Author Topic: Pawan's Tennis Journal  (Read 66222 times)

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
Pawan's Tennis Journal
« Reply #200 on: July 15, 2007, 04:33:33 PM »
Hey Pawan, I am curious if you had swelling or any funky ankle bruises yet?    Good luck with the recovery!   :)

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
Pawan's Tennis Journal
« Reply #201 on: July 15, 2007, 09:52:54 PM »
Quote from: "dmastous"
You should see a doctor on that. I did a pretty bad ankle turn playing basketball. I basically landed on it sideways. It did swell up pretty badly. Turned out it wasn't broken, but I did pull some ligaments on the outside of the ankle, which kept me out of tennis for a few months.

I don't go to doctors. I dislike doctors with a passion, well not the people but just what they do, and have never been to a doctor with any sickness/injury yet and never plan on it. My aunt's a doctor, so worst case I talk to her - at her house. I also don't take Tylenol or any alopathic medicine unless its totally totally necessary. My dad's a homeopathic doctor and I believe in that. But even then - I believe firmly in the natural healing process unless its beyond that. I never went to a doctor when I smashed my knee years ago, I just slept for a week. So.. yeah. Tell me its not necessary  ;>) a few months is too much dmast. i am sorry you had to go through it but I have enough lack of play for months without any injury as it is. I should have thought you play some basketball, you're a tall dude, same goes for OSU I suppose?

Quote from: "OSU Buckeye"
Hey Pawan, I am curious if you had swelling or any funky ankle bruises yet? Good luck with the recovery!

There is a swelling, as long as it is how it is, I don't mind - I just hope it doesnt get bigger. But after icing it for three hours I felt allright. But, I should have stayed home and called off work. Instead I worked and today was start of the can-can sale where everything in the store thats in a can is on sale, so it was really busy. And I was limping all the time but you know, once the decision's taken I am not one to back out. And I don't regret anything I do. So.. I think I did aggravate it a little, maybe it will take a few more days than I thought, it seems a little worse than I expected - I can't walk properly even two steps without the pain. I'll ice it through the night and we'll see what happens.

Quote from: "boatsign"
Sounds like a sprained ankle. The sports medicine people who look at it can give you a type of plastic splint that stabilizes the ankle and lets you continue playing. You might have to do muscle-strengthening exercises.

I probably should do that for faster recovery right. and generally speaking too I suppose right? Thanks. I don't think I am that desperate to keep playing, I really don't want to be hopping on court and increase the chances of both my legs being out of business  :a)

Quote from: "murrayfan11"

Sounds pretty painful, hope it gets better for you man!!!

Thanks :)), and you know what you should hope it gets better soon because you know what'll happen if I stay home more and more? your post count will start looking like baby numbers compared to mine :))

I still think (maybe I hope?) that its not a big deal but my parents are making it a big deal. but they do that for everything.. so. I don't know. One thing is for sure, I won't be playing any tennis for at least a few days.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
Pawan's Tennis Journal
« Reply #202 on: July 16, 2007, 10:02:57 AM »
To bad for you Pawan, here's hoping you are back on court swatting balls soon!   :)

Offline FreeBird

• Tennis God
Pawan's Tennis Journal
« Reply #203 on: July 16, 2007, 11:09:26 AM »
Quote from: "pawan89"

I don't go to doctors. I dislike doctors with a passion, well not the people but just what they do, and have never been to a doctor with any sickness/injury yet and never plan on it. My aunt's a doctor, so worst case I talk to her - at her house. I also don't take Tylenol or any alopathic medicine unless its totally totally necessary. My dad's a homeopathic doctor and I believe in that. But even then - I believe firmly in the natural healing process unless its beyond that. I never went to a doctor when I smashed my knee years ago, I just slept for a week. So.. yeah. Tell me its not necessary  ;>) a few months is too much dmast. i am sorry you had to go through it but I have enough lack of play for months without any injury as it is. I should have thought you play some basketball, you're a tall dude, same goes for OSU I suppose?

