Author Topic: Pawan's Tennis Journal  (Read 66651 times)

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
Re: Pawan's Tennis Journal
« Reply #280 on: September 25, 2007, 01:59:38 PM »
new avi?

This one you're considering? Yeah, cool, go for it. kittens will love it  :whistle:

Or, is it 2 avi's that he is trying to choose which one??  Either way, it is cool so go for it!   :cool:

no its one. I wonder if i can get in some text like #1 tennis players and chokers!
I am not particularly liking it.. its good but not like wow i want that sorta thing .. I just wanted somethign different and I had to postpone studying so i put together what I could. i still wan't something different.. its gotta be different.. like my avi right now.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #281 on: September 25, 2007, 02:50:19 PM »
new avi?

This one you're considering? Yeah, cool, go for it. kittens will love it  :whistle:

Or, is it 2 avi's that he is trying to choose which one??  Either way, it is cool so go for it!   :cool:

no its one. I wonder if i can get in some text like #1 tennis players and chokers!
I am not particularly liking it.. its good but not like wow i want that sorta thing .. I just wanted somethign different and I had to postpone studying so i put together what I could. i still wan't something different.. its gotta be different.. like my avi right now.

You can put personal text under your avi like I have done to mine. 

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #282 on: October 03, 2007, 02:56:16 PM »
So I didn't even write about the last time I played. I feel kinda bad cuz I am not able to read other's journals either and.. I don't know why. i still spend quite some time on here reading and waiting for people to say something, not too much of my input.
I played last friday, two sets 5-7 6-2.  Again, when my friend's serve is on it really is hard to return those serves, forget about breaking him. But the good thing is usually once I get his serve back the point is pretty even. So.. I should watch some of those Fed/Roddick matches again. Second set my serve clicked and it was time to roll.
I hope I can play again this weekend.

My schedule is getting busier and busier. I really wish we were following the 28 hour/day schedule  :rofl_2: I am not kidding, for those of you who don't know about the concept check this out: http://www.dbeat.com/28/
I am starting work on the project I mentioned earlier starting tommorrow. So there goes about 15 hours a week. And then my classes are actually getting harder and I am having to actually do work (what a novel concept!). So.. you know, I am kinda screwed. But you know, I knew this was coming and I wanted this so I'll tough it out.. we all know tough times never last but tough people do  :whistle:
Still. Kinda sucks when you have less than 10 hours of sleep in over 4 nights. I have actually developed this system of quasi-sleep at night. I don't go to bed, rather I just sit and consciously relax in a meditating posture and I don't expect to sleep, I just relax my eyes and try to clear my thoughts.. and before you know it, you automatically wake up in 3-4 hours and you are refreshed. First time this happened I was really surprised, I took a break from my studies for "5 minutes" and just relaxed my eyes but I was still thinking about what I was doing.. .and then i woke up and thought it was only 5 minutes, I felt fresh and awake but when I looked at my clock I realized I was gone for 3 and a half hours. So I repeated it a few times and it really is a great feeling. A lot more refreshing than say going to bed and sleeping 6 hours in typical fashion and still feeling crappy in the morning. Of course it can't replace a nice 12 hour sleep or stop me from getting drowsy later in the day but it seems like a pretty efficient method of consciously reaping the benefits of a longer sleep in a compressed amount of time. 

So yeah, hoping for some tennis this weekend. Also my overgrips came by mail yesterday but the strings still haven't come. they said 1 month from now should be a good guess.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #283 on: October 03, 2007, 03:30:27 PM »
So I didn't even write about the last time I played. I feel kinda bad cuz I am not able to read other's journals either and.. I don't know why. i still spend quite some time on here reading and waiting for people to say something, not too much of my input.
I played last friday, two sets 5-7 6-2.  Again, when my friend's serve is on it really is hard to return those serves, forget about breaking him. But the good thing is usually once I get his serve back the point is pretty even. So.. I should watch some of those Fed/Roddick matches again. Second set my serve clicked and it was time to roll.
I hope I can play again this weekend.

