Author Topic: Mary Joe Fernandez the excessive Serena Williams pro-fanatic  (Read 4730 times)

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
Mary Joe Fernandez the excessive Serena Williams pro-fanatic
« on: January 27, 2005, 08:44:18 AM »
Is it just me or is Mary Joe's excessive Williams pro-bias obsession annoying.    I dont know how many times I have heard her point out how horrably Serena is playing, never pointing out her opponent struggling, sounding like she is a practical cheerleader for Serena during a match, emoting how much it means to her how Serena is doing in a match.   If I didnt know better I would think she was Serena's secret relative, a close cousin or something that I didnt know about.    Pam Shriver and Mary Carrilo very much like Serena but they are far more objective, even, and fair-minded in their remarks.   Mary Joe's only role seem to be to kiss up to Serena Williams, and to a lesser extent Venus Williams as much as possable.    She doesnt even have the credentials to be hired, and she is no broadcasting genius like Carillo.  They should fire her and hire the much more objective and accomplished Martina Navratilova or somebody else.   She sucks!

Offline tennisgeek

• Tennis Player
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2005, 09:48:16 AM »
All three ladies are critical of Serena. But I think they are fair and balanced also, the Williams sisters do not help their cause when they make idiotic statements like " I cannot lose to some one , I can only beat myself". But I was wondering is Mary Joe pregnant again? or is she still carrying a little weight from the previous pregnancy?.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005, 10:02:22 AM »
I do not mind the commentators for the most part.  I think I tune them out because I really do not remember a thing they say, but I am remember so many points shot by shot.  lol, oh well.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2005, 10:17:55 AM »
I sometimes mute it when Mary Joe is in booth for the match.   I can think my own thoughts, I dont want to be corrupted by her biased consumed thoughts.   Fortunately the far superior Mary Carillo was in the booth last night.   I found it intersting when Mary said Maria was struggling with her serve.   Was she really or was Serena putting pressure on with the returns causing the trouble?

bitterbluebongguest

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2005, 11:57:07 AM »
LMAO! I feel the exact opposite. Mary Joe is so pro-Davenport that it's sickening. Despite Lindsay's horrible play, Mary Joe barely said anything. I remember her mentioning, "I talked to her this morning..." Yeah, I bet she did. I bet they had breakfast and had a grand old time. Mary Joe and Mary Carillo have absolutely no problem criticizing Serena though.

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2005, 10:22:25 AM »
Mary Joe criticizes Serena excessively, in a sense I agree, but it in an attempt to bolster her perceived abilities even more, while diminish anything her opponent is doing.   Why are you complaining about that if you are a Serena fan, Serena does the same thing?   She has played like c%?*p every match that goes past 6-3, 6-2 after all, and even some that are that score, according to herself.  

It is funny how Mary Joe kept gushing over Serena how she wasnt playing her best tennis and was still in the match, what a great fighter she is.   Hello Mary Joe, Maria Sharapova was atleast as far from her best in fact probably more so, and almost won the match as well.    What does that say about her as well, oh I forgot Serenas opponents always play their best.    :;:-|

Offline Hoytie

• Tennis God
  • My British Blue Shorthair, Joshua, a Tennis Fan.
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2005, 03:13:20 PM »
I basically tune the announcers out other than Mary Carillo and John McEnroe.  The others are more or less a waste.  They don't provide the average to above average tennis enthusiast and follower anything more than they already know.  Don't forget that Mary Joe is married to Tony Godsick who I believe is Lindsay Davenport's agent.  So, go figure.

Offline BitterBlueBong

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2005, 04:24:08 PM »
Quote from: "kittens25"
Why are you complaining about that if you are a Serena fan, Serena does the same thing?

It seems to me that you were the one who started a thread b**ching about the commentating. I just threw in my $.02. Carry on.

Offline rubyspirit

• Tennis Player
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2005, 09:56:55 PM »
Mary Jo is fair, with all players, unlike some of the the other commentators.

Offline Tennis Freak

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2005, 10:43:58 PM »
They always talk fairly knowledgable sometimes.  I like the stats they give out such as the last time they beat a certain player or their winning streak against someone.  I love that information.  You can definitely see their preferences in players, but we all have them.

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2005, 02:41:56 PM »
Quote from: "BitterBlueBong"
It seems to me that you were the one who started a thread b**ching about the commentating. I just threw in my $.02. Carry on.

My point is that being highly critical of their play, is actually being partial to them, from my viewpoint anyway.     They are trying to bolster them by always pointing out what they are not doing as they can, and are still able to be doing so well, while the opponent is mythically never doing anything wrong.