Author Topic: Next Step  (Read 1471 times)

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
Next Step
« on: December 03, 2006, 06:26:52 PM »
Ok. So I dont think I have ever started a new topic anywhere, thats so not me. I dont like starting new topics and such but I decided I would give it a shot.

This topic though is more of a personal level (if you want I could add some non-personal tennis stuff too at the end).

Ok so as some of you might know, I am 17, college freshman (Rutgers nj) and have been playing tennis for the past four years. I think I have come quite far from my freshman year at high school where I first picked up a racquet, thanks in large to my highschool team coach and my playing 4hours or so a day everyday over the three months of summer vacation every year in addition to whatever little I played for the team. (This sounds like stuff I should have posted in the "hi i am pawan" section) Allright so.. to continue on my life story: I tried to play in college but it was way too difficult to actually incorporate tennis into my studies - I commute 45mins each way and still intend to complete 3 majors and a minor in under four years - so its a slight toll on my body and eyes (I have really really weak eyes and tahts a totally another story .. but this part i am getting to the point almost). Also college team meets like at sunday nights from 8-9, so its not even worth driving nearly two hours for a one hour hit - I hit for like 4-6 hours on the weekends with my freind anyway.

ok so thats the deal. I still play (even when it gets freezing) on weekends. Theres only one indoor court place nearby but they are 1) way too expensive and its not even like you can go there and hit whenever you want... you have to reserve like once a week times ( I guess that works fine but..) and its all taken up by other professional sorta reservations so basically you dont get to pick what time even.

So (i am finally to the point here..) whats the next step for me to do? I want to play at some higher level to get better and to keep it interesting and want it somewhat convenient because afterall studies are still my priority, so I actually do have to spend some time focusing on classes too. Do you have any suggestions, advice anything at all? I want to play more and its also kinda hard to find people to hit with in winter.

ok so that was it. my whle post.

if you want to hear something interesting i thought of - in fact it has to do with one of the previous threads but thats pretty old i think.
actually i wont. actually i will. its about hewitt. why exactly is hewitt a "fast court player" ? I mean if you think about it he has the game similar to Agassi and Nadal and such (right)? and they are clearly "slow court" players.. kinda. even though agassi won AO when it was faster and is known for hardcourts.
how is it that hewitt plays better on grass and the USO hardcourts?

thank you. long post wasnt it? i bet you are tired of reading it.

Offline thejackal

• Tennis God
Next Step
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 06:37:49 PM »
Agassi is not a slow court player either.  He's a baseliner who prefers semi-fast conditions (like AO and USO).  On grass later in his career he got served off the court a few times (against Poo at Wimby in 03) and he doesn't move well enough for clay as he's gotten older.  Hewitt probably isnt used to the footing on clay, having not been raised on it.  It could be mental too.
official blogger

tennisconnected.com

Offline Darcy

• Tennis Addict
Next Step
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 06:43:41 PM »
I think I would add that because Hewitt relies on the power from his opponent, and doesn't have much power himself, the slower courts would blunt his advantage (if any), and clay would be near impossible for him to have great success on.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
Next Step
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 07:04:48 PM »
Both Agassi & Hewitt were/are better on hard courts for different reasons. Agassi was better on clay later in his career because he became more patient in the second half of his career. He hit harder and through the ball more and benefitted from the faster surfaces because of that. Clay courters are more into spin and movement and working a point, court positioning and such.  Agassi got better as he matured but, since he was a lifelong hard court player, he never mastered it like players who grew up on the slow stuff.
Hewitt would be more suited to play clay court tennis, but, like Agassi, it's not the surface he grew up on, and he doesn't hit with enough spin to be effective on it. Hitting flat shots is very ineffective on clay. The ball sits up perfectly for your opponents. Hitting with heavier topspin makes the ball jump more on clay than on hard courts.
Finally, as to your saying you should have posted this in the introduction section, actually you might think about starting a journal post in the journal section. That may be where this is better suited.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizeing your putting it here, just responding to that comment.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Re: Next Step
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 08:48:45 PM »
Quote from: "pawan89"
Ok. So I dont think I have ever started a new topic anywhere, thats so not me. I dont like starting new topics and such but I decided I would give it a shot.

