Author Topic: soccer world cup!  (Read 20116 times)

Offline RainerShuttle

• Tennis God
soccer world cup!
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2006, 07:31:36 PM »
Kittens, I'm surprised by your level of football knowledge. The streotypical view is that people from your neck of the woods, and that includes the States, know very little, nor indeed care very little, about football but your little blurb there shows that ain't true for you. I actually agree with everything you say there too, with regards to how the next few days will pan out - Brazil will certianly have to play better to oust Spain but, hey, it's Brazil - if anyone can just turn it on, it's the Brazilians.

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
soccer world cup!
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2006, 10:18:36 AM »
I'm so glad that England won. In the first half, they were playing soooooo well, but then they kinda fell off once Owen broke his knee or whatever. Rooney kinda saved then for the rest of it. I was hoping that they could win the match against Sweden since they haven't done it in like 40 years, but I guess a tie equals the frustration of both teams.

It seemed as if they got some new life when Ferdenand switched w/ Campbell. Hopefully owen's injury isn't too bad and he can play in their next match... Go England!
Be the change that you seek.

Offline RainerShuttle

• Tennis God
soccer world cup!
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2006, 11:21:52 AM »
Quote from: "wilsonboy"
I'm so glad that England won. In the first half, they were playing soooooo well, but then they kinda fell off once Owen broke his knee or whatever. Rooney kinda saved then for the rest of it. I was hoping that they could win the match against Sweden since they haven't done it in like 40 years, but I guess a tie equals the frustration of both teams.

It seemed as if they got some new life when Ferdenand switched w/ Campbell. Hopefully owen's injury isn't too bad and he can play in their next match... Go England!

Owen is out for at least five months.

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
soccer world cup!
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2006, 02:32:39 PM »
Quote from: "RainerShuttle"
Kittens, I'm surprised by your level of football knowledge. The streotypical view is that people from your neck of the woods, and that includes the States, know very little, nor indeed care very little, about football but your little blurb there shows that ain't true for you. I actually agree with everything you say there too, with regards to how the next few days will pan out - Brazil will certianly have to play better to oust Spain but, hey, it's Brazil - if anyone can just turn it on, it's the Brazilians.

Thanks for the compliment, although I dont consider myself highly knowledgable on football at all.  I do take advantage of the reasonably good coverage(mostly tapes from Europe)here in Canada and watch as much as I can, and since I started to find players and clubs I like, tracking results as much as I can as well.    I do enjoy a sport that shows so much depth around the World, rather then just American-oriented depth like basketball or football.

Yeah Brazil will probably pick it up a couple notches vs Spain, and even a notch if they play Italy in the round of 16.   Those teams will still have to come up with something exceptional to have even a shot of taking them out, although Spain still has a shot IMO.

The tournament still has alot of intrigue coming up, but the battle lines are already being drawn, the draw of the elimination round is starting to take shape, and the excitement of the tournament, and the suspense is starting to build.

It was sad to see Owens go down yesterday, he is one of my favorite players.    ;>)

Offline SerenaSlam06

• Tennis God
soccer world cup!
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2006, 12:31:19 PM »
woo! Italy beat the Czech 2-0 and probably avoid a meeting with Brazil. good job to sub Materazi, after he scored the first goal when headed it in on a corner kick from from Totti.
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
soccer world cup!
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2006, 01:03:30 PM »
Quote from: "SerenaSlam06"
woo! Italy beat the Czech 2-0 and probably avoid a meeting with Brazil. good job to sub Materazi, after he scored the first goal when headed it in on a corner kick from from Totti.
Azule![/color]

Based on today's results thus far, my new set of favs are

Italia[/color]
Germany
Portugal
Mexico
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline NJtennis11

• Tennis God
soccer world cup!
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2006, 01:07:38 PM »
Go Australia, win and your in!

Offline thephoenixforce

• Tennis Addict
soccer world cup!
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2006, 03:54:16 PM »
and the US is out!!

thus ends our dreams of world domination!

lol

"The Podcast [X-cast] sounds really cool!" - Brett Ratner

Ehh, I win battles, not wars.

Offline gm3106

• Tennis God
soccer world cup!
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2006, 05:11:35 PM »
Argentina just beat Mexico 2-1 after extra time - match of the tournament so far, imo. I expect Argentina to beat the hosts Germany in the hext round tho it could be very tight.............

