Author Topic: Navratilova Quote - Really?  (Read 3494 times)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Navratilova Quote - Really?
« on: December 12, 2004, 04:40:06 PM »
Navratilova made the quote below about the women's tour being deeper than the men's tour.  I had seen it the other way around, at least a year ago I did.  Does Federer alone take out a crap load of the depth on the men's tour?  I still think more men outside the top 10 could beat some of the top 10 men.  On the women's side some of the women like Serena, Henin play the first few rounds in Slams and make the players look like amatures.    

Thoughts about that?  Is the WTA really deeper?  If Federer wasn't around would the same still be true?

Navratilova believes the depth in the women's game is greater than the men's, where Swiss maestro Roger Federer reigns supreme. She's a big fan of the multi-skilled Federer.

"He is kicking some butt in a serious way and there's no end in sight. It's amazing what he does on court with the ball, all the different spins he puts on the ball. He makes great players look ordinary."

In part that extra women's depth is down to playing numbers. More women are playing than men.

"The depth is better at the top but most of all it's better in the middle.

"Many more players are capable of getting in the top 10 or beating a top player on a given day. I had easier first or second round games than the top players these days.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline DirtyKash

• Tennis God
  • Child labor laws are ruining this country.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2004, 05:08:51 PM »
Navratilova is right, except she forgets that nobody cares about the women's game unless the two players playing are hot and wearing short skirts and low-cut tops.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2004, 05:31:00 PM »
:)~  :lmao:  :)~
Scott Baker

Offline Sebastien447

• Tennis Player
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2004, 05:32:08 PM »
Navratilova is wrong.

a) The fact that Fed completely dominated the ATP has nothing to do with deapth of the tour.

b) Fed has had one of the best years ever on the ATP and people are expecting him to repeat that dominance. I, for one, don't think it's gonna happen.

c) The early rounds of the ATP are far more competitive than those of the WTA. That does have something to do with deapth.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2004, 06:06:42 PM »
The men definelty have more interesting first, second, third round matches.  The women's are right down boring to watch until the 4th round, scratch that, until the semis.
Scott Baker

Offline Sebastien447

• Tennis Player
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2004, 06:52:03 PM »
Quote from: "Tennis4you"
The men definelty have more interesting first, second, third round matches.  The women's are right down boring to watch until the 4th round, scratch that, until the semis.

The women aren't as bad as they used to be ... I'm an old fart, so I can remember when the top players could double bagel until 4th round and then they'd start losing a game or two.

These days usually produce an interesting 4th round or two ... and the quarters can provide some entertainment.

Navratilova is just plain wrong on the depth issue ... just look at what happened to Fed at the Olympics. That type of upset almost never happens on the WTA.

Offline MC ill Logic

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2004, 07:52:07 AM »
Yeah, Martina is talking crazy.