Author Topic: OSU Buckeye - Journal  (Read 240839 times)

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
OSU Buckeye - Journal
« Reply #420 on: April 12, 2007, 09:06:43 AM »
Played last night with VIC against DW & MC.   We lost the 1st & 3rd sets but won the 2cnd set.  It was just aight for me.  I don't even remember the set scores so maybe I was not focused enough!   My knees were really sore in the 3rd set which sucked as well.  

I was very let down with myself on a handful or 2 of points where I am going for a lob or something and clearly not keeping my head down and eyes on the ball well enough.........the result is a lob or another shot that is not hit well enough for my standards and to keep my partner and I in the point.   Ughhhhh!    Store it in the memory bank and get better next time!   :)

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
OSU Buckeye - Journal
« Reply #421 on: April 12, 2007, 04:05:15 PM »
I had been meaning to post this before:   The past 2 Wednesday nights while warming up, I have been working on getting my body turned sideways as the ball is approaching me.  This really makes it so you can get maximum power out of your groundstrokes.....plus, it is easier on the body.   I need to keep doing this and get to where I do this all the time without thinking about it!   :))

Offline Bundey

• Tennis God
  • Formerly known as "#1federerfan"
OSU Buckeye - Journal
« Reply #422 on: April 12, 2007, 04:07:27 PM »
I really hate bad knees.  I have to wear a brace to practice, and went to physical therapy for about 5 months because my right knee, and I'm only 15!  My left one also has some problems.  It really hurts my serving because I can't bend so well.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
OSU Buckeye - Journal
« Reply #423 on: April 12, 2007, 04:11:46 PM »
Quote from: "#1federerfan"
I really hate bad knees.  I have to wear a brace to practice, and went to physical therapy for about 5 months because my right knee, and I'm only 15!  My left one also has some problems.  It really hurts my serving because I can't bend so well.

You're 5'3" and have bad knees??   That sucks!    So, what are the knee ailments?    I had some tendonitis flare up in high school when I tried out for the bball team.    I also had mysterious knee problems when I had a growth spurt in like 9th to 10th grade.  Now, they are just sore alot but nothing major!

Offline Bundey

• Tennis God
OSU Buckeye - Journal
« Reply #424 on: April 12, 2007, 04:21:50 PM »
Well they said that a lot of males my age have this sort of problem.  On my right knee (the one I went to physical therapy about and the one I wear a brace for) there is some sort of roughness under my knee cap, so grinds inside my knee and causes pain.  I wasn't even able to try out for basketball this year because of that knee.  My left knee isn't as bad, but some times it well cause terrible pain.  I have something called Osgood Schlatter.  Explained Here

My left knee looks like this guys right knee. Knee

So all in all my knees suck  ;>)

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
OSU Buckeye - Journal
« Reply #425 on: April 12, 2007, 04:29:00 PM »
Well they said that a lot of males my age have this sort of problem.  On my right knee (the one I went to physical therapy about and the one I wear a brace for) there is some sort of roughness under my knee cap, so grinds inside my knee and causes pain.  I wasn't even able to try out for basketball this year because of that knee.  My left knee isn't as bad, but some times it well cause terrible pain.  I have something called Osgood Schlatter.  Explained Here

This is what my left knee looks like Knee

So all in all my knees suck  ;>)

Yeah, I have heard of the Osgood Schlater stuff.  I thought maybe it is what I had, but in the end, I think my bones just grew too fast and my muscles and ligaments were trying to keep up so it caused a lot of pain around my knees.  

Your knee picture didn't work.

Offline Bundey

• Tennis God
OSU Buckeye - Journal
« Reply #426 on: April 12, 2007, 04:32:04 PM »
Oh, it works for me, try these.  If you can't see these, just imagine a weird bump under my knee, and there you go.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
OSU Buckeye - Journal
« Reply #427 on: April 12, 2007, 04:35:46 PM »
Yeah, I see!  It didn't work at first for some reason.   Anyway, yeah my knees definitely have the knot below the knee-cap which is why I thought I had it back in the day.     Either way, this thing (the condition) goes away right?   So, that should be good news for you?

Offline Bundey

• Tennis God
OSU Buckeye - Journal
« Reply #428 on: April 12, 2007, 04:43:01 PM »
Yes, the pain will go away.  The knot is still there, but it doesn't really hurt right now.  Although it could start to hurt again on any play.  That is how it works, it is fine for a few months, then boom, you land funny and your out for 1 week.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
OSU Buckeye - Journal
« Reply #429 on: April 12, 2007, 04:47:43 PM »
Yes, the pain will go away.  The knot is still there, but it doesn't really hurt right now.  Although it could start to hurt again on any play.  That is how it works, it is fine for a few months, then boom, you land funny and your out for 1 week.

