Author Topic: I need some advice on my Strokes  (Read 1970 times)

Offline sweet_thing

• Tennis Player
I need some advice on my Strokes
« on: January 05, 2007, 05:53:53 PM »
I was wondering if I could get some advice on my Forehand, I need some help.

I want to play college tennis.

Any help would be great.

http://www.tennisclip.com/media/55/My_Forehand_Groundstroke/

Thanks

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 06:05:53 PM »
Hey ST, welcome to the forums!  

This tennis clip thing is pretty cool!  I wish everyone who hit me up with tennis questions about their game would throw a video at me.  

My initial 2 comments from just watching the 2 forehand strokes would be:

1.  Stepping into your shot more.  I think that will get you moving into the ball and that should help you hit with some more power.

2.  Footwork.  You get around the ball just fine, but as always with any player, I would rather see you do it with 4-5 steps rather than 1-2.  You can hear the squeal of your shoe in the second forehand as you slide around to hit the ball.  I think it would help if you took a few steps instead of sliding across.  That would also allow you to make minor adjustments on bad bounces and what not.  It would help you to get around the ball quicker to allow you to step into the court as you hit that shot.

Your stroke looks fairly good though.

Let's see if McIll can inlighten us with some wisdom as well.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 09:24:38 PM »
Looks like medium to soft paced forehands, and no backhands, so there's not much to go on. A couple pretty simple and solid forehands.
Not much to go wrong there. You could take the racquet back a bit farther by turning your shoulders more to get more pace and spin. It seems somewhat constrained, but I'd hate to go against what your coach is advising you to do.
Scott (Tennis4You) is right though. Footwork is extremely important, and small bouncy steps are better than large sliding steps. I should know. I'm the big cheese in the bad footwork group. I've regretted not developing good footwork these last 5 or 6 years as my health gets worse and I can't compensate for it as much as I used to. Also, transferring your weight through the ball rather than sideways will give you more depth on your shot without costing anything.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline MC ill Logic

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 09:43:39 PM »
First off, not bad at all.  Just keep practicing.

I agree with Scott about the footwork.  Start jumping rope, doing footwork exercises, become more forceful with your footwork because right now you're just sort of sliding around.  

Your left arm isn't being used fully.  Check out this
video of Federer's forehand
.  See how his non racket arm extends straight out and across, that's to help with the shoulder turn but, more importantly, to create a counter balance.  I've used this analogy several times.  First, think of a tight rope walker.  
Whether they do it by holding a long stick or simply by sticking their arms straight out, having that extra weight spread out helps you maintain balance.  Right now, you SORT OF stick your left arm out for balance, but not really.  It's just sort of sticking out there without purpose and then quickly flops down.  

Instead, keep it out longer, really create a nice stable base, then when you start swinging forward towards the ball, bring it into your body like Federer does.  What it does is redistributes your body weight, brings more weight INTO your body, allowing you to torque faster.  It's the same reason why figure skaters bring their arms in when they want their spins to go faster.

So stick that arm out to maintain balance, to create a nice, smooth, almost slow backswing/shoulder turn, but when you start swinging towards the ball, bring that left arm in closer to the body to torque faster and create more racket head speed.

Also, notice that Federer, his shoulders open up more before he makes contact with the ball.  Your shoulders and racket head, and racket arm, are lined up almost perfectly throughout the whole stroke (at least on the first one, on the second forehand, your shoulder and arms almost seem to be working independently).  It's like a straight line (like a door swinging open), your racket head all the way across to your left shoulder.  It shouldn't be like that IMO.  The shoulder should open first, you should almost be facing the net squarely while your racket head is still lagging behind, and the butt should almost be pointed at the net or ball.  Look around 16 seconds into the Federer clip, pause it at 16 to see what I'm talking about.  This will create more of a whip action.  If you think of a whip, your hand is always leading and the tip is always last to follow, and the tip is the part that goes the fastest because it mooches momentum from everything that came before it.  All the other parts of the whip are sort of pulling on the tip, making it easier for the tip to generate speed.  It's the same reason why the back seat on a rollercoaster whips around the most.  You should think of your forehand like that.  People call it a kinetic chain.  You shouldn't be like an opening door, perfectly straight as you swing, more like a whip.

And as a consequence, you're arming the ball too much (especially on the second forehand), although your preparation and shoulder turn, on the backswing, is pretty good.  I like your compact backswing.  