My schedule is getting busier and busier. I really wish we were following the 28 hour/day schedule  :rofl_2: I am not kidding, for those of you who don't know about the concept check this out: http://www.dbeat.com/28/
I am starting work on the project I mentioned earlier starting tommorrow. So there goes about 15 hours a week. And then my classes are actually getting harder and I am having to actually do work (what a novel concept!). So.. you know, I am kinda screwed. But you know, I knew this was coming and I wanted this so I'll tough it out.. we all know tough times never last but tough people do  :whistle:
Still. Kinda sucks when you have less than 10 hours of sleep in over 4 nights. I have actually developed this system of quasi-sleep at night. I don't go to bed, rather I just sit and consciously relax in a meditating posture and I don't expect to sleep, I just relax my eyes and try to clear my thoughts.. and before you know it, you automatically wake up in 3-4 hours and you are refreshed. First time this happened I was really surprised, I took a break from my studies for "5 minutes" and just relaxed my eyes but I was still thinking about what I was doing.. .and then i woke up and thought it was only 5 minutes, I felt fresh and awake but when I looked at my clock I realized I was gone for 3 and a half hours. So I repeated it a few times and it really is a great feeling. A lot more refreshing than say going to bed and sleeping 6 hours in typical fashion and still feeling crappy in the morning. Of course it can't replace a nice 12 hour sleep or stop me from getting drowsy later in the day but it seems like a pretty efficient method of consciously reaping the benefits of a longer sleep in a compressed amount of time. 

So yeah, hoping for some tennis this weekend. Also my overgrips came by mail yesterday but the strings still haven't come. they said 1 month from now should be a good guess.

....and everyone in High School can't wait for it to end so they can really start living. :rofl_2:

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #284 on: October 03, 2007, 04:03:48 PM »
I am a bit skeptical of your sleeping habits or lack of!  The body needs to lie down so all the body parts can take a break for a while.  Try to get more sleep! 

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #285 on: October 06, 2007, 07:02:31 PM »
I am a bit skeptical of your sleeping habits or lack of!  The body needs to lie down so all the body parts can take a break for a while.  Try to get more sleep! 

Its called polyphasic sleep, here's wikipedia on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphasic

Ok so I played again today. I was so happy I got to play. We played 4 sets. I had way too much work but we kept playing one set after another until the light was inadequate, so I won't be playing tommorrow. But it was good. It took 2-3 games for my serve to come back and he capitalized on it, his serve was on from the start. Sets scores: 3-6 6-3 6-4 6-3
So he's been pretty consistently taking the first set off me now (took him 4 summers  :whistle:). And the thing is his serve is too fast. I know.. kinda lame excuse but I really have a lot of trouble returning untill I fully get into a proper groove, which takes a long time. In fact it wasn't until halfway through the 3rd set that I started slicing returns back and actually getting it in. Other thing was he has been playing way too much serve/volley tennis, pretty much everypoint. We sorta got into an argument (i don't believe it but we did about..) on the Sampras better than Federer thing. So.. yeah. He's a big Sampras fan (at least he admits Federer is also good) and he too goes for this whole weak era business so we had a little argument and it turned in the end to us challenging each other to win sorta to prove if Sampras or Federer was better - with him being the Sampras representative. It was funny. But annoying at the same time cuz the match was such.. i dunno, bs. His serves are crazy good and he got something like 7 aces today and I am not even that bad a returner. And my serve was really good for the most part and I got plenty of service winners. So there really was very little real tennis as in groundstrokes. I had a few passing shots and I did have some nice backhands but very very little. And thats the part of the game I want to wrok on, that I want to be "my game". And today for the most part I was most pressured into getting my serve in and getting it hard cuz I found myself having less and less confidence on relying on my groundstrokes. Cuz I had to hold serve cuz its hard to break him. I challenged him to win a few points from the baseline cuz, and his argument in his defense (and thus Sampras's) was that you don't need a ground game and at the same time he said he could play from the baseline. I think him and myself to a certain extent are weak from the baseline because of better serves and not so good returns. And I want to build my game on the baseline, I am effective enough at the net. I don't think myself or he can actually beat a pusher or a decent baseliner from the baseline. We'd have to resort to serve and volleying or going for more than we might want to or something drastic. That's not the position I want to be in.
I actually choked, I saw it happening and felt it coming and I choked. serving at 2-3 30-30 in the third set, I felt it coming and I doublefaulted and then failed to hit an easy easy forehand the next point and lost the game. And then I found my returns, sliced everything back basically.. and broke him twice to take the set. So what I mean is basically I focused all on my serve and my serve lived up to it and I won because of that. I feel insecure about my groundstrokes and seeing how I haven't played often, I am probably in no shape to run down more than a few groundies.
so serve and volleying is effective, especially when done right (if he had done it better he would have won at least one mroe set) but its really annoying for someone who wants to get some real tennis in. Sad fact is even I serve volleyed more and more because of my insecurity. So .. whatever.
Next week hopefully is jsut as nice and I get to play, after my exams it should be refreshing. 

