Author Topic: I can't keep the ball in the court anymore.  (Read 1374 times)

Offline cje202

• New Poster
I can't keep the ball in the court anymore.
« on: October 09, 2006, 08:17:40 PM »
I played a lot the first half of this year, then starting early august, stopped playing.  Now I started playing about a 2 weeks ago and I can no longer serve or return the ball into the court.

My slice serve used to actually be more reliable than my top spin, and now I for some reason cannot put it into the service square with any consistency.  It either goes way wide or I compensate to the right and then it decides not to slice.  The top spin serve is even worse, I really don't miss that badly, I consistently hit the top of the net, miss wide left by about 1 foot, or miss long by about a yard.  So i'm not missing one way consistently, but it still wont go in.  Then I try the easy just tap it over the net serve, and that obviously goes in, but when I try to gradually bring up velocity after a few serves, I get to the point where I'm missing again.  

Now the return is equally bad, for a while I was used to putting some kind of spin on almost every touch.  Again, if i just tap it over, it gets over, but any time i put anything on it I generally either don't get remotely close to the court(it goes about 5 feet long, or I bury it into the net.  I can probably drop it better than I could at any other point in my life right now, but it doesn't help when people know that is the only shot i can keep in.  Any time I get the ball at my waist and go for a big forehand, it goes long.  Well I get it about 1/10 times, but thats really unacceptable.  My backhand, which used to be the strongest part of my game, is non-existent now for some reason.

This isn't just one of those slumps that you go through for a day or two, ive been like this for at least 7 games over the past 2 weeks.  I don't know if i'm asking for tips or just complainging, but I am rather upset.

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 10:08:13 PM »
Bend the knees, turn the hips... works like a charm.

just look at my sig.
Be the change that you seek.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 05:27:55 AM »
2 weeks back is not that much time.  I guess what you failed to mention was how long you have been playing over all.  By your comment about the 2 different types of serves I am guessing you have been playing longer than just this year.  You also have not mentioend how much you have been playing in the last 2 weeks out.  once, twice, 10 times?

Getting back into the game after a period off is never fun at first.  Timing is way off and that seems to be the killer, for me at least.  When my game is rusty the best thing I can do is to not go for any fancy shots.  Keep it all simple.  Aim down the middle more, do not try to paint the lines.  Take some pace off of the ball, etc, etc...

Give yourself some time, I know it is frustrating.

Welcome to the forums!
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com