Offline thephoenixforce

• Tennis Addict
soccer world cup!
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2006, 06:08:39 PM »
im expecting a 2-1 german victory over argentina

"The Podcast [X-cast] sounds really cool!" - Brett Ratner

Ehh, I win battles, not wars.

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
soccer world cup!
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2006, 01:56:19 PM »
Well the first round has gone as expected so far.   I certainly expected Argentina to beat Mexico, but it turned out to be tougher then I thought it would be.   Even with a injury-riddled team I thought England would win out over Ecaudor.    I thought Germany would have little problem with Sweden the way Germany has looked so far.     The Portugal-Netherlands match is the first really interesting first round matchup.    Italy should beat Australia, but Australia look like a plucky team, and very physical, and Italy isnt quite as intimidating as in years past so they best be careful.   Brazil I would be shocked to lose in this round, but still Ghana has looked very impressive in their final two pool games, it could be a bit closer then anybody thinks, but then again Brazil really picked it up a notch in their final pool game, which would have been 8-1 without the Japanese goalie playing so well.     I see Spain winning out over declining France, and Switzerland coming through vs Ukraine.

I also am not convinced on that Germany-Argentina matchup.   Argentina played a tame final round robin game with the Dutch, but so did the Dutch who rested a bunch of starters, it is like both countries were happy with their draw and were playing for the scoreless tie anyway, so I did not read much into that after seeing it.   Argentina really struggled with Mexico yesterday though, they look like they may have already peaked.   Germany will be inspired by the home crowd, if Argentina can score first I think they win, but if not they could be in alot of trouble.

Offline SerenaSlam06

• Tennis God
soccer world cup!
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2006, 11:59:46 AM »
Totti with the penalty kick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He is my freaking hero. Calciaro dell'Italia asino!
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
soccer world cup!
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2006, 06:11:18 PM »
Well I am surprised at alot of the last couple of day.   I did think Switzerland would beat Ukraine, but Ukraine has improved gradualy since their first game vs Spain, and neither country are a soccer powerhouse, but both are quite good, so it still should not be that shocking a result.   Poor Swizterland makes history two ways, the first team to not give up a goal excluding shootouts and eliminated, and the first team to not even score in a shootout.   Talk about nerves.  

Spain losing to France today surprised me alot.   Spain was looking so good, but as RainerSchuttle warned they had not exactly faced the most stellar opposition so far.   Spain is a contender always knocking on the door, but never making the big breakthrough and they wont do it here this year, that is a shame for them.   France I referred to multiple times as a declining power, Henry is still great, a few others are still efficient, but alot of their stars and team depth have gone downhill the last 4 years.    However Zidane looked like he played his best game of the tournament today, probably did not want to end his great career with a loss in the round of 16 of World Cup.   They played by far their best game of the tourament today, and look like they have something to try and prove.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
soccer world cup!
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2006, 10:12:23 AM »
Babblelot's new Group of Death

Italia[/color]
Brazil
Germany
England

Five of us still have a shot at winning, however, should GER lose to ARG Friday, two are out (including Babblelot). If GER def. ARG, three are out.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
soccer world cup!
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2006, 01:35:55 PM »
Argentina falls to Germany today in a shootout.   Score was 1-1, and Germany wins the shootout 4-2.   I guess Germany will probably make the final now for the second straight World Cup, since Italy have looked very off form so far.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
soccer world cup!
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2006, 02:09:39 PM »
Quote from: "kittens25"
Argentina falls to Germany today in a shootout.   Score was 1-1, and Germany wins the shootout 4-2.   I guess Germany will probably make the final now for the second straight World Cup, since Italy have looked very off form so far.
Yes, and that win catapults Babblelot into the Finals.

Assuming they both reach the semis, the winner of the BRA (Babblelot) v ENG match takes 200 large.

;-()

Offline SerenaSlam06

• Tennis God
soccer world cup!
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2006, 11:04:36 PM »
sigh, Italia<3

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
soccer world cup!
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2006, 03:08:03 PM »
Oh yeah, I won the pot. The entrants included 3 Europeans, so I'm feeling pretty good about myself.

:winner:

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
soccer world cup!
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2006, 04:10:15 PM »
Quote from: "Babblelot"
Oh yeah, I won the pot. The entrants included 3 Europeans, so I'm feeling pretty good about myself.

:winner:

Congrats.   :H

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
soccer world cup!
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2006, 04:48:10 PM »
Vive la France, I hope they win the final over those diving Italians.   They should have been out in their round of 16 match with Australia, what a bogus dive to win that game with the bogus penalty kick.