very superstitious, so i have a shirt that i always have to wear for good luck when i watch him play

i don't follow the wta as closely as i do the atp, but i'd have to say that my favorite women would be sharapova and clijsters, probably because my style of play is most like them

Offline Chris1987

  • Tennis God
  • ******
  • Posts: 40084
  • Gender: Male
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
suzy4hand's tennis Journal
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2006, 01:50:44 AM »
Quote from: "suzy4hand"
my favorite atp player is definitely rafael nadal, i first noticed him in the Rome final last year, and i'm hooked!  i'm very superstitious, so i have a shirt that i always have to wear for good luck when i watch him play

i don't follow the wta as closely as i do the atp, but i'd have to say that my favorite women would be sharapova and clijsters, probably because my style of play is most like them


Bit like me as I love watching Nadal playing, and that Rome Final was one of the very best matches I have ever watched, so it was probably the best match for you to notice him. Superstitious hey- wearing the same top all the time, that's good as long as he keeps winning when you wear it, otherwise the doubts will flood in :) I love watching Fed as well, as even when he wins 6/0, 6/1 you've got to love the guy and the way he goes about his business both on and off court, I real class act indeed. So I'm a bit split over those two really.

It's great that you like Maria, as there's not a great deal who like her on the boards, for a few reasons, so it's good when someone comes out and says they like her. I'll always support Maria not matter what happens, as I've followed her since a month before she was 16, so it's great she's enjoyed success. I also really like Maria Kirilenko and am really made up at the steps forward she's taken this year and as a reward is now in the Russian Fed Cup team.
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!


Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline suzy4hand

  • Tennis Addict
  • ****
  • Posts: 324
suzy4hand's tennis Journal
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2006, 01:59:30 AM »
oh yeah, i am SO superstitious; and the ONE time i didn't wear the shirt was my school's first football game of the season, i was at the game and nadal was playing blake in the US open, and i came home during the 4th and final set, and i quickly put the shirt on, but it was too late.  so ever since, i always wear it when i get to see his matches televised, and it ALWAYS works

i think federer's great too, but i'm just starting to get tired of him ALWAYS winning, and ALWAYS dominating the rankings.  i think its another reason i like nadal so much, i see him as the one guy who could overtake federer, although it probably wont happen for a while.

i definitely think maria takes a lot of heat, definitely a lot more than she should, but its kind of a good sign because it means she has great potential so people really expect a lot from her.  but yeah, i have noticed that people here like to dig into her when the opportunity presents itself!

Offline Chris1987

  • Tennis God
  • ******
  • Posts: 40084
  • Gender: Male
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
suzy4hand's tennis Journal
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2006, 02:13:13 AM »
Well if the semi's and final of Monte Carlo are televised where you live, you better get the sirt out ready because he's got a big test today against Gaudio, as long as Gaudio played as he did yesterday and then more than likely playing Fed in the final, has the makings of one of the very best finals for a long time.

That's the feeling with Fed, people look at his domination from two different ways, some love to see him dominate and keep winning, picking off the records and taking the game to new heights, whereas others become bored of his success and feel that the same person continuously keeps winning, taking away some of the excitement. I love to see Roger keep winning, as I want to see him become the very best ever, but if Roger and Rafael both make it to the final this week I really don't know who I want to see win, as I hope Roger wins all 9 Masters Series titles in his career, which I think he will do, but also want to see Rafael get closer to Vilas record of 53 consecutive wins on clay(Rafael now on 40)

Yeah there are a lot of people who expect great things from Maria so if that doesn't quite happen she can get shot at very easily. A lot of people also don't like the way she is on court, which I've never had a problem with, as she always gives 100% and you know she is always going to be up for every match. At least you've noticed that people take a dig at Maria whenever an opportunity presnts itself, as it happens quite a lot, and I spend a lot of my time not justt here but in life defending her and things she gets criticised for.
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!


Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline Tennis4you

  • Administrator
  • Tennis God
  • ******
  • Posts: 24853
  • Gender: Male
    • Tennis4you
suzy4hand's tennis Journal
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2006, 06:30:00 AM »
Quote from: "suzy4hand"
oh yeah, i am SO superstitious; and the ONE time i didn't wear the shirt was my school's first football game of the season, i was at the game and nadal was playing blake in the US open, and i came home during the 4th and final set, and i quickly put the shirt on, but it was too late.  so ever since, i always wear it when i get to see his matches televised, and it ALWAYS works

i think federer's great too, but i'm just starting to get tired of him ALWAYS winning, and ALWAYS dominating the rankings.  i think its another reason i like nadal so much, i see him as the one guy who could overtake federer, although it probably wont happen for a while.

i definitely think maria takes a lot of heat, definitely a lot more than she should, but its kind of a good sign because it means she has great potential so people really expect a lot from her.  but yeah, i have noticed that people here like to dig into her when the opportunity presents itself!


