Author Topic: Serving Drills???  (Read 952 times)

Offline zebrasinamerica

• Tennis Player
Serving Drills???
« on: June 10, 2006, 10:06:42 AM »
Hey everyone I was wondering if anyone could pass along some serving drills that would help me develop sound mechanics including the toss and service motion. I have been playing since last summer (but didn't have a club to play at over the winter) so i'm still pretty new to the world of tennis and i'm not expecting to go out there and serve 90+ mph and hit 90% of my first serves in, I am just wanting to develop good mechanics that I can repeat over and over and improve with practice.

Thanks all

ZEBRA

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Serving Drills???
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 10:11:47 AM »
Hey Zebra, welcome to the forums!

In the Tennis4you Workshop there is a handful of service drills.  Here is the link to the workshop.  It can always be accessed from the homepage of Tennis4you.com as well.

http://www.tennis4you.com/workshop/workshop.htm
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
Serving Drills???
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 10:44:55 AM »
The toss is the easiest to work on.  
You don't even have to be on a tennis court. You can practice the toss by just tossing and letting it drop.  When it bounces it should be about a foot in front and to the right of your front foot.
Just keep tossing and letting it bounce. You want to look at where the ball lands, but also you should be letting go of the ball at the top of the up swing of your tossing arm. The ball shouldn't be in flight more than a couple feet (unless you want a very high toss like Kiefer, or Graf). Hold your tossing arm up until the ball comes back down to get the feel of keeping that arm up, which is what you should do during a serve. Also, try to keep from imparting spin on the ball as you release it. Some toss it from their fingertips or from a 'C' created by the thumb and index finger to accomplish that.
Do that for as long as you have the patience to keep doing it. The toss is an extremely important part of the serve.
Another serve toss practice drill is to stand in front of a tall chain link, or forgving fence (a brick wall is not what you want here). Set up as if you are going to serve through the fence. Toss the ball and, with a normal serve motion and try to trap it against the fence with your serve motion. Try to use as normal a motion as possible. It's not easy as you don't want to do damage to your racquet. You are trying to establish how high your toss should be so that it's apex is right where the face of your racquet will be in your motion, and establishing the rythym of your motion.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)