That is crazy that you are so young and short with these problems.....of course, come to think of it, Scott has had knee problems as long as I have known him and he is just a short bugger like you!

Offline Bundey

• Tennis God
OSU Buckeye - Journal
« Reply #430 on: April 12, 2007, 04:49:59 PM »
Quote from: "OSU Buckeye"

That is crazy that you are so young and short with these problems.....of course, come to think of it, Scott has had knee problems as long as I have known him and he is just a short bugger like you!

So normally it is taller people who have the knee problems?  I didn't know that.  My dad is 6'4 and is having knee problems for the first time at 48.  Although his have gotten a little better recently...

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
OSU Buckeye - Journal
« Reply #431 on: April 12, 2007, 05:00:53 PM »

So normally it is taller people who have the knee problems?  I didn't know that.  My dad is 6'4 and is having knee problems for the first time at 48.  Although his have gotten a little better recently...

I just figured tall people are carrying more around and their weight is spread out more vertically.  I would think these 2 things make it worse for us.     Both my parents are dealing with some pretty serious knee pains these days, so, unfortunately I think I am screwed in the future!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
OSU Buckeye - Journal
« Reply #432 on: April 12, 2007, 05:02:34 PM »

I just figured tall people are carrying more around and their weight is spread out more vertically.  I would think these 2 things make it worse for us.     Both my parents are dealing with some pretty serious knee pains these days, so, unfortunately I think I am screwed in the future!

I am 5'-4" tall and have had a knee brace since age 18.  Being shorter helps me to stop faster since my center of gravity is lower, that has to be very hard on the knees.  I think it just differs for everyone.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Bundey

• Tennis God
OSU Buckeye - Journal
« Reply #433 on: April 12, 2007, 05:05:36 PM »
Yeah you are probably right, I just never thought about it.  It is interesting how sports can help you get in shape, but they can also seem to be bad for you.  It seems like sports hurt older people more that they help them.  With back pain, knee pain, ankle pain, snapped achilles tendon, ruptured back disc thing, you name it, my dad has had it.  It seems like my dad is really injury prone.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
OSU Buckeye - Journal
« Reply #434 on: April 12, 2007, 05:09:16 PM »
Yeah you are probably right, I just never thought about it.  It is interesting how sports can help you get in shape, but they can also seem to be bad for you.  It seems like sports hurt older people more that they help them.  With back pain, knee pain, ankle pain, snapped achilles tendon, ruptured back disc thing, you name it, my dad has had it.  It seems like my dad is really injury prone.

My big thing is to try to keep it consistent.....not overdo it....and not underdo it!     Like play tennis 2-3 times a week.....not less....not more.    If you take a long time away from playing and then come back, that is a dangerous time for a more serious injury!   Likewise if you play like almost every day, at least for me, then chronic injuries start popping up!

Offline Bundey

• Tennis God
OSU Buckeye - Journal
« Reply #435 on: April 12, 2007, 05:11:52 PM »
Streching out helps a lot too.  If I don't strech my hamstrings and quads out before I play my knee will hurt.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
OSU Buckeye - Journal
« Reply #436 on: April 12, 2007, 05:13:51 PM »
Streching out helps a lot too.  If I don't strech my hamstrings and quads out before I play my knee will hurt.

Yeah, I would definitely push stretching, even at a younger age, to try to keep things better later.  I stretch some every time I play, but not enough, I am sure.....and I don't stretch afterwards.   :(

Offline Bundey

• Tennis God
OSU Buckeye - Journal
« Reply #437 on: April 12, 2007, 05:15:46 PM »
I NEVER stretch after playing, even though I read somewhere it is more important to stretch after than before.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
OSU Buckeye - Journal
« Reply #438 on: April 12, 2007, 05:19:17 PM »
I NEVER stretch after playing, even though I read somewhere it is more important to stretch after than before.

Yeah, that totally sucks!     We usually drink beer after playing......I wonder if that helps the body?   ..-)

Offline Bundey

• Tennis God
OSU Buckeye - Journal
« Reply #439 on: April 12, 2007, 05:21:43 PM »
I'm sure that is a better choice to gatorade.