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #286 on: October 08, 2007, 01:24:37 PM »
Good to see that you got out to play!  It seems polyphasic sleep is used by like NASA and the Military in extended crisis situations.  I would hope that you could get a more normally accepted amount of sleep but whatever.......good luck either way!   :)

Offline FreeBird

• Tennis God
« Reply #287 on: October 08, 2007, 01:46:18 PM »

Its called polyphasic sleep, here's wikipedia on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphasic

Pawan,
     I tried going to polyphasic sleep right after our daughter was born, about a year ago.  It was interesting to try, and I've read a couple other accounts of people who were able to "break through" and do it, and it seems really cool.  But, I lack the discipline to force myself to get up after 20 minutes, when I'm really tired.  I was never able to make the switch.  So are you doing polyphasic now?  If so, what is your basic sleep schedule?  I'm still fascinated by the idea, and all the extra "available" hours it generates.
Good luck on the court is nice to have, but it's usually extraneous when playing against Baker.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #288 on: October 13, 2007, 06:58:24 PM »

Pawan,
     I tried going to polyphasic sleep right after our daughter was born, about a year ago.  It was interesting to try, and I've read a couple other accounts of people who were able to "break through" and do it, and it seems really cool.  But, I lack the discipline to force myself to get up after 20 minutes, when I'm really tired.  I was never able to make the switch.  So are you doing polyphasic now?  If so, what is your basic sleep schedule?  I'm still fascinated by the idea, and all the extra "available" hours it generates.

I think it helps if you are naturally sorta used to running without that much sleep, cuz the lack of sleep does get to you. I have basically been sleeping like 2-4 hours a night and then just rest my eyes and relax a few times a day for about 10-20 minutes. And then one night (like yesternight for example) in like 5-6 days I just sleep like crazy (12 hours isn't that crazy... not even close to what  Ican pull off over summer).

Ok so someone needs to teach me how to play tennis.
Any takers?

I played with my friend today, 3 sets. Scoreline: 6-1 1-6 6-4.
I found my serve very well and his serve wasn't fully on. and when my serves are going the way I like I do get a lot of free points cuz I love being able to place it exactly where I like, so I cruised through the first set. And then second set it was a complete reversal (as the scores suggest). His serve found its mark and his serve is just ridiculously fast. Like I can't tell speeds but he has this friend who was clocked in over a 100 or something and my friend can cleaerly outspeed him. So I have very little reaction time, especially on my backhand which I always take late and it goes way way to my left. I hit 4 balls over the fence today, ALL of them on return of serves. I couldn't get a handle on my slice returns either  Iwas disappointed. And so basically after that second set (I was fine with the second set, yeah my serve let me down but I could handle it) but before the first set start I just got really really frustrated.
I brought this up last time but I hate how he serve/volleys every single point. And basically he's at the net all the time. He definitely isn't like amazing at it since afterall I do win most of the times but its annoying as anything. I can't get any rythem and just because he's up there (and this is my fault of course and his advantage for this gamestyle) I miss all my forehands backhands. So its really good for him and I might have been a little more frustrated even off court later talking to him so I feel bad. But just the fact that I don't get to hit more than one or two groundies per game because either 1) I can't return his serve 2) he can't return my serve 3) He misses a volley or 4) he volleys and wins the point. So you see here besides me not returning his serve, everything else is "his fault". Of course its not his fault cuz but I think you know what I mean. Someone really needs to teach me how to return that serve. And return it with control and depth cuz anything less - anything floating back anywhere around the center of court is prey to volleys. so basically from the last game in the second set and all through third set I decided to just kill every return, swing and swing hard - cuz either way I am not getting any block returns back and he volleys them all. I might as well just swing at it - and it worked, whenever I returned like that and it went in (which it did quite often) he couldn't volley it back.
So I know its part of his game doing this to me but I am really frustrated that I "can't" (more appropriate would be I haven't) hit good forehands and backhands. And my serve let me down in the second set I don't know why - surprising since I usually am the one who takes a set to "Warm up" my serve and then its good, but over the past month or more I think now I have found my serve right from the start and then there's no reason for it to go down during a match, but today it did.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 06:59:37 PM by pawan89 »

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #289 on: October 14, 2007, 05:56:35 PM »
I got to play again. I played in jeans today. It was kinda cold and I don't have any good sweatpants but mianly I guessed today would be repeat of yesterday and I wouldn't have to move again and it'd be a serve fest. Well I wasn't too off my prediction although it was a lot better than yester. Scoreline: 6-1 6-2 7-5.

