Instructional Tennis > Tennis Journals

Pawan's Tennis Journal

<< < (2/94) > >>

wilsonboy:

--- Quote from: "pawan89" ---I'm going to hit with a friend Thursday eve in the indoor courts at my college - last time I played here I felt the courts were too long so I stuck to playing outdoors even through the winter. But I also broke my only remaining racquet strings that day and had to play with one borrowed from the people so.. I'll give the courts another shot. Also these courts are blue so its amazing.. first time I have played on courts that aren't all green or red/green. you know I read somewhere that green and blue hardcourts play faster than the red/green and all red courts. I think that's odd but I guess after having read that I found the all green courts and the blue courts slightly faster.. most likely its all mental.
--- End quote ---

lol, it's funny how you said "thrusday's eve" instead of wednesday.lol anywho, you seem like someone who's passionate about tennis. You said that your backhand gives u the most trouble right? well, here's how I overcame the "backhand learning curve": just think of the backhand as a reverse forhand. In most cases when u just start w/ the backhand, one wouldn't turn their body enough to make a solid hit. So make sure that you turn your body and bring the racquet back enough before trying to make the shot. But most of the problems w/ learning a backhand is mental. People generally get uncomfortable w/ the fact that they have to put their focus on their less dominant side. But once you get it, it'll be your favorite shot. ;)

OSU Buckeye:

--- Quote from: "wilsonboy" ---
--- Quote from: "pawan89" ---I'm going to hit with a friend Thursday eve in the indoor courts at my college - last time I played here I felt the courts were too long so I stuck to playing outdoors even through the winter. But I also broke my only remaining racquet strings that day and had to play with one borrowed from the people so.. I'll give the courts another shot. Also these courts are blue so its amazing.. first time I have played on courts that aren't all green or red/green. you know I read somewhere that green and blue hardcourts play faster than the red/green and all red courts. I think that's odd but I guess after having read that I found the all green courts and the blue courts slightly faster.. most likely its all mental.
--- End quote ---

lol, it's funny how you said "thrusday's eve" instead of wednesday.lol anywho, you seem like someone who's passionate about tennis. You said that your backhand gives u the most trouble right? well, here's how I overcame the "backhand learning curve": just think of the backhand as a reverse forhand. In most cases when u just start w/ the backhand, one wouldn't turn their body enough to make a solid hit. So make sure that you turn your body and bring the racquet back enough before trying to make the shot. But most of the problems w/ learning a backhand is mental. People generally get uncomfortable w/ the fact that they have to put their focus on their less dominant side. But once you get it, it'll be your favorite shot. ;)
--- End quote ---

I think he/she just meant Thursday evening.  That is what I thought.     ;-()

pawan89:

--- Quote from: "OSU Buckeye" ---
--- Quote from: "wilsonboy" ---
--- End quote ---

I think he/she just meant Thursday evening.  That is what I thought.     ;-()
--- End quote ---

Yeah, I meant thursday although I wish it was tonight.. its been too long and i cant wait any longer.
Thanks for the advice on the backhand, I'll try focusing especially on the turning body and bringing racquet back in time this time and let you know how it felt. I think that might improve it a lot because sometimes I find myself telling myself to turn more, because the forehand i am used to, if i cannot fully turn that is, hitting the ball well even if i am like facing the net.. that is I can, and everyone does, hit a forehand completely well even if  i dont turn my body at all.. which is totally not the case with a backhand ..  so I'll let you know. thank you very much. my backhand is even now my favourite shot becuase the times that it goes in, which is like 1 in 2 usually.. half of them are amazing.. not that its that the shot itself has speed or becomes a winner or anything but i just love the whole motion and how it just.. flows. especially when i do happen to get a wonderful down the line winner with a beautiful shot.

and so i guess it wasnt just me and the courts were really slightly faster? I liked it.. I also liked the colour scheme but maybe thats what (and the borrowed racquet) screwed up my perception of the length of the court. the tension was really low too so everything i hit went way way deeper than i usually hit.

thats also actually one thing i wanted to ask you guys about - depth control. ever since i started playing i always hit balls pretty short.. not deep at all compared to most players. but it was fine i mean i never complained and i was too busy learning and improving other things to bother about that yet.. and then after i bought a new racquet last year, I all of a sudden started hitting balls deep. real deep. like i even hit balls long now.. which is strange cuz I think i have gone many matches without ever hitting the ball long - that is the ball is close but its out.. they always fall short or if it goes long its like a missed lob or forehand. ever since then even when i play with my old racquets now i hit the ball deep... and thats the case even now. its not necesarily a bad thing at all but i am just curious how all of a sudden with the switch of a racquet it changes and then more suprisingly, stays that way even after switching back. one thing though, I did change my tension overall from like 55-58 to 60-63 at the same time i bought that racquet.. so all my racquets ever since have been strung tighter but shouldn't the ball not go deep if its tighter? i mean i still hit with teh same force and spin so i dont see how a tighter string bed makes it go further.
but i'll ask this after i play tommorrow.. not now.

