Author Topic: Agassi to retire at 35, Roddick at 25  (Read 1669 times)

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
Agassi to retire at 35, Roddick at 25
« on: January 30, 2005, 02:45:41 PM »
Agassi will win that last slam at age 35, either this year or early next, and retire in glory like Sampras, happy to have gotten his 9th slam and broken out of the logjam of men with 8.    Roddick will go the next 11 slams without winning one, and after 2 more coaching changes during that span, will take his year-end #1, U.S open title, Wimbledon runner up, one other slam runner up since then, 20+ tour titles, multiple slam semis, quarters; accept it is a fullfillment and beyond of his abilities, and join MTV music station as a DJ.   Agassi to retire t 35, Roddick at 25.

Offline gm3106

• Tennis God
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2005, 02:49:04 PM »
True, there are a lot of players who finished their career stuck on 8 grand slam titles. For Agassi to reach 9 would allow him to leave a bigger impact on the tennis records.

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2005, 02:55:23 PM »
I know he says he will play many more years, but I could not see him continuing if he won his 9th.   I am sure deep down he knows, there are very few slams left in him, he just wants that one to take his career to another level, and to end on a glorired memory.   Plus he is probably itching to spend more time with his wife and kids, rather than training everyday while being a huge underdog to 4 or 5 younger, more powerful hitting players.

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
Re: Agassi to retire at 35, Roddick at 25
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005, 07:26:48 AM »
Quote from: "kittens25"
  Roddick will go the next 11 slams without winning one, and after 2 more coaching changes during that span, will take his year-end #1, U.S open title, Wimbledon runner up, one other slam runner up since then, 20+ tour titles, multiple slam semis, quarters; accept it is a fullfillment and beyond of his abilities, and join MTV music station as a DJ.   Agassi to retire t 35, Roddick at 25.

I thought this a pretty astute prediction. Roddick no longer seems to have his heart in the game and enjoys much more the attention of the entertainment industry.

Offline Tennis Freak

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2005, 09:20:59 AM »
If Andy's energy drops on the court his ranking will drop with it fast.

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005, 10:34:27 AM »
I personally think he hired a new coach, not because it was the best for his career, but because he wanted somebody who he could relax with and not feel the pressure, "have fun again".   Gilbert was so hyped up on winning and he saw it was very challenging to win everything with Federer so amazing, and Safin, Hewitt, and others so strong.   So he now just wants a coach who he can have fun playing with, who isnt doesnt demand so much from him as far as winning.   That way he can enjoy the last three years of his career, trying his best, hoping to win or get as far as possable, but not feeling pressure or expectations from his coach as much.

Offline timd818

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2005, 11:17:30 AM »
I don't  know...but it doesn't look like he enjoyed his semi at all against Hewitt, but then again, who would enjoy playing against Hewitt.
I've been a tennis bum for half my life.
I'll just be a bum for the other half.

Anonymous

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2005, 02:03:07 PM »
Quote from: "timd818"
I don't  know...but it doesn't look like he enjoyed his semi at all against Hewitt, but then again, who would enjoy playing against Hewitt.

Federer, clearly!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2005, 02:04:06 PM »
lol, amen to that!  Federer seems to easily handle Hewitt.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline timd818

• Tennis God
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2005, 03:07:48 PM »
Ops...forgot about him  :))
I've been a tennis bum for half my life.
I'll just be a bum for the other half.

Offline tightboy2010

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2005, 04:22:55 PM »
you forgot about who?

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2005, 06:08:29 PM »
He was saying that no one likes playing Hewitt, and we mentioned that Federer always spanks him, so we figured Federer likes playing him.  :)
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com