Last thing, speaking of kinetic chain, you use your legs okay on the stroke, it's not like you're totally stiff legged, but you could definitely put more spring into your stroke.  It all starts with the legs.  Use the leg to put extra spin and power into your shots.  And like Scott mentioned, if the ball is landing at the service line, you really should attack it more, step into it.  Have the feeder vary the depth of their feed.

Overall, you're on the right track.  I think you could definitely make some D-3 squads I've seen.  Good luck!  :)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 10:19:46 PM »
That Fed forehand link did not take me to a video of Fed yo.  :(
Scott Baker

Offline MC ill Logic

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 03:27:56 AM »
^  Haha.  That was a link to some of the worst album covers of all time.  It's fixt.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 05:46:23 AM »
heres another great video - believe it or not my backhand improved a 1000% (well technically i had a 0 backhand a 1000% improvement over that is still 0 but thats beside the point)  and i learnt some good stuff other wise too.

oh heres teh link almost forgot:

I couldn't quite see your video sweet thing - i can only hear the sound but no visual thing so i can't tell anything specific.

McIll and T4U brought up really important points.

I would like to add one that has improved my forehand a lot and thats bending your knees. It turns out no matter how low i bend my knees - i get better when i bend lower. I saw agassi's videos and he is a good example for that. he's already short but he bends his knees real well before hitting - this gives you more lift/topspin on the ball and you can hit harder as well (the whole strong frame = wide racquet = more topspin = more power thing thats apparently the biggest diff from ten years ago).
also work with your swing length a bit - even if you are 'used' to say a short backswing try out a long one just to see if it makes a diff - thats another thing that changed my game quite  a bit - i went from playing with a 103sqinch racquet strung at 55 with short backswings to a 95sqinch racquet strung at 63 after i realized this and man the control is brilliant - some days i even believe i can give roger a run for his money - usually moments before i smash a ball out the court or somethng like that.
scott already mentioned footwork - thats a biggie.

I tried playing college tennis but 1) I didn't make the D1 team (they recruit people from like Bolleteri's Academy and pay their tuition - where do you think a kid who picked up a racquet 4 years ago and plays in the summers and for a high school team with the worst record in state stands?)  and 2) the team is getting cut this year because of budget cuts. but what I find in thier games different is more or less the footwork - and i tried focusing on my footwork and i started playing levels levels better - it was really tiring though so there comes fitness.

but what else what else..
i really dont know what level you are playing at but i am sure you know all the 'rules' like take the ball high when you want to hit a flat one.. stuff like that.
also timing - work on changing your timing and see how that effects your forehand. i always find it amazing that someone like justine can get as much power on a ball as some of the guys. i believe timing has something to do with it. takign the ball slightly earlier can make a big difference.

oh and your head - if you watch federer you will see how his head stays in the same spot as when he hits the ball for some time after he hits it. supposedly when you move your head away, as in to look at where the ball is going or anything like that - you change your whole follow through becuase the head is really heavy so the force used to turn your head away counteracts on your shoulder/body so that ruins your forehand too.

ok thats about all i can think. this is good - i am going out to hit with a freind in an hour or so after a while so i want to see how i play myself.
and i am interested about what others have to say on this topic.
thank you.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007, 06:52:37 AM »
Good posts pawan89, and nice video.  I hadn't seen that before, it is sweet.

If you could not get ST's video to work try opening it in a different browser?  I opened it in Mozilla with no problems.
Scott Baker

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2007, 07:26:46 AM »
thanks.
I actually tried it in firefox too and was thinking of installing internet explorer too but i figured the problem wasnt with Opera it was just the quicktime that wont for soem reason run - which is also odd because jsut day before i was playing some video in quicktime - it says something is missing and it cannot be found on the quicktime server either so i dont know maybe i will reinstall it.

Offline sweet_thing

• Tennis Player
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2007, 09:28:55 AM »
I just wanted to say thanks alot! You guys have given me the best advice by far. I do appreciate your time and info. Hopfully I can apply it  :// .

:H

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2007, 09:30:37 AM »
No problem, it is what we are here for!  

Feel free to stick around and chat some tennis with us and keep us up to date on your game.  I would love to see some videos of your forehand in another few weeks to see if anything has helped.
Scott Baker