Author Topic: Other than Roger Federer at Wimbledon is anybody a lock?  (Read 3672 times)

Anonymous

Other than Roger Federer at Wimbledon is anybody a lock?
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2005, 12:05:30 PM »
Quote from: "BitterBlueBong"
LMAO!

People, hold your horses!

This is what I said:

I'd say Serena is the closest thing to it

...that doesn't mean Serena is close to a lock. It means she's the closest thing to a lock that the women's field has. There is a difference. And here you two go talking about calendar slams. LOL.

Ok, sorry I misinterpreted, but note I said "if that is what you think."
I did not feel for certain if that is what you meant.    I agree she is the closest to a sure thing, I just think apart from perhaps Wimbledon she will have challengers more so than at the peak of her dominance in 2002.   Her win in Australia was impressive but it was not the Serena of 2002 yet IMO.    Then again she probably would have won the slam in 2002 if she hadnt injured herself at the warm up.

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2005, 12:06:18 PM »
Sorry again that was meant to be myself speaking.   LOL!

Offline BitterBlueBong

• Tennis God
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2005, 12:25:59 PM »
LOL You should just stay logged in  :)

I agree she is the closest to a sure thing, I just think apart from perhaps Wimbledon she will have challengers more so than at the peak of her dominance in 2002. Her win in Australia was impressive but it was not the Serena of 2002 yet IMO.

I agree. Though when you think about it, she had similar struggles winning the AO in 03 (struggled in 1st round, barely escaped the semis, won the final in a 3-setter). You know, I was just remembering that 2 of her 3 grand slam losses last year came at the hands of Capriati -- I wonder if that rivalry will even be a factor this year. I'm curious though, who do you think would challenge her at the U.S. who won't challenge her at Wimbledon?

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2005, 02:52:21 PM »
Well it is hard to tell if Capriati, Clijsters, even Henin and any other top players out right now can become serious contenders again or not; or if they have dropped from the top group altogether.    However among the possable contenders late in the year Capriati, Clijsters, Davenport, Henin, would all have more of a chance against Serena on a hard court than grass IMO.   None of those would be favored, Davenport in top form would be closest to even odds maybe.   However all would have a better chance of an upset than on grass I believe.    Venus, Kuznetsova, and Sharapova's odds probably remain the same.     Mauresmo's odds stay the same, and Myskina and Dementieva are much better players on hard than grass, but I dont count either of those as people that could beat Serena at the U.S open, although all could be contenders if Serena goes out maybe.   So overall among the possable contenders, half would have more of a chance of an upset on hard courts, not due to Serena, but just because they arent as strong on grass as hard, while half stay about the same.  That is how I see it anyway.

I have serous doubts on Capriati becoming a top contender again.   I could easily see her retire before the end of the year.   To beat Serena in the quarters of two slams last year, and lose in the next round each time, on the heals of her heartbreaking U.S open loss to Henin in 2003, it will be hard for her to overcome emotionaly at this point in her career.  Plus she has maxed out her game I believe, I just dont think she can keep up with the younger players anymore.   There are too many players who will be favored to beat her.   She seems to get up for Serena but I dont think she will be enough of a top player to continue their rivalry this year.