thanks once agian.

pawan89:
So, rather disappointingly, I couldn't play Thursday. I called to reserve the courts late and had to be put on a  waiting list. By the time I was on the court it was close to closing time so I just went there and hit for five minutes with this kid there.. I was in jeans and I played with his extra racquet cuz I wasn't getting ready for five minutes of play.
A note - I play with his extra racquet .. it was that N six one thing that Fed uses cept the 95sqinch one. Now I want one. I really wasn't trying to hit any shots or anything but the few that I hit were amazing, I spent more time marvelling at the racquet than actually hitting. And the whole headlight thing, WOW did it change my serve or what. It was amazing, I just couldn't get speed on it but it was amazing all the same. I researched it a bit and they said it was a good one.. and now I want it. Is there any point to buying new racquets? Like I know my friend bought a Wilson prostaff in some southern state for $4, yes $4.. strung and all and its an amazing racquet as you all know. Sure its not like brand new but its in better shape than the new racquet with which I played last summer. I mean there's no problem if I can find a used racquet thats not like beaten up right? I mean if it means saving some money that I could invest on some strings or something. Hopefully now with the KFactor in I can find some good deal on that ncode thing.
Also, I didn't hit any real backhands (flat or topspin) cuz I wanted to you know get a rally going for the five minutes so I sliced them all.. but how do you return a high backhand when returning serve? In fact.. how are you supposed to return a good backhand while returning serve? Till now I have done well to just throw in my second hand for extra stability and block it back deep and sometimes if i am really confident swing a little and i even pull of winners sometimes but thats not the right way to do it is it? Especially when its high, I touch it and pray to god that it goes in and the opponent isn't volleying of his serve.

Tennis4you:

--- Quote from: "pawan89" ---So, rather disappointingly, I couldn't play Thursday. I called to reserve the courts late and had to be put on a  waiting list. By the time I was on the court it was close to closing time so I just went there and hit for five minutes with this kid there.. I was in jeans and I played with his extra racquet cuz I wasn't getting ready for five minutes of play.
A note - I play with his extra racquet .. it was that N six one thing that Fed uses cept the 95sqinch one. Now I want one. I really wasn't trying to hit any shots or anything but the few that I hit were amazing, I spent more time marvelling at the racquet than actually hitting. And the whole headlight thing, WOW did it change my serve or what. It was amazing, I just couldn't get speed on it but it was amazing all the same. I researched it a bit and they said it was a good one.. and now I want it. Is there any point to buying new racquets? Like I know my friend bought a Wilson prostaff in some southern state for $4, yes $4.. strung and all and its an amazing racquet as you all know. Sure its not like brand new but its in better shape than the new racquet with which I played last summer. I mean there's no problem if I can find a used racquet thats not like beaten up right? I mean if it means saving some money that I could invest on some strings or something. Hopefully now with the KFactor in I can find some good deal on that ncode thing.
Also, I didn't hit any real backhands (flat or topspin) cuz I wanted to you know get a rally going for the five minutes so I sliced them all.. but how do you return a high backhand when returning serve? In fact.. how are you supposed to return a good backhand while returning serve? Till now I have done well to just throw in my second hand for extra stability and block it back deep and sometimes if i am really confident swing a little and i even pull of winners sometimes but thats not the right way to do it is it? Especially when its high, I touch it and pray to god that it goes in and the opponent isn't volleying of his serve.
--- End quote ---

High backhands give a lot of people trouble.  I am short so ball get high on me fast.  I am able to slice the high balls pretty well off fo the backhand side.  I am not very good at hitting the high ones with topspin.  If you are going to slice the high ball, be sure to step into your shot.  I lean back on a lot of my forehands, but you must step into a slice shot for it to be a effective.

I use the nSix-One and I love it.  I plan on using them for a long time.  If you buy it new they are expensive.  I bought 2 used ones and they were $80.00 each which isn't too bad considering they are $160.00.  I will always buy used racquets now.  If people online tell you they are 9/10 condition that means they are in damn good condition.  I bought one from someone who said 9/10 condition and there was still plastic on the handle, amazing!  People make a living off of selling used racquets online.  This forum has a classifieds and so does tenniswarehouse.  Both good for finding used racquets.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version