That's an interesting position - what is it specifically that you "dislike with a passion" about doctors?  That they try to heal people using reason and science?  

There is a swelling, as long as it is how it is, I don't mind - I just hope it doesnt get bigger. But after icing it for three hours I felt allright. But, I should have stayed home and called off work. Instead I worked and today was start of the can-can sale where everything in the store thats in a can is on sale, so it was really busy. And I was limping all the time but you know, once the decision's taken I am not one to back out. And I don't regret anything I do. So.. I think I did aggravate it a little, maybe it will take a few more days than I thought, it seems a little worse than I expected - I can't walk properly even two steps without the pain. I'll ice it through the night and we'll see what happens.  

I think it's good to not regret the things that you do, but it's also good to realize that some things you do don't turn out well, and should be done differently next time - learning from experience in other words.  In this particular case, boatsign's advice is golden - you need to stabilize the joint to prevent further damage to it, as well as to allow it time to heal (naturally!) - as soon as possible.  If you don't want to go to a doctor for it, you can always wrap your ankle yourself, using athletic tape - here's a site I found using Google that looks pretty instructive:  http://www.nismat.org/traincor/ankle_tape.html .  Is this allowed under the homeopathic theories that you subscribe to?
Good luck on the court is nice to have, but it's usually extraneous when playing against Baker.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
Pawan's Tennis Journal
« Reply #204 on: July 16, 2007, 11:25:13 AM »
Quote from: "FreeBird"

That's an interesting position - what is it specifically that you "dislike with a passion" about doctors?  That they try to heal people using reason and science?  

I am in Pawan's camp on the 'dislike doctors with a passion' concept. But I don't believe it's the right thing to do in the end. I guess I would say instead I dislike, and am a bit scared of hospitals.
That being said if you do do something major, like pull tendons, or break bones, you will be much better off seeing a doctor.
I'm the type who will get sick, and take a couple days to decide to go see a doctor, but eventually I'll bite the bullet, and go. When I pulled my ankle ligaments, had I not gone, I probably would have lost quite a bit of mobility, and quickness. But seeing a doctor (after it swelled up to baseball size), and getting it treated and wrapped, and staying off the courts for about 4 months allowed me to fully recover, and I haven't had much issues with that ankle since.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
Pawan's Tennis Journal
« Reply #205 on: July 16, 2007, 11:28:29 AM »
Quote from: "FreeBird"

I am in Pawan's camp on the 'dislike doctors with a passion' concept. But I don't believe it's the right thing to do in the end. I guess I would say instead I dislike, and am a bit scared of hospitals.
That being said if you do do something major, like pull tendons, or break bones, you will be much better off seeing a doctor.
I'm the type who will get sick, and take a couple days to decide to go see a doctor, but eventually I'll bite the bullet, and go. When I pulled my ankle ligaments, had I not gone, I probably would have lost quite a bit of mobility, and quickness. But seeing a doctor (after it swelled up to baseball size), and getting it treated and wrapped, and staying off the courts for about 4 months allowed me to fully recover, and I haven't had much issues with that ankle since.

You have mobility and quickness?   :;:-|  :)~     I am the same, I don't like going to hospitals and such.  I figure something bad has happened to be going down that road.  Of course, if something serious happened to me I would not hesitate to go.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
Pawan's Tennis Journal
« Reply #206 on: July 18, 2007, 11:38:43 PM »
Hey Freebird, thanks for the link. I tied up my leg and have been going about .. or should I say limping about.. my usual stuff with it tied and I definitely think its getting better. As of tonight I can walk properly very very slowly. Anything faster than a turtle I am still scared to actually walk properly. Hopefully i can get back to mild to ok tennis movement by monday. I can't wait to get back on court. I never even thought twice last time I had a slice of pizza or something.. and now I had a bagel with cream chesse for breakfast this morning and then almost 4 slices of pizza for dinner.. and just the thought of no real physical activity for the next few days makes me sick.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
Pawan's Tennis Journal
« Reply #207 on: July 18, 2007, 11:43:53 PM »
Oh and in other news, I bought this book, Inner Tennis by Gallwey - its supposed to be 'the practical successor to Gallwey's The inner Game of Tennis"
Our library had  a sale going on and when we got there it was almost over so they were selling everything half price - so this book cost me a grand total of 12.5 cents. That's right. It''s much more indepth than the Inner Game of Tennis, so now I won't bother buying Inner Game of Tennis as I have already read that and this book covers all that plus more in more depth.
Just thought I'd share the info.

