Author Topic: I need some help w/ Technique  (Read 1752 times)

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
I need some help w/ Technique
« on: January 10, 2007, 07:21:56 PM »
Okay... So the more inconsistent part of my game was my forehand. I've worked on it and it's fine now, only thing is that now my backhand has kind of declined... I'm generally a flat hitter b/c I love the pace, and the sound it makes, and the power in the shots, BUT I tend use spin a lot with my backhand especially when it's at my waist level and below. Any higher and I can really pound the ball hard. But the problem is, I can't seem to really generate much pace when the ball is lower.

So my question is: What techniques would you suggest in order for me to add power and pace to a low ball without hitting it out? And while we're on the subject, can you throw in a couple tips about backhand volleys?

Thanks
Be the change that you seek.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 07:31:08 PM »
Low balls are suppose to be harder to hit flat and hard.  One of the biggest things you can do (and maybe you already do) is get to the ball as early as possible to avoid it from getting lower.  Hitting with spin will slow the ball down, but that is not a bad thing.  It will give you a larger margin for error.  I have not known very many people to ever just "T" off on low balls with a flat stroke.  McIll's thoughts on this one will be interesting...

As far as the bakchand volley, I would just give the same advise as any volley.  Little to no swing, move to the ball as early as humanly possible, yes on the ball and keep your racquet head above your wrist.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 07:48:55 PM »
Quote from: "Tennis4you"
Low balls are suppose to be harder to hit flat and hard.  One of the biggest things you can do (and maybe you already do) is get to the ball as early as possible to avoid it from getting lower.  Hitting with spin will slow the ball down, but that is not a bad thing.  It will give you a larger margin for error.  I have not known very many people to ever just "T" off on low balls with a flat stroke.  McIll's thoughts on this one will be interesting...

Well, that helped a lot. thanks...
I still just love speed and power though! lol

Quote from: "Tennis4you"
As far as the bakchand volley, I would just give the same advise as any volley.  Little to no swing, move to the ball as early as humanly possible, yes on the ball and keep your racquet head above your wrist.

I have no problem w/ volleying in general. It's just that my backhand volleys always feel awkward; like I'm never really in conrol of the shot...just luck.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 08:47:00 PM »
My giving advice on the topspin backhand would be like my giving advice on advanced calculus. In otherwords, I won't bother. I'll skip the backhand volley.
Once you get the hang of it, you will feel (as I do) like it is the more comfortable shot and the forehand is more awkward. It's pretty simple, and with repetition can become second nature. I'll give four things I keep in mind while volleying;
1. Shoulders not arm - like in most tennis shots, but really all you need is a quick soulder turn and meet the ball in front of your body as if with the back of your hand.
2. Your racquet head should be above your wrist and elbow. Some say make an 'L' with the racquet and wrist. This keeps the racquet in a firm position at impact.
3. Keep the racquet, and in fact the entire motion, as still as possible. No excess movement is needed. Just meet the ball out front with the racquet face.
4. Keep the ball in front of you at all costs.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 08:50:42 PM »
Okay, I'll try that next time. Thanks! ;)

Offline tennisplayer89

• Tennis Player
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 05:45:12 PM »
My advice for the low balls would be to hit lots of topspin. The ball may not be traveling as quickly through the air, but the shot is overall more effective.
1. Larger margin for error
The spin will give you more control and keep balls from going too deep.
2. Angles
You can use lots of topspin to hit nice angles that kick off the court. I especially like to hit these on low balls. Its actually easy because you will be hitting over the lowest part of the net.
3. Hit with pace
Topspin allows you to swing hard. Without topspin the balls will surely go long or in the net.
4. Strong Bounce
Topspin shots may not appear to be as effective because they are not as fast as flat shots, but have you seen a heavy topspin ball? The ball hits the ground and literally takes off. This is effective becuase it makes it harder for your opponent to time his shots.

On those low balls, a deep slice could be just as effective.

Backhand volleys are another story. I am not sure what you might be doing wrong, but most people have trouble keeping their racket out in front. Keep your contact point in front of you and your volleys will be solid. Remember, not to swing on the volleys either.
If you need extra help with your tennis game or just need to talk with another player then visit these tennis forums and help site.

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 09:25:27 AM »
Amazing response. thanks!

Offline blisteringboom

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 04:31:48 PM »
Bend your knees(my favorite tip)
"So soon it parted , lifting itself into the air. It bent – the world did. High was low , low was high ,and so he soared into the ground that was the sky." Tyler Vergil

Offline Mystify

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 09:13:36 PM »
Well u should bend your knees and use more topspin ,cause u can create more angles with it.  and step into the ball.

Offline tennisplayer89

• Tennis Player
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2007, 09:27:00 PM »
Bending your knees is very important on the groundstrokes. It helps you get under the ball better which gives more spin and more lift which larger margin for error.
If you need extra help with your tennis game or just need to talk with another player then visit these tennis forums and help site.

Offline blisteringboom

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2007, 09:39:34 PM »
Quote from: "tennisplayer89"
Bending your knees is very important on the groundstrokes. It helps you get under the ball better which gives more spin and more lift which larger margin for error.

That's what i said...  ;)
"So soon it parted , lifting itself into the air. It bent – the world did. High was low , low was high ,and so he soared into the ground that was the sky." Tyler Vergil

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2007, 10:22:04 PM »
Quote from: "blisteringboom"
Quote from: "tennisplayer89"

That's what i said...  ;)

Bending your knees is a good tip:
"Watch the ball
Bend your knees
That'll be $20 please."
This was on a business card a teacher gave me 15 or 20 years ago. $20! It's $60 or $70 now!
That being said, on the volley you definantly want your knees flexible (ready to spring in any direction), but if it's a high volley a knee bend is counter productive.  Better to say bend with the ball. If it's low, get down and hit as I described earlier, with the racquet head above the wrist if possible.
Bending your knees on ground strokes is always a good idea (it's free power and spin, how can you loose), and especially on the serve.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline tennisplayer89

• Tennis Player
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2007, 11:03:42 PM »
There is a saying about bending your knees with the ball on volleys, but I can't seem to remember it. I think it might have been something like try to keep the ball eye level. Obviously, not possible on certain shots but in general.

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2007, 02:23:04 PM »
Okay, that's a whole lot to digest, but I'll try my best to incorporate that into my game. thanks again.