I definitely returned a lot better (well seeing how I didn't return his serves yesterday, just returning htem is a big thing for me). His serve was good enough I think the first two sets and third set he turned it up a notch so I had more difficulty but I still returned a lot more. Which means he also got a lot more volleys and a lot of good ones at that. As cliched as this sounds, you just have to watch the ball and let the body do the tennis. I did just that and it worked very well.
His serve is still too good. Last set he was down like 15-40 a lot of games, and yet I couldn't convert cuz he'd dig his way out the hole with yet another huge serve. It wasn't untill he was serving at 5-6 that I finally broke him, even that I think it was after deuce even though I had a 0-40 lead. So yeah I guess some credit to my return for getting myself a few breakpoints but his serve is way too good.
I found my serve pretty well, I had like 3 double faults I think the whole match, all in the second set, and 2 of them in one game. I don't think I faced too many breakpoints (maybe like 3?) and I was broken just once in the second set. So you can say the second set was my worst set. Third set I was really physically tired, thats like the first time that I remember being like that. my thighs were stiff and overall I was kinda tired so on all my serves I just got the ball over thats it, no pace nothing - only a few times to close out a game I served it for real. And the whole last set I think mostly I won 40-0 or 40-15 so my friend can do better on returns.

So I am happier. I chased down a lot of his volleys even though I knew I couldn't get them just cuz I have a chance of actually hitting a forehand or backhand - something thats becoming very rare lately. So I took every opportunity to run and try to get everything. My forehand was pretty crappy, he stayed back more on my service games and my forehand were still crap, too many hit way out and stuff like that. But I am still satisfied. It'll get back in form if I actually use it more often.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #290 on: October 14, 2007, 08:05:51 PM »
Great to see that your playing some Dr. Pawan!  I have been struggling somewhat with my game right now and that is how tennis goes.........it definitely has its ups and downs................its all about momentum and confidence...................it sure would be nice to have those 2 things continuously!  Anyway, how is school going................obviously busy but what else? 

Offline ERHS

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #291 on: October 15, 2007, 03:12:51 PM »
Hey Pawan, just hollered in to check. Any chicks yet?

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #292 on: October 15, 2007, 03:16:08 PM »
Hey Pawan, just hollered in to check. Any chicks yet?

I saw you logged in and was wondering if you would post?  Where you been fool? 

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #293 on: October 16, 2007, 07:14:54 AM »
Hey P, do you practice much or mostly play sets?  For me, it takes a ratio of about 2 practice sessions to each competitve session to show any improvement at all. 
Some of the factors that are key for me in either session:
1.  Vision and computation.  Seeing the ball and solving the movement equation for hitting the next shot.
2.  Movement.  Actually moving to the ball correctly.
3.  Relaxation.  Feeling a general looseness (nice word) on all strokes.
4.  Confidence.  Knowing I've put the practice time in and will be able to perform a stroke at a certain level.  The key here is realistic expectations.
5.  Overall wellness.  Am I well rested and fed?  Are there other distractions in my life?  Do I feel "strong"?

The first 2 points are related to the last.  I am rarely able to play my best coming off a long night.  Visually and mentally I am out of focus and therefore find myself out of position.  From there it's all down hill.  If all is well, then it's time to "let the dogs out!" and have some fun!

Side note-
I really like the 28 hour day scenario!!!  Very interesting.
I also think the polyphasic sleep theory has some merit.  I experimented with something similar when I was in the military and found that  I functioned best with about 4 hours sleep.  I only slept when I was tired and the remaider of my "day" was very productive.

Good luck with your project, classes, and tennis!
CONK da ball!!!

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #294 on: October 20, 2007, 10:38:30 AM »
Woo mr.truck is in favour of the 28 hour day - we'll take over the world eventually and convert them... one day we will! I mostly play sets. And I think I should explain this. Early on we used to practice and rarely play sets, or actually we used to practice for an hour and a half or two and just play one set. Well what we found was we play much much better in practice - obviously since you are relaxed, nothing at stake natural cuz it doesn't matter. So we decided to play more sets. And we still practiced before the sets but the practice got shorter and shorter - reason for that being we played high school tennis, and in highschool you basically go from a whole day of school to a tennis match with only 10 minutes of tennis warmup allowed. And I was a very slow starter, I usually wouldn't get into comfort zone halfway through the second set which is bad news and one of the main reasons I did so bad in highschool (also the fact that I sucked..). So ultimately we are right now at a 15-30 minute warmup/practice and play sets cuz ultimately you gotta be able to produce when it comes to matches. And since we play so many sets, the sets sorta became like practice and allthough we play now like say X sets per month, only about half or less of them are seroius and the rest are pretty much like practice sets. But that limits growth, you need repitition and practice and stuff like that to get better. We did start bringing hoppers and alternated each day with pracitce and sets but it soon went downhill. so its like that. I am in favour of good practice sessions like 2 or 3 of them for every 1 match I play. I think its important. But .. I guess we need to step up the seriousness level and take that extra inconvenience and maybe overcome the lack of motivation to practice.
And now that I only get to play weekly, i want to get playing you know what I mean? I want a match, not work on my strokes which'll again suffer from the long break (especially with winter coming up).
Next summer. 