Maybe I'll take a leaf out of Dallas's book and type out some of the newer ideas that might not have been present in the Inner Game of Tennis which most of you have read (I am assuming not many have read this one before since I have never seen it on any Tennis Book Lists).

Offline FreeBird

• Tennis God
Pawan's Tennis Journal
« Reply #208 on: July 19, 2007, 08:45:32 AM »
Hey Freebird, thanks for the link. I tied up my leg and have been going about .. or should I say limping about.. my usual stuff with it tied and I definitely think its getting better. As of tonight I can walk properly very very slowly. Anything faster than a turtle I am still scared to actually walk properly. Hopefully i can get back to mild to ok tennis movement by monday. I can't wait to get back on court. I never even thought twice last time I had a slice of pizza or something.. and now I had a bagel with cream chesse for breakfast this morning and then almost 4 slices of pizza for dinner.. and just the thought of no real physical activity for the next few days makes me sick.

Glad to hear that you've got it stabilized.  Interestingly, I did some significant damage last weekend myself - I got huge blisters on my feet when hiking (Buckeye can vouch, he saw them last night).  I hit a little last night, and while I've now got the blisters covered properly so that there's no more chafing, it feels like I have a really deep bruise on each heel, so tennis is pretty painful.  Too bad I have a tournament this coming weekend - it will be an exercise in pain management.  I'm also in your boat - can't get any real exercise, and I'm thinking that most of what I eat is going to stick...argh....
Good luck on the court is nice to have, but it's usually extraneous when playing against Baker.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
Pawan's Tennis Journal
« Reply #209 on: July 19, 2007, 08:45:44 AM »
Oh and in other news, I bought this book, Inner Tennis by Gallwey - its supposed to be 'the practical successor to Gallwey's The inner Game of Tennis"
Our library had  a sale going on and when we got there it was almost over so they were selling everything half price - so this book cost me a grand total of 12.5 cents. That's right. It''s much more indepth than the Inner Game of Tennis, so now I won't bother buying Inner Game of Tennis as I have already read that and this book covers all that plus more in more depth.
Just thought I'd share the info.

Maybe I'll take a leaf out of Dallas's book and type out some of the newer ideas that might not have been present in the Inner Game of Tennis which most of you have read (I am assuming not many have read this one before since I have never seen it on any Tennis Book Lists).

Inner Game of Tennis is my favorite tennis book that I have ever read!  I want to hear about this new book that you acquired for such a great price!    And, good luck with getting back onto the court!   :)

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
Pawan's Tennis Journal
« Reply #210 on: July 22, 2007, 11:06:02 PM »
I'm going to go hit tommorrow morning, I guess that's today in another 6 hours. Hopefully I'll be able to put enough pressure on my left foot to drive balls and serves through. Not to mention move on my toes which still is a little painful.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
Pawan's Tennis Journal
« Reply #211 on: July 23, 2007, 08:09:23 AM »
I'm going to go hit tommorrow morning, I guess that's today in another 6 hours. Hopefully I'll be able to put enough pressure on my left foot to drive balls and serves through. Not to mention move on my toes which still is a little painful.