This topic though is more of a personal level (if you want I could add some non-personal tennis stuff too at the end).

Ok so as some of you might know, I am 17, college freshman (Rutgers nj) and have been playing tennis for the past four years. I think I have come quite far from my freshman year at high school where I first picked up a racquet, thanks in large to my highschool team coach and my playing 4hours or so a day everyday over the three months of summer vacation every year in addition to whatever little I played for the team. (This sounds like stuff I should have posted in the "hi i am pawan" section) Allright so.. to continue on my life story: I tried to play in college but it was way too difficult to actually incorporate tennis into my studies - I commute 45mins each way and still intend to complete 3 majors and a minor in under four years - so its a slight toll on my body and eyes (I have really really weak eyes and tahts a totally another story .. but this part i am getting to the point almost). Also college team meets like at sunday nights from 8-9, so its not even worth driving nearly two hours for a one hour hit - I hit for like 4-6 hours on the weekends with my freind anyway.

ok so thats the deal. I still play (even when it gets freezing) on weekends. Theres only one indoor court place nearby but they are 1) way too expensive and its not even like you can go there and hit whenever you want... you have to reserve like once a week times ( I guess that works fine but..) and its all taken up by other professional sorta reservations so basically you dont get to pick what time even.

So (i am finally to the point here..) whats the next step for me to do? I want to play at some higher level to get better and to keep it interesting and want it somewhat convenient because afterall studies are still my priority, so I actually do have to spend some time focusing on classes too. Do you have any suggestions, advice anything at all? I want to play more and its also kinda hard to find people to hit with in winter.

ok so that was it. my whle post.

if you want to hear something interesting i thought of - in fact it has to do with one of the previous threads but thats pretty old i think.
actually i wont. actually i will. its about hewitt. why exactly is hewitt a "fast court player" ? I mean if you think about it he has the game similar to Agassi and Nadal and such (right)? and they are clearly "slow court" players.. kinda. even though agassi won AO when it was faster and is known for hardcourts.
how is it that hewitt plays better on grass and the USO hardcourts?

thank you. long post wasnt it? i bet you are tired of reading it.

I battled the same problems as you more or less in college.  I went to a college with no tennis team and the closest indoor courts were 30 minutes away.  I had no one to really hit with.  I could join the club but I was in what is deemed one of the busiest majors and I was in studio from 7:00 a.m. until 1-2:00 a.m. every day.  I wanted to get better but it was tough to put forth the time needed due to school.

But rest assured, there is tennis life out there for you now and beyond college.  USTA leagues are a great way to get some tennis in.  You play a match once a week and you get to play people your level.  Get to know the guys you play in the leagues with and you will find yourself some great hitting partners.  This works well in college because it is not much of a time restraint...

I play USTA now, I did 1 year out of college.  I joined up with a team of guys about 6 years ago.  We are all super close, I consider some of them some of my best friends.  Any of us would bend over backwards for each other...  The USTA leagues are very competitive and there are several levels to choose from.  The leagues are always looking to add new people, especially if it strengthens their team.  I started at 4.0 and in 2003 we went to Nationals in Arizona.  We had to beat a crap load of teams to do it but it was a blast the whole way.  Now we play 4.5, most of the 4.0 team intact.  Great experience, great friends, super good competition.  I highly recommend looking into it!
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
Next Step
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 10:22:45 PM »
thank you. I will look into USTA... sounds like an ideal thing.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
Next Step
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006, 11:39:38 PM »
I'm not going to say that's a bad idea. It's probably a good one. But don't expect to get the level of satisfaction that Scott is talking about. I play for a couple USTA teams in So Cal and it wasn't quite as enjoyable.
You will get plenty of match play though, that's not anything to sneeze at.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Next Step
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 06:10:38 AM »
Quote from: "pawan89"
thank you. I will look into USTA... sounds like an ideal thing.

It sounds like it could fulfill your tennis needs for now.  Not too time consuming, good competition and it keeps you in the game.  Plus you get to meet new people and play against new people which is always great.  Good luck with your next step.  :)
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
Next Step
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 02:14:34 PM »
Curious??????????  Why 3 majors and a minor and why the 45 minute commute?