I am a little superstitious as well.  When I made my run to Nationals we had to travel to several places to win certain regionals to be able to go to Nationals.  Well, I ate Subway at the very first one, and since we won, I ate Subway at each event all the way through Nationals.  :)
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline suzy4hand

  • Tennis Addict
  • ****
  • Posts: 324
suzy4hand's tennis Journal
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2006, 04:16:53 PM »
today was the first sunny day in a LONG time, but yesterday i participated in "relay for life," a cancer fundraiser on campus, and ran for an insanely long time, and i'm so sore i could barely get out of bed this morning... but in order to get my tennis fix for the day, i'm watching my dvd of nadal's french open final :)

Offline Tennis4you

  • Administrator
  • Tennis God
  • ******
  • Posts: 24853
  • Gender: Male
    • Tennis4you
suzy4hand's tennis Journal
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2006, 07:45:57 PM »
LOL.  How far did you run?
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline suzy4hand

  • Tennis Addict
  • ****
  • Posts: 324
suzy4hand's tennis Journal
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2006, 10:21:52 PM »
it was probably around 10-12 miles... not quite what i'm used to haha

Offline Chris1987

  • Tennis God
  • ******
  • Posts: 40084
  • Gender: Male
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
suzy4hand's tennis Journal
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2006, 01:28:46 AM »
Wow! No wonder your tired, especially if you're not use to it. I bet you were sore for a while afterwards.
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!


Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline MoDaisy

  • Tennis Player
  • **
  • Posts: 29
    • http://www.dadstayshome.com
suzy4hand's tennis Journal
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2006, 04:44:01 AM »
Great running! I usually run 4 times per week with a long run on Sundays of 11.5 - 12 miles but this AM I am resting as I am trying to rest an ankle issue that serviced this week while playing a little hoops.

I hope that you recover soon.

Offline suzy4hand

  • Tennis Addict
  • ****
  • Posts: 324
suzy4hand's tennis Journal
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2006, 08:05:16 PM »
i wasn't nearly as sore today, so after nadal's victory (YAY!!!) i went out to our single courts and did some light hitting, and made sure to just hit it right back to myself so i didn't have to run too much.  afterwards i did light, low intensity running on the elliptical in the gym and did some yoga afterwards to stretch myself out.  so my body's feelin good, but were supposed to have 3 straight days of rain and thunderstorms, so i think it'll be a while til i can get back out on the court.

Offline Chris1987

  • Tennis God
  • ******
  • Posts: 40084
  • Gender: Male
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
suzy4hand's tennis Journal
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2006, 12:31:16 AM »
Quote from: "suzy4hand"
i wasn't nearly as sore today, so after nadal's victory (YAY!!!) i went out to our single courts and did some light hitting, and made sure to just hit it right back to myself so i didn't have to run too much.  afterwards i did light, low intensity running on the elliptical in the gym and did some yoga afterwards to stretch myself out.  so my body's feelin good, but were supposed to have 3 straight days of rain and thunderstorms, so i think it'll be a while til i can get back out on the court.


Good to get some play in while the weather's okay. Hopefully you don't get much rain so you can get back out onto the court and keep working hard on your game.
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!


Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline suzy4hand

  • Tennis Addict
  • ****
  • Posts: 324
suzy4hand's tennis Journal
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2006, 10:14:18 PM »
okay, i may as well be honest, i'm posting right now because i'm stalling writing a sociology paper... but here goes nothin!

our string of bad weather FINALLY let up, and there wasn't a cloud in the sky!  i didn't have any classes today, so i woke up and went to the single courts before it got hot, and did some great work on my backhand, which has been a little rusty as of late.  then, later in the afternoon, i played with a girl who is on the tennis team here at UT.  she is in one of my classes, and we got to talking the other day, and she asked me if i wanted to play!  apparently she's tired of playing against other division I athletes... anyways,  she is insanely good, but i like to think i gave her a run for her money... although she would probably tell you differently.  

i was serving really well, and responding really well to the ample spin she put on the ball.  i haven't been able to play much lately because of the weather, and i think the few days off did me a little good.  my backhands have been soaring long, but i was really able to keep them under control today.  eventually though, she figured out that i'm not as good at volleys, and tried to end points at the net as often as she could, but i was pretty good at making sure they didn't come down to that :)