Good luck with getting back out, hopefully it is feeling better!   :)

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
Pawan's Tennis Journal
« Reply #212 on: July 23, 2007, 08:16:21 AM »

It's never good when the wheels are going flat. I can attest to that having had bad wheels for various reasons for about 6 years. :(

An ambition fulfilled

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
Pawan's Tennis Journal
« Reply #213 on: July 23, 2007, 01:03:34 PM »

It's never good when the wheels are going flat. I can attest to that having had bad wheels for various reasons for about 6 years. :(

That's a long time.. long time.  :( nothing you can do to fix it Dmast?

Well, today was a noplay, thanks to the nonstop rain. I woke up and it was drizzling so I called my friend and went back to sleep, this was at like 545. I woke up again at 12 and it was pouring. So.. wednesday next hope.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
Pawan's Tennis Journal
« Reply #214 on: July 24, 2007, 08:14:19 AM »
Ok so I played this morning. Nothing too intense but decent tennis for like an hour and a half. We played two sets.
I wish my ankle would heal completely soon, there's still enough pain/discomfort to mess up my whole game. My serve was only sometimes close to what it was as I can't put too much pressure on my front foot on the forward movement. My forehand is nothing like what it was since my whole footwork is gone and again, I can't move forward onto my left foot. My backhand's the only thing that somehow benefitted from this injury and I might have learned a thing or two. As you can see from my previous complaints about not being able to go forward onto my left foot - I obviously go into most of my shots and hence my only source of power. This is something I realized I never do on my backhand since my left foot (the back foot in the backhand case) stays grounded and theres not too much pressure on my right/.forward foot either. Well now that i am trying to avoid any pressure on the left, I moved into my backhand shots as well so many shots I hit through and my body went through the ball all onto the right foot. And boy were my backhands good now (as long as I got into proper position for them). So hey, something positive and something to learn from every situation. I won both sets 6-4 6-3 surprisingly, I was able to crack returns staying firmly grounded. And believe it or not, I actually serve and volleyd more to get points off the pressure moment and shorten points as to not use my left foot.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
Pawan's Tennis Journal
« Reply #215 on: July 24, 2007, 08:35:30 AM »
Ok so I played this morning. Nothing too intense but decent tennis for like an hour and a half. We played two sets.
I wish my ankle would heal completely soon, there's still enough pain/discomfort to mess up my whole game. My serve was only sometimes close to what it was as I can't put too much pressure on my front foot on the forward movement. My forehand is nothing like what it was since my whole footwork is gone and again, I can't move forward onto my left foot. My backhand's the only thing that somehow benefitted from this injury and I might have learned a thing or two. As you can see from my previous complaints about not being able to go forward onto my left foot - I obviously go into most of my shots and hence my only source of power. This is something I realized I never do on my backhand since my left foot (the back foot in the backhand case) stays grounded and theres not too much pressure on my right/.forward foot either. Well now that i am trying to avoid any pressure on the left, I moved into my backhand shots as well so many shots I hit through and my body went through the ball all onto the right foot. And boy were my backhands good now (as long as I got into proper position for them). So hey, something positive and something to learn from every situation. I won both sets 6-4 6-3 surprisingly, I was able to crack returns staying firmly grounded. And believe it or not, I actually serve and volleyd more to get points off the pressure moment and shorten points as to not use my left foot.

Wow, it sucks that there is still soreness but impressive that you were able to play through it.  Sweet news on what you learned about your BH and from now on, you will always remember how to hit the BH better because you learned a key while you were injured.   :)

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
Pawan's Tennis Journal
« Reply #216 on: July 24, 2007, 09:25:45 AM »

It's very common for people with one handed backhands to "sit down" or transfer their weight to the back foot as they swing though. Mostly because they are trying to get that upswing to get topspin. I'm fighting it all the time.
Of course this assumes you hit backhands one handed. ||-|

An ambition fulfilled

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
Pawan's Tennis Journal
« Reply #217 on: July 26, 2007, 09:09:03 PM »

It's very common for people with one handed backhands to "sit down" or transfer their weight to the back foot as they swing though. Mostly because they are trying to get that upswing to get topspin. I'm fighting it all the time.
Of course this assumes you hit backhands one handed. ||-|

Yeah. i guess I understand that better now, you could have drilled that into me before and it might not have made much of a difference. I think I need to increase my upswing a little now because now that I am driving through, I feel I am hitting it very flat and it rarely passes more than a foot or so over the net.. which is good and makes for sweet shots and winners but its not good for consistency is it? Especially when I am say reaching for the ball and running to get it.

