Author Topic: The Volley Lob  (Read 5001 times)

Offline timd818

• Tennis God
The Volley Lob
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2005, 10:03:41 AM »
I'm still here. I don't use Dunlop rackets, currently I use the Wilson Rok. I haven't been to UCLA for sometime now. In May, it will be 2 yrs since my last tournament, my elbow is giving out on me. Those that are in SoCal, I take it you all know of Bobby Rodriquez? Anyway, I played against a few of his students and beat them senseless...then come the tennis elbow...now they're beating me senseless  ;>) I'm working my way back slowly.  Mc Ill Logic and BBB...maybe I can hit with you two sometime this summer? I just got myself a new used car too...a red hot convertible 300ZX  :whistle:
As for the VL, I used it all the times...and the head coach at Pierce(Sam Pitts) hates it when I used it against his players. He said I'm a bad influence on them. It's a very good shot to use in doubles when everyone is at the net.
BTW, I'm a lefty and it seems everyone hates playing me...I don't get it!
I've been a tennis bum for half my life.
I'll just be a bum for the other half.

Online Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
The Volley Lob
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2005, 10:11:37 AM »
lol, the really aggressive players who are closing the net really fast can really be foolded by the VL.  Of coarse it you hit it too high they will run it down, hit it to low you become a target.  Hit it just right and it feels so good.  :)
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline MC ill Logic

• Tennis God
The Volley Lob
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2005, 07:38:26 PM »
Quote from: "timd818"
Mc Ill Logic and BBB...maybe I can hit with you two sometime this summer? I just got myself a new used car too...a red hot convertible 300ZX  :whistle:  
BTW, I'm a lefty and it seems everyone hates playing me...I don't get it!
Why wait until summer?  It's been 73 degrees the past few weeks.  We can play whenever.  

I thought you were this guy Timothy D.

Online Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
The Volley Lob
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2005, 07:45:23 PM »
73, u bums!  50 degrees here today, but by the end of the week it will be ice cold again I am sure.  Plus it is raining today.
Scott Baker

Offline timd818

• Tennis God
The Volley Lob
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2005, 12:13:12 AM »
Mc Ill Logic, I'm not doing anything this weekend, maybe we can meet and hit a few? I'm only 5'5", not overly powerful a player and I don't serve people of the court. I don't think anyone is intimidated by 110 mph serves anymore. However, I am a lefty and do expect some wierd spins. I hope I don't dissappoint you when we do play.

MC ill Guest

tennis
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2005, 12:58:23 AM »
Quote from: "timd818"
Mc Ill Logic, I'm not doing anything this weekend, maybe we can meet and hit a few? I'm only 5'5", not overly powerful a player and I don't serve people of the court. I don't think anyone is intimidated by 110 mph serves anymore. However, I am a lefty and do expect some wierd spins. I hope I don't dissappoint you when we do play.
I'm just a 5.5 player like you.  I'm no superstar player.  The one thing I have going for me in matches is I know what my limitations are, and I'm willing to play ugly if it means totally picking apart my opponent's weakness.  At this point the biggest thing I can do for my game is to get in shape.  Until that happens I'll get smoked in the 2nd or 3rd round of any open tournament I play I'd imagine.  But I digress.

Saturday or Sunday is fine.  Like around 3 or 4?  I'll PM you my contact info.

Offline Tennis Freak

• Tennis Enthusiast
The Volley Lob
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2005, 07:51:04 AM »
5.5 is some seriously good tennis.  I do not know if I have even seen 5.5 tennis in a long time outside of college play.

