Author Topic: Marat on Grass  (Read 1993 times)

Offline Tennis Freak

• Tennis Enthusiast
Marat on Grass
« on: February 01, 2005, 09:31:34 PM »
Is it me, or does ne1 else think that Marat should do well on grass?  He has already made comments after this years Australian Open that he doesn't like the grass and has no expectations.  I for one think he could do well at Wimbledon.  I do not think he will ever win the French Open, so to work on the 3rd slam would make more sense to me.  I bet he feels he has a better chance at the French Open than he does at Wimbledon.

Offline shtexas

• Tennis Enthusiast
Marat on Grass
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 09:47:36 PM »
Yes. It is in his head to a certain extent. He did make the qf one year, didn't he?

I guess since he spent his teenage years in Spain on clay, he feels more comfortable on it.

One thing about grass - his high kicking serve doesn't kick too high.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Marat on Grass
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 09:49:51 PM »
Rafter would of had the same problem on grass but he still did very well there.  But of coarse he serve and volleyed as well.

But I agree, certainly in his head.  I think he might suprise himself this year if he is playing well going into it.  He definitely needs to play a tune-up match on it, maybe Queens.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline shtexas

• Tennis Enthusiast
Marat on Grass
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 09:51:40 PM »
If he can get a few rounds into the event, I think his attitude will improve with every match.

Offline kungpaobenji27

• Tennis Addict
Marat on Grass
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005, 10:07:13 PM »
Yep, he just needs to find a groove on the surface.  He got to the quarterfinals in 2001 before losing to the eventual winner, Goran Ivanisevic.

Offline DirtyKash

• Tennis God
  • Child labor laws are ruining this country.
Re: Marat on Grass
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005, 07:40:44 AM »
Quote from: "Tennis Freak"
He has already made comments after this years Australian Open that he doesn't like the grass and has no expectations.

His first comments about grass was after last year's Wimbledon when he lost in the first round.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Marat on Grass
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2005, 07:56:55 AM »
True, but I am suprised that after his AO win he made similar comments.  I really think he has the game to do so well on grass.  I bet if he practices some on it he can get used to it.  As hard as he hits, it blows my mind he doesn't like it.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Tennis Freak

• Tennis Enthusiast
Marat on Grass
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2005, 09:20:15 AM »
His attitude is changing all around.  With this win over Roger and then Lleyton he should be on cloud 9 rolling along with some confidence.  I bet he is looking forward to Wimbledon more than he is letting on.  If I wasn't rooting for Roger for the Wilmbledon title I would want Marat to win it.   ;-()

Offline gm3106

• Tennis God
Marat on Grass
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2005, 12:18:06 PM »
Safin could do well at both the FO and Wimbledon through one thing: Mental application. He has the grounstrokes to win the FO (he's already reached a couple of semis there) but just lacks the patience in the extended rallies which are characeristic of clay. He also has the serve to do some damage at Wimbldeon, but just needs to get accoustomed to the low bounce.

Offline MC ill Logic

• Tennis God
Marat on Grass
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2005, 01:36:34 PM »
There's no reason why Marat couldn't win Wimbledon.  Maybe the only reason is Federer, but there's nobody else out there that you can point at and say "he's clearly more dangerous on grass than Safin."  Like people have already said, it's mental.  Lendl hated grass, too, but when he decided to really apply himself he became a great grass court player and he doesn't have half the talent Marat does.

BTW, I was watching the Aussie semi's again and Federer was really having an off day.  Sure, Marat was playing good, but really it was all about Roger playing very poorly (at least what I saw, up to third set).  It's scary to think that he still took Safin to a close fifth set.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
Marat on Grass
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2005, 03:11:58 PM »
i think if safin put his mind to it and applied himself the right way he could have a great run at wimbledon. safin is also gaining much more ability to move forward and put the volley away which would be extremely beneficial at wimbledon as this is now a rare art of the modern players.
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline Hoytie

• Tennis God
  • My British Blue Shorthair, Joshua, a Tennis Fan.
Marat on Grass
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2005, 10:59:15 AM »
I am looking through my crystal ball and I see . . . Wimbledon 2005!Screaming fans on Henman Hill.  Prince Charles and Camilla Parker-Bowles in the Royal Box.  Fergie and her old flame, Thomas Muster, directly behind them.  It's the semi-finals.  Henman vs. Safin.  Fifth set.  Tied 8-8.  The crystal ball will not allow me to see any further.

Offline Tennis Freak

• Tennis Enthusiast
Marat on Grass
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2005, 11:08:21 AM »
HA!  Classic.  Let us know when the smoke clears and you can see the rest.  :)

Offline timd818

• Tennis God
Marat on Grass
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2005, 11:46:08 AM »
Quote from: "MC ill Logic"

BTW, I was watching the Aussie semi's again and Federer was really having an off day.  Sure, Marat was playing good, but really it was all about Roger playing very poorly (at least what I saw, up to third set).  It's scary to think that he still took Safin to a close fifth set.

I agree. Give all the credits to Safin for hanging tough. Ferderer usually beat people even when he's not playing his best or close to his best. Safin was playing out of his mind. I've never seen Federer blew so many forehands that  he usually makes. Let this be a wakeup call for him to bring out his best and not rellying too much on freebies from his opponents. Also if you notice, Safin really exposed Federer's weaker side, his backhand. Now his new coach got something to work on  :))
I've been a tennis bum for half my life.
I'll just be a bum for the other half.

Offline kungpaobenji27

• Tennis Addict
Marat on Grass
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2005, 12:01:30 PM »
Roger's backhand ain't a weakness.  On some days, you can't that one certain shot to work and that was the case in this semifinal.

Offline timd818

• Tennis God
Marat on Grass
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2005, 12:09:29 PM »
I didn't said it's a weakness, it's a "weaker" side...and Safin exploit that.
I've been a tennis bum for half my life.
I'll just be a bum for the other half.