Anyway played quite a bit today. My ankle felt almost perfect. The only times I felt any discomfort was when I had to run a lot, as in chasing a dropshot from way behind or something like that. And he did do that a lot since his volleys have gotten really good. I am impressed with his volleys, and am finding it harder to get past him at the net. Of course his serve is still as inconsistent as before so in a way I feel I am almost relying on that.. not good. And pressure moments I feel always get to him.. today being a perfect example.
Played there sets.. it was slightly more than 2 hours and it felt good although I am now really really tired - I am pulling shadow shelves at my work for the next few days, today was teh first. For those who are unfamiliar with that term, basically when you go to the supermarket and alll the shleves are organized and have labels and the top most shelf is all messy.. well thats the shadow shelf, for all the extras. So becuase of some inventory count or something like that, I have to pull down all the shadow shelves and put them to the shelf and make it clean. So since I am not that tall, i used two milk crates each about a foot and a half high, to step on and step off. Stepping on and off for 7 hours.. my thighs are sore. And then my serves needed to use my legs all the more.
Scoreline: 6-4 6-0 7-5.
The first and last set I had to fight from 2-4 down. he should have won the third set (like 10 set points easily he had) and I think thats' one of his real weaknesses, once he gets down like not even scorewise, but momentum wise, he doesn't play normal anymore. I mean he still cares and plays well but you can see it in his movement, you can see it in his face that he's clearly vulnerable. And I am not one to let go of that chance, I guess some credit to me for being able to hold out on all the set points. The second set I have no idea what happened, it was one of those times that his serve just wouldn't go in. Both our second serves are really solid but his really goes through patches. Theres always a few games in a match where he has double faults over and over agian.
My forehand was solid as usual, backhand getting better and better and at times made my forehand look crappy. Of course more than its share of errors but I feel my not-yet-perfect ankle might have something to do with it. I served pretty well and took almost right where I had left it, I could fire it up right from the first game. Had like 7 or 8 double faults but again.. I am not concerned.
I feel my return of serve has deteriorated a little, I don't know why. Last week I felt confident every return and took them right off the baseline and I felt good. Today and yesterday I felt a little .. I don't know scared? I moved back a foot or more from the baseline and was tentative with them, which doesn't help with his volleying.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
Pawan's Tennis Journal
« Reply #218 on: July 26, 2007, 09:22:18 PM »
Confidence is a funny thing. It's not something that you can cage, or pin down. You either have it, or you don't.
I remember reading a story in Tennis Magazine about 15 or so years ago about a young junior who was playing in a tournament. He had dominated his age group and was in the final of this tournament. He was up 6-1, 5-0 and just collapsed. He ended up losing the match the tournament and never won another match. At least that's what my memory tells me. maybe he won a match, but for all intents and purposes his tennis career was finished.
How a guy can be that good, and then that bad is about belief in himself. My belief in myself fluctuates constantly. There are times when, after a couple weeks of not playing, I ask myself if I can even play. Othertimes I feel confident and I'm striking the ball with comfort and ease and other times I feel like I'm stuck in mud and I'm late on everything.
Maybe there's something to that who biorhythm thing after all. :whistle:

An ambition fulfilled

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
Pawan's Tennis Journal
« Reply #219 on: July 27, 2007, 09:12:41 AM »
Great to here that the ankle felt good!   :)  :H      Confidence is tricky because you get it from repeated successful attempts and yet it helps to have confidence to be able to be able to build it.