we played 4 sets today. I won them all, 6-3 6-1 6-1 7-5. I played really.. how do I describe this. I didn't try today. I tried to just go out there and enjoy, I didn't care if i won or not or how I was playing, I wasn't serious. So naturally I was really relaxed, loose and comfortable. So in a way I played much better cuz I wasn't trying, my groundies were more free flowing and smooth cuz I wasn't trying to do anythign with them besides hit them where I want. So in a way I think I cheated today cuz I played better by not trying wheras my opponent was clearly playing seriously and his poor play impacted him more and it could have made him play worse or frustrated etc.
I mentioned this to Dmast and I stuck to it - I didn't heat up my shoulder at all except for one game at the very end of the fourth set. My shoulder feels like it hasn't done one thing. I just used proper form but used no arm strength at all and just placed my serves in nicely - no power whatsoever. I probably got like 90% or more "first serves" like this in.
He actually stayed back on my serve so we got to play real tennis, as in forehands and backhands instead of another servefest. This is kinda surprising because my serve today he could have outright destroyed and come to the net and instead he returned them and played from the baseline. Naturally he returned a lot more because of my serve, but still missed a lot (and the scoreline speaks for itself, he could have and should have broken me every single game and forced me to fire my serve up), so I actually don't consider it a good returning day for him.
He didn't get his serve going until the fourth set. And I have mentioned this to him plenty of times, his serve is his main game. Anything less than that nice serve of his.. the scoreline speaks for itself. He started getting them in in the fourth set and I had mroe trouble returning and so I couldn't break him until 6-5. I returnd relatively poorly I think - relative to the quality of his serves last two three times we played and the percentage i was able to get back. But then again the ones I did return I think I returned better, because I am now used to much better serves from him and today wasn't anywhere close to it. He did force me to return a lot lot lot of backahands and that was harder.
The ground game was pretty average. I had some nice forehands and backhands and a few that I missed that I shouldn't have. Seeing how I haven't hit more than 5 fh/bh per match in ages (exageration alert) I think this is allright. I am really liking my backhand groundies. I missed a few today by hitting them all on the top edge of the frame, I am happy that at least I was consistent with this error and its just a slight adjustment that I need to figure out. I am trying to drive my backhands a little more, a little more depth and maybe more 'zip'. It has to penetrate like my forehand does. A few times today I consciouly tried to maintain depth so I had a few errors like that. Its allright.

I am satisfied. I hope he writes his side of the story.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #295 on: October 20, 2007, 04:22:54 PM »
I agree that when the hitting frequency drops to once a week you may as well just play and have fun.  When you average over 3 times a week it's great to get some practice in.  Have you tried game based practice?  Make your drills competitive and they become almost as intense as playing actual sets.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #296 on: October 21, 2007, 05:00:03 PM »
game based practise? Hmm.. never thought about that. what about practice based games.. I guess thats what i do now? I should definitely practice more. thanks.

i always post looooooong entries. today i'll leave it short. i played about 2.5 hours, scoreline 6-1 7-5 7-6(2). I'll resist any urge to go into further details. It should suffice to mention that I played satisfactorily, given my approach to playing today.

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #297 on: October 21, 2007, 05:11:13 PM »
Nice stuff pawan. I think drills and general practice can be pretty good for improving game, possibly better than a match, because you're concentrating on improving, not winning. I should try it some day, all I seem to do is matches these days. The drills on T4U look pretty useful, perhaps give those a try?

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #298 on: October 28, 2007, 09:08:25 AM »
Rain like crazy yesterday. And its getting colder. Didn't think I'd play this weekend but we did for an hour and half this morning. Didn't want to spend too much energy as we both have lots of work to do today. I won first set 6-4 and would have served second set at 2-1 but we decided to play a 10point tiebreaker. He won 6 straight points to take it 10-5.
Good hitting.

I must also say I am enjoying my off-late no worry, just relaxed and free flowing and physically non exhausting but fluid tennis. So maybe this has made me play better as it often does when you take a deep breath and adjust your perspective or I am just not taking my errors as seriously cuz you don't see me complaining. Thanks to buckeye