Author Topic: Sharapova / Williams thoughts  (Read 4427 times)

Offline BitterBlueBong

• Tennis God
Sharapova / Williams thoughts
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2005, 12:32:37 PM »
LOL. It wasn't like Sharapova praised Serena for a match well played. But maybe I'm the only one here who couldn't give a damn what the players say in post-match press conferences (unless they say something entirely newsworthy).

Offline timd818

• Tennis God
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2005, 12:49:05 PM »
True, but she didn't make those lame Serena/Venus excuses that we're all sick and tired for hearing.
I've been a tennis bum for half my life.
I'll just be a bum for the other half.

Offline BitterBlueBong

• Tennis God
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2005, 02:02:11 PM »
Quote from: "timd818"
excuses that we're all sick and tired for hearing.

And sick and tired of hearing about.

Offline timd818

• Tennis God
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2005, 02:06:17 PM »
Quote from: "BitterBlueBong"
Quote from: "timd818"
excuses that we're all sick and tired for hearing.

And sick and tired of hearing about.

LOL...you too huh  :H
I've been a tennis bum for half my life.
I'll just be a bum for the other half.

Offline thejackal

• Tennis God
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2005, 07:34:22 PM »
Quote from: "BitterBlueBong"
LOL. It wasn't like Sharapova praised Serena for a match well played. But maybe I'm the only one here who couldn't give a damn what the players say in post-match press conferences (unless they say something entirely newsworthy).

I wished Goran was still around to give us THAT kind of entertainment.
official blogger

tennisconnected.com

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2005, 10:37:11 AM »
Of course I was cheering for Maria, but I wanted either a very close match that was well played by both, or one if it was lopsided one to have a devastating performance like Maria had at Wimbledon and Serena is quite capable of.   I thought it was a very sloppy match overall, Maria lost her game standard when she stopped grunting it seemed, as wierd as that sounds.   Serena gradually got better as it went, but wasnt serving or hitting her forehand her best for any extended period of time.   It came through when it counted most for her though(the forehand)while for Maria it did not.   That was probably the difference in the end.   Hopefully the final is of better quality from atleast 1, if not both women.

Serena making disrespectful, rude, shameful post match comments people?   I agree, it is typical of her.   I dont think she knows how to do anything else even if she tried.

Offline tightboy2010

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2005, 07:25:49 PM »
://

Offline shtexas

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2005, 08:43:06 PM »
"Maria lost her game standard when she stopped grunting it seemed, as wierd as that sounds"

It is not strange at all. I remember in '92 when Monica Seles tried to stop grunting. Her game was not the same. The first match she didn't grunt in was the '92 Wimbledon final and she won a total of three games. She then lost in a few finals in the summer. Then, she got a cold, stopped worrying about it, and grunted to the US Open title.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2005, 09:24:24 PM »
I wondered if Maria did it when she got nervous in the match.  It was strangely weird.  I would rather hear her just grunt away as she hits the ball rather than try to keep quiet during the big points.

Very interesting that she did not win a close set at the AO.  Either dominated the set or lost it.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2005, 10:36:36 AM »
Personally I think Graf would have won the 92 Wimbledon final even if Seles grunted but it would have been a much more competitive match.
Maria Sharapova's game declined when she didnt grunt, I almost laughed thinking back to Seles as this was occuring.   It probably was a function of nerves but her intensity and power dropped off at the same time it happened.

I agree it is funny she didnt win a close set.   However in the semis she atleast came out strongly, which she didnt in the previous rounds, so that is something to build on for her hopefully.   I think this tournament will be a good eye-opener for Maria.   She is great but she still has a ways to go in a lot of ways.   She not only couldnt win a match she served for twice in the semis and held three matchs in, she lost alot of sets at this tournament, and some of her mystique has worn of.