Author Topic: Gambill using one handed forehand now!  (Read 771 times)

Offline Tennis Freak

• Tennis Enthusiast
Gambill using one handed forehand now!
« on: February 02, 2005, 09:18:29 AM »
About time he caught on!

Gambill rides new stroke to familiar result at ITC

February 2, 2005

DELRAY BEACH, Fla. (AP) -- Jan-Michael Gambill used a one-handed forehand for the first time on the ATP Tour, and defeated fourth-seeded Cyril Saulnier 7-5, 3-6, 6-4 to advance to the second round of the Millennium International Tennis Championships on Tuesday.

Gambill served 21 of the match's 31 aces and eliminated Saulnier in two hours.

``I'm starting to play better again,'' said Gambill, who won his ITC-record 14th match at the Delray Beach Tennis Center. ``Sometimes you go through a time where you lose a little confidence, and I had injuries that lasted for a long, long time. When I came back and felt like I was 100 percent, I had lost a lot of confidence.''

Two of Gambill's three career titles have come at the ITC, including a win in 2003. Last year, the 27-year-old Gambill lost to big-serving Mario Ancic in the first round.

Gambill, ranked 103rd, entered the ITC winless in two matches this year. But he played strong from the outset against Saulnier.

``There's a lot of magic here for me,'' said Gambill. ``I've won more matches here than anybody has, and I've played great tennis here.

``I'm trying to change a few things in my game. Using the one-handed forehand is a large step for me. A step that really could bring my game to a new height. I fought very well tonight, made very few errors with it.''

Fellow American James Blake didn't fare as well as Gambill, continuing to struggle in his comeback bid with a 6-4, 2-6, 2-6 to 19-year-old Russian qualifier Teimuraz Gabashvili.

Blake, who entered the ITC ranked 135th, rose to No. 22 in 2003 before fracturing his neck during a training session at the Italian Open last May. He is 3-6 since his return.

The 25-year-old won the first set against Gabashvili, but lost nine of the next 11 games. Gabashvili broke Blake's serve five straight times in the run.

``In that second set, when he started playing a lot better than he did in the first, it kind of surprised me,'' Blake said. ``He kept up the level, and I never really raised my level to where it needed to be.

``I kind of knew there were going to be bumps like this. Hopefully, I'm mature enough to get by it.''

It was the first ATP tour win for Gabashvili, who entered the ITC ranked 262nd with a 0-2 career match record.

``It feels great,'' Gabashvili said. ``First, because I won my first tour match. Secondly, that I beat a famous guy like James Blake. I was just trying to keep my game quiet, don't go fast.''

Second-seeded Jiri Novak, a seven-time ATP winner playing his first match of the season, beat Amer Delic 6-4, 6-3.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Gambill using one handed forehand now!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 10:04:19 AM »
Weird!  I can't wait to see how it looks when he swings the racquet.  I wonder who talked him into that!
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com