Author Topic: Help with footwork and drills  (Read 2242 times)

Offline Mystify

• Tennis God
Help with footwork and drills
« on: August 07, 2006, 08:43:57 PM »
I need help. I practice alot of tennis & i do all these tennis and footwork drills and i get sick of doing some over and over and over, and i dont know if they are even helping. Does anyone have any footwork and tennis drills they can share with me????

Offline NJtennis11

• Tennis God
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 08:45:50 PM »
Footwork aren't meant to be fun, I'm sure the ones you are doing ARE helping you.  Footwork is a key part of the game so you should keep doing them, they can only help they can't hurt.

Offline Mystify

• Tennis God
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 09:19:11 PM »
I dont really know wich ones to do i have like  1 or 2 drills, do you know any more??

Offline John Mcenroe

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 06:43:25 AM »
Well when you come to Japan there is this is court called omni and OH  MY GOD you need the best footwork in the world to play it.....

Well Im doing this drill that you move sideways when a partner throws to you the ball and you have to jump to get it..  

Its pretty hard....

Well try it...

Offline Mystify

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 10:09:57 AM »
Thanks !!! I will try it!

Offline SerenaSlam06

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 12:53:40 PM »
Try the one were you have like 7 or 8 balls at places on the court and you see how long it takes to collect them. You put on at the baseline were the corner of the singles court is at each side(2 balls), then one at each side were the service line hits the service line, then two right up at the net on the singles lines, then one on the T at the service line. Then you run like you were making an M, and take one ball at a time.
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

Offline Mystify

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 05:47:03 PM »
thanks

Offline John Mcenroe

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 09:34:09 PM »
Yes we all need to work on foot work becasue its very important.

Offline blisteringboom

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2006, 09:52:19 PM »
I've never really thought of foot work it just came to me im a fast guy tholl i can get to anything maybe that has something to do with it/
"So soon it parted , lifting itself into the air. It bent – the world did. High was low , low was high ,and so he soared into the ground that was the sky." Tyler Vergil

Offline John Mcenroe

• Tennis God
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 08:11:21 AM »
Quote from: "blisteringboom"
I've never really thought of foot work it just came to me im a fast guy tholl i can get to anything maybe that has something to do with it/

Are you nadal or what? ;;)

Offline Mystify

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2006, 04:20:44 PM »
Quote from: "blisteringboom"

But you should always practice footwork cause even the fastest players work on their footwork, thats why they are so fast, the more footwork the faster you get

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2006, 04:55:51 PM »
significance of footwork:

The 12 Step Program for Tennis

April 10, 2006–Whenever our strokes fail most of us assume our swing is to blame. But my observation is that the majority of errors in tennis occur when players stop moving their feet as much as they normally do, forcing them to use their hands in unpracticed ways to compensate for their poor positioning. And all too often the predictable result is a ball that goes into the net or outside the lines.

Tennis is a game of movement and good preparation. The best players know this and pay special attention to their footwork. Need evidence? Consider this. The pros average about 10-12 steps between each ball they hit in a rally (around 8-10 if they get into a crosscourt exchange where the ball is hit too deep for the opponent to change the direction without a high risk factor); strong high school players and fair college players about 8-10; 4.0-4.5 players about 6-8; 3.0-3.5 players about 4-6; and 2.5-3.0 players only take an average of 2-4 steps between shots in a point.

Want to raise your level of play? Clearly, one way to do it is to add more steps to your preparation. In fact, if you aim for an average of 12 steps between shots your level of play will sky rocket. Guaranteed. Oh, by the way, if you think this doesn't apply to you because you play doubles, think again. The Bryan brothers often take 20 steps between
shots when they play.—Ken Dehart, USPTA and PTR Master Pro
Be the change that you seek.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2006, 05:29:38 PM »
Quote from: "wilsonboy"

April 10, 2006–Whenever our strokes fail most of us assume our swing is to blame. But my observation is that the majority of errors in tennis occur when players stop moving their feet

Excellent wilson. Footwork has nothing to do with being fast.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Mystify

• Tennis God
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2006, 08:45:36 PM »
Its a very big part of the game and it does help with movement but yes it duz make u make erors on your stroke

Offline John Mcenroe

• Tennis God
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2006, 09:35:07 PM »
Quote from: "Babblelot"

April 10, 2006–Whenever our strokes fail most of us assume our swing is to blame. But my observation is that the majority of errors in tennis occur when players stop moving their feet

Excellent wilson. Footwork has nothing to do with being fast.

Actually it does soething good to be fast...  Even though your footworks great if your not fast they'll run you side to side..... :(

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2006, 06:02:24 AM »
I don't think he's saying that there's no advantage to being fast, just that you don't always have to be fast in most cases.
Be the change that you seek.

Offline John Mcenroe

• Tennis God
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2006, 07:54:58 AM »
I don't think he's saying that there's no advantage to being fast, just that you don't always have to be fast in most cases.

Oh if he means that hes absoultly right!! :))