Author Topic: Luvn10is- Journal (Balling in the ATL)  (Read 1714 times)

Offline luvn10is

• Tennis Player
Luvn10is- Journal (Balling in the ATL)
« on: January 27, 2007, 09:15:05 PM »
I live in Atlanta and here we are huge on tennis so I hit 3-4 days a week.  Since the USTA allows it, I'm on the rosters of a 4.0 and 4.5 team simultaneously although I honestly shouldn't compete at the lower level.  I play several tournaments every year at 4.5 or Open and I won a couple of titles last year, plus I'm nationally ranked in doubles in my age division.  I sandbag at 4.0 because my team is the best on and off the court.  We're all good friends who have played together for years and I'd love to go with them to the Nationals one of these days.  It'd be a hoot!  Hopefully I won't get bumped up before that happens.  

So far this season I've won all five of my 4.0 matches but lost the two 4.5s.  Even though I lost them I'm not terribly upset because, in addition to keeping my rating at 4.0, both matches were close and I lost one solely because I went brain dead after I got a big lead.  I have a big problem with doing that and I'm here to try to talk myself through this because the anxiety of it is driving my teammates nutty.

Every player blows a lead at one time or another but for me it's happened quite a bit the past few matches.  This past Thursday I played a makeup mixed match and my partner and I won the first set 6-3.  In the second we were up 4-1 and then my mind went on a walkabout.  When it came back we'd lost in a tiebreaker.  I can't even blame my partner for any part, it was entirely my fault.  I let so many balls float past that I nearly strained my neck watching them fall in.  I didn't even wave my racquet when set point slowly cruised over my shoulder and landed 2 feet inside baseline.  My partner was mad, but he was very nice about it.  He put some friendly pressure on me and we won the third quickly, 6-1.  

And even though I was aware of it, it happened again today.  It was the first round of the 4.0 playoffs and I played 1 doubles.  Our opponents were slow starters and we overwhelmed them early, taking the first set 6-1.  Going into the second we had them looking demoralized so we stayed on them and were soon serving at 3-0.  Instead of me going for the jugular and getting the heck off the court, I mentally started clipping my toenails and physically stopped moving my feet.  Again I stupidly let balls go by and we didn't win another game that set.  Between the second and third my partner and our opponents left the court for a short break and my coach pulled partner aside.  He told her to tell me to get my butt hustling or he'd put a foot in it at practice.  That was all the motivation I needed and we won the third 6-1.

I don't know why I go away during my matches.  I'm bothered by it because it's only a matter of time before I sleep away a match the team really needs.  Oy, this is frustrating!  Tomorrow I play mixed.  Hopefully I'll figure this out and win in straights.
I only work a job to support my tennis habit

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 01:47:12 PM »
Hey, Welcome to the boards! It sounds like you're a pretty good player. I know exactly what it's like to go brain dead; but for me it doesn't usually happen in parts of a match. Maybe in parts of a tournament (like I would kill people early in the tounament and then suck towards the end). But it doesn't happen now as much as it used to. Your journals seem like they would interest me. Are you in High school? Are you trying out for your team?
Be the change that you seek.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 11:12:23 AM »
Welcome!   You would have to be over 18 to play USTA, right?  I was interested because you say your nationally ranked in your age division in dubs.....you don't have to answer if you don't want to, but what age division is it?  

On letting a match slip from you.......you know that you just have to stay truly focused all through the match.  This is 1 of the big steps in my mind about playing solid 4.5 level, being able to finish and win the points that you should instead of making errors.   Some of us on here play 4.5 in Ohio so I am right there with you.    Looking forward to reading about your progress!  

BTW, my bro played in Atlanta for awhile but he played in ALTA not USTA.  I expect you know of this ALTA as I think it is ridiculously big like USTA or something!

Offline luvn10is

• Tennis Player
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 10:00:10 PM »
Thanks for the welcome, y'all!  You have a really nice site here.  I particularly like the tennis blogs.  It seems that at a lot of the other sites it's more spectators than actual players.  This place is refreshing.

Yup, I'm an old baller and I'm ranked in the Women's 40s.  I play ALTA also.  It can't be avoided.  If you live in Atlanta and can swing a racquet no self-respecting ALTA captain is going to let you escape their roster.  

Thanks for the advice.  I know I have to work on my focus but with the way my mind wanders nowadays that's easier said than done.  :)~
I only work a job to support my tennis habit

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 10:10:18 PM »
Quote from: "luvn10is"
Thanks for the welcome, y'all!  You have a really nice site here.  I particularly like the tennis blogs.  It seems that at a lot of the other sites it's more spectators than actual players.  This place is refreshing.

Yup, I'm an old baller and I'm ranked in the Women's 40s.  I play ALTA also.  It can't be avoided.  If you live in Atlanta and can swing a racquet no self-respecting ALTA captain is going to let you escape their roster.  

Thanks for the advice.  I know I have to work on my focus but with the way my mind wanders nowadays that's easier said than done.  :)~

If I have not welcomed you elsewhere, Welcome to the forums!!!
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 12:03:34 PM »
Quote from: "luvn10is"

Got it!  I especially like hearing from the people that play often as their tennis knowledge can be based off their own playing experiences.  When did you start playing tennis and did you play in College, if you don't mind me asking?