Offline suzy4hand

  • Tennis Addict
  • ****
  • Posts: 324
suzy4hand's tennis Journal
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2006, 12:12:59 AM »
i've sequestered myself in my dorm for the last week studying for finals, and i really hope it pays off!  i haven't been able to play much, but i was able to get out yesterday with a friend and we played for a good 2 hours or so... but summer is right around the corner!

i'll be seeing my instructor 2 or 3 times a week, and i'll play all other days!  haha we've missed each other deeply.  i think i'll also be helping him with a little kids tennis camp during the mornings.

i have a friend whos parents just built a court on their land, and were so excited to test it out!!  

i am so excited and ready for summer!!!

Offline boobear

  • Tennis Player
  • **
  • Posts: 10
    • http://www.geocities.com/babysproule/MyBodyBuildingPicsPage.html
suzy4hand's tennis Journal
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2006, 02:15:48 AM »
Quote from: "suzy4hand"
my problem doesn't seem to be with my second serve, it's like i either hit an amazing ace or i serve it way outside the service box.
i've recently abbreviated my backswing and it's helped to control my serve, but i still seem to have the same problems.


I am struggling a bit with my service also. I know a few tips (I should take my advice as well). Toss is important, and its good to be able to have a consistent, similar and constant  toss (same length, same position etc). Also the hand that tosses the ball should be kept up in the air as long as possible (as if you are gonna grab the ball), and your face should point up toward the ball (sorta like you are gonna grab the ball (imagine its a grape) on the way down with your mouth). Also the contact point should be as high as possible (so reach up and actually stretch up to hit the ball as it just starts to come down). Knee bending is VERY important as it will give your swing a lot of power. Weight shifting is also important after you hit the ball (stepping into the court). Good luck. Like someone else pointed out, get a bucket of balls......

-hs
I have already planned out my fantasy, I am working on my reality.

Offline boobear

  • Tennis Player
  • **
  • Posts: 10
    • http://www.geocities.com/babysproule/MyBodyBuildingPicsPage.html
suzy4hand's tennis Journal
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2006, 02:17:01 AM »
Quote from: "boobear"
Quote from: "suzy4hand"
my problem doesn't seem to be with my second serve, it's like i either hit an amazing ace or i serve it way outside the service box.
i've recently abbreviated my backswing and it's helped to control my serve, but i still seem to have the same problems.


I am struggling a bit with my service also. I know a few tips (I should take my advice as well). Toss is important, and its good to be able to have a consistent, similar and constant  toss (same length, same position etc). Also the hand that tosses the ball should be kept up in the air as long as possible (as if you are gonna grab the ball), and your face should point up toward the ball (sorta like you are gonna grab the ball (imagine its a grape) on the way down with your mouth). Also the contact point should be as high as possible (so reach up and actually stretch up to hit the ball as it just starts to come down). Knee bending is VERY important as it will give your swing a lot of power. Weight shifting is also important after you hit the ball (stepping into the court). Good luck. Like someone else pointed out, get a bucket of balls......

-hs


Keep the abbreviated backswing on the second serve only, it will help prevent double faults. Tomas Enqvist used to serve with a short backswing. He could hit the ball pretty hard.

-hs
I have already planned out my fantasy, I am working on my reality.

Offline suzy4hand

  • Tennis Addict
  • ****
  • Posts: 324
suzy4hand's tennis Journal
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2006, 01:00:38 AM »
i am back with my instructor, and GOD am i glad!  he knows me so well, and he explains everything in ways he know i understand, and knows exactly how to motivate me.  once i got back with him my serve sort of fell into place, which is a huge relief, because when i don't serve well it really messes up my confidence for the rest of a match.  on thursday he had me play against another girl he coaches, and i beat her 6-4, 6-4.  she is really good and i had to play her once in a district tournament in high school, and she beat me, so it was sweet revenge.  he had us play again friday and i won 6-1, 6-4.  the second set wasn't all that easy, she broke my serve twice, but people breaking my serve is always a huge motivator for me.  i'm somewhat of a vengeful tennis player :)

i've been to him every day this week, sort of a week long "boot camp," and starting next week i'll start going twice or 3 times a week, and i'll play all other days, weather permitting.  it has been as hot and humid as satan's lair, and it'll only get worse, so i'll have to start getting out early in the mornings or late at night.

i am completely worn out after a week long ass-kicking by my instructor, i'm going to sleep!!!

<3 suzy