Author Topic: Leg Cramps - No Bananas  (Read 1223 times)

Offline TrueFX

• Tennis Player
Leg Cramps - No Bananas
« on: July 22, 2006, 08:44:43 PM »
I just played 2 marathon singles matches in a tournament today.  My first match went almost 3 hours while the second was a good 2.5 hours.  This exhaustion was compounded by the 95+ degree heat here in the desert.  I went through both matches drinking 5 - 32 OZ Gatorades, and 6 - 9 OZ bottles of water.  I felt fine when all was said and done, but I had an hour long ride back home.  Upon trying to get out of my car, one hamstring cramped up.  My reaction to the first hammy cramping caused my calf to cramp up.  As I removed all weight from my right leg, my left leg went through the exact same thing.  Sooooo... I had both hammies and and both calves cramped at the same time!  

I heard eating Bananas during and between matches can greatly reduce the risk of cramping because of the Potassium.  My problem is that I am allergic to Bananas.  My throat swells up blocking my windpipe (possibly a fate worst than the cramps).  Any suggestions as to a good substitute?  I stretch a good deal before every match as well.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

TrueFX

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Leg Cramps - No Bananas
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 09:21:03 PM »
Holy crap!  I hope none of the neighbors were outside to see the show!

I am not sure, I have actually never cramped up which is suprising.  I am anxious to hear others thoughts on this.  Sorry I am of no help.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
Leg Cramps - No Bananas
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 12:20:03 PM »
That has happened to me multiple times.  When it is really bad one cramp can trigger cramps all throughout your body.  Once after 3 matches in a day, we were back chilling in a swimming pool when the flow of the water around my muscles caused a cramp in my feet which tensed my body up and after that it was cramp city...all the way up the body.  I jumped out of the pool spasming and lay as still as I could not moving any body part.  My friends all got a good laugh at me convulsing for a while.  If you can't eat bananas try getting potassium from something else maybe even potassium pills if you have to.

Offline blisteringboom

• Tennis God
Leg Cramps - No Bananas
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 12:46:54 PM »
i have never cramped up im 14 so.... but why does it happen>
"So soon it parted , lifting itself into the air. It bent the world did. High was low , low was high ,and so he soared into the ground that was the sky." Tyler Vergil