Offline MC ill Logic

• Tennis God
The Volley Lob
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2005, 08:29:30 AM »
Quote from: "Tennis Freak"
5.5 is some seriously good tennis.  I do not know if I have even seen 5.5 tennis in a long time outside of college play.
The ratings are obviously very subjective.  I was rated a 5.0 about 8 years ago before my freshman year, and that was after not having touched a racket in 2 years.  I played D-3 tennis, and on my team there were probably only 2 5.5 players, 3 5.0 players, and the 6th guy was probably 4.5.  But Scott says he's a 4.5 player and for all I know maybe he could have beaten our 5 guy.  I don't know.  I see match results where one 5.0 guy beats another 6-0, 6-0 and you wonder what those ratings mean.  I mean they're useful but...  

Why I'm getting into this, I have no idea.  Just saying that I'm good enough to know that I'm not that great.  So many awesome tennis players in the world.  It's really sickening.  I just want to get good enough where I don't get completely embarassed by a top 50 seeding list Open player in Southern Cal.  That's my goal.

Online Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
The Volley Lob
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2005, 08:35:25 AM »
5.5 is naaaaaaaaaaasty tennis.  If only I had the mad skillz.  :)
Scott Baker

Offline timd818

• Tennis God
The Volley Lob
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2005, 09:22:32 AM »
5.5 here in SoCal is very deceptive. Most of the top 20 players ranked in 5.5 also have Open's ranking (mostly between 40-60). Even those playing in the Senior tourney got Open's ranking. I lost to a nationally ranked 45's in the sectional 2 yrs ago in the quarterfinal. He beat me 7-6, 7-5. I've also beaten a lot of D2 players. But the was ages ago, 2 yrs away from tennis is a long time.

Offline Tennis Freak

• Tennis Enthusiast
The Volley Lob
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2005, 09:34:39 AM »
2 Weeks off of tennis is a long time for me.  After 2 years I wouldn't know which side of the racquet to hold.  I would probably try to hit the ball with the handle.

Offline timd818

• Tennis God
The Volley Lob
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2005, 09:39:31 AM »
My 2 yrs away from tennis wasn't a total lost, I've learnt to play with my right hand while my left elbow was resting. So if I run into someone really bad, I play right handed  :))

Offline MC ill Logic

• Tennis God
The Volley Lob
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2005, 07:51:04 PM »
The competition in 5.5's must be tight.  Look at this.  These are the results for the guy ranked 66.
Win
Dolan, Tim M.  73
1-6; 7-6; 6-2

Q
Win
Bamberger, John L  77
6-1; 6-3

S
Loss
Chang, Michael  16
7-5; 7-6
The score he had against the 73rd ranked guy and the 16th ranked guy are comparable.  And Chang lost to the #1 ranked guy 6-3, 7-6.  

Dolan should be ranked a lot higher.  He just hasn't played enough tournaments.  I beat him once 2 and 2, but another time he beat me.  He's about the most aggressive player I've ever faced.   Terrible match up for me, and just about anybody.

Offline timd818

• Tennis God
The Volley Lob
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2005, 12:15:05 AM »
Nice Mc Ill Logic, I'm definately going to enjoy hitting with you this weekend. It's been a while since I can cut loose on my strokes. I'm a little bit erratic right now, but it's coming back. All I have to worry about now is not to re-injury my elbow. So far it's been holding up pretty nicely.

Offline The Dog

• Tennis Player
The Volley Lob
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2005, 10:32:31 AM »
any ball that comes to me at waist level of higher when I'm at the net is meant to be put away, not lobbed.  the probability of making it too short is high and if that happens I'm likely to be eating said ball.

Online Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
The Volley Lob
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2005, 10:34:57 AM »
But if you are 5' behind the net and the opposing net players are directly on top of the net the option of putting it away may not be there.  But I hear you knocking.
Scott Baker

Offline MC ill Logic

• Tennis God
The Volley Lob
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2005, 06:30:46 PM »
The volley lob is one of those shots that people don't really "decide" to hit.  I've only hit them when I instantly realized it was the perfect shot to hit.  And most of us don't play against players with the foot speed necessary to even come close to chasing one down.  

Plus, it's demoralizing.  People feel like they're being toyed with when you hit this shot.