Tennis Discussions > Tennis Discussions

Instant Replay

(1/2) > >>

Tennis4you:
Looks like the US Open will start to use the instant replay for the judges.  I hope they are capable of doing that.  I think it would be interesting.  I am not sure in what capacity they plan on using it (I am not sure they are either) but it should be interesting none the less.

--- Quote ---US Open to embrace video help for close calls
January 27, 2005

The US Open is set to become the first grand slam tennis tournament to introduce computer-generated video replays to help umpires rule on contentious line-calls, US officials said yesterday.

A US Tennis Association spokesman said the body was "very bullish" about the move to provide umpires with electronic replay aids, as reported in The Age yesterday, and was keen to act at the 2005 championships after the uproar at last year's tournament.

The controversial quarter-final between Jennifer Capriati and Serena Williams was marred by a series of rulings against Williams that replays later showed were wrong.

Capriati advanced but US Open officials removed umpire Mariana Alves before later apologising to Williams for the blunders. Now USTA officials are anxious to avoid any chance of a repeat by making use of advances in technology.

"We are bullish in our desire to have some form of electronic line-calling technology in use at the 2005 US Open," USTA spokesman Chris Widmaier said.

"The Jennifer Capriati-Serena Williams match really brought the desire to provide technological aids to the forefront."

Widmaier said a task force had been formed to look at options and emphasised that no decisions had been taken.

Hawkeye and Auto-Ref systems already used with success by television broadcasters are among the options.

"We are taking a look at all the existing systems," said Widmaier. "There are two main issues we need to determine - which will be the most accurate and the most consistent.

"I can say that Auto-Ref is accurate to within three or four millimetres. That means it's accurate to the fuzz of the ball," Widmaier said.

"But we've got to look at how the system performs under all conditions - different light, heat, shadows on the court."

US officials would test any chosen system behind the scenes, possibly at a Davis Cup match later this year.

The USTA would like to have the system ready in time for the start of the American hardcourt season in July.

Widmaier said the USTA was working closely with the International Tennis Federation and the WTA and ATP tours.

How the system would work was also yet to be decided, he added. "It could be a player challenge system, where a player gets the right to have one or two challenges per set. There's a lot of possibilities," he added.

The US move to make use of technology has won the backing of the ITF rules committee chairman Geoff Pollard, who confirmed that the sport's governing body was trialling the Hawkeye and Auto-Ref systems.

The issue of technology divided stars at the Australian Open yesterday after the women's quarter-finals.

Lindsay Davenport said she was against using technology unless it was used everywhere.

"I've always been against electronic line calling," Davenport said. "Technology is evolving . . . but for now, I kind of stick to the linesmen."

Alicia Molik gave a qualified approval to electronic replays as long as it did not disrupt play.

"I think to a certain degree it may help," she said. "But at the same time, it may hold up play.

"It means you've got to go back, you've got to see the replay, you've got to have a few judges look at it.

"Tennis is a very flowing game, so I think to a certain extent it would disrupt players' routines and affect the timing of the way matches run."

- AFP
--- End quote ---

gary2414:
I would like hte player challenge for instant replay.  However there is a catch. If you think a ball that is served or returned to you went out of bounds or is a fault you cannot play the point and then ask for he replay if you lose the point later.  You have to let it go by.  If you win the challenge you win the point unless it was a first serve in which case your opponent would get a second serve and if you lost the challenge you lose the point.  If a point you hit or served is called out of bounds or fault and you want to challenge you can but if you win the challenge it be only be a let if they felt the out or fault call affected play.  If you lose the challenge you lose the point or if it was a first serve you get a second serve.  You would get three challenges total in a best of three set match and five challenges total in a best of five set match. If all of you challenges are correct you would get one more challenge in a best of three set match and two more in a best of five set match.  Many players I think would save it for game and set points.

Tennis4you:
I would pissed if I hit an ace, it was called out and I argued and only got a let for it though.  I think it will be interesting how they choose to use it.  I like the concepts listed above though, they need some kind of rule system.

I say the players never get to see it, only the ref.

Jamesdster:
Would the players have to throw a little red flag onto the court before the start of the next point to challenge the call?

gary2414:
If you hit an ace and it was called out you might get a let if the refs thought because of the out call the other player did not try to return it.  If they thought  it was unreturnable you would win the point.  Perhpas if you get a let rather than the point your sucessful challenge does not count against the total challenges you are allowed.  Only challenges in which you win a point as well as incorrect challenges count in the total you are allowed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version