Author Topic: chipncharge journal  (Read 1652 times)

Offline chipncharge

• New Poster
chipncharge journal
« on: July 04, 2006, 12:29:33 AM »
Hi-

Background:
I really started playing within the last couple of years, seriously in the past year. Before that, I had messed around on my own occasionally, but without classes or lessons (or skill). Now I am tennis-obsessed. I'm 35, 5'11'', 167 lbs.

Level:
I'm roughly a 3.0 player. I take weekly lessons, play 2-4 times a week.

Equipment:
I use a head ti S2 racquet, 102 inches, head heavy, strung w/gut, 60 pounds.

Strengths/Weaknesses:
I have a fairly consistent serve, continental grip, with variable power, although with an inverse power/consistency relationship, unfortunately. Moderate topspin forehand w/some power, mostly moderate slice or flat backhand, but can drive the backhand sometimes. Both eastern grip.

My real strength now (pending developing more consistency and strength in all aspects of the game) is that I have speed and good court coverage, and fairly good reflexes, and I like to play at net, in singles and doubles.

My second serve is a serious weakness, as is trying to put any spin on the serve. My drop shots are iffy-- sometimes strong, sometimes very weak, particularly the farther I get from the net.

Goal:
Since I'm a real late-comer to the game, I want to improve as fast as humanly possible. My immediate goal though is to play, and do well in, local league matches, over the next few years. I plan to start with matches this year. So I'll post my progress here, and  hopefully it'll be at least a little interesting, as I've found others' journals interesting. And I'll need all the advice and moral support I can get! :-)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
chipncharge journal
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 07:15:51 AM »
Welcome to the forums chipncharge!  35 might be late compared to a lot of people but I have seen some people start at about that age in within 5-6 year they were playing in 4.5 which was super impressive.

The tennis lessons will help you a ton!  Be sure to keep that going, especially if you want to improve fast.

I look forward to reading about your progress.  Welcome to the Forum!
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Richard

• Tennis Pro
chipncharge journal
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 06:32:44 PM »
Hi, chipncharge.=8^)

Welcome to the board.

I hear the San Francisco weather is great!  Lombard street!=8^)

That expensive hotel...(The Fairmont?)
http://www.forbes.com/2002/03/07/0307feat_8.html
  ...and restaurants=8^)...

No more Ghirardelli chocolate givaways, though?

(Only been there once, 1974...makes me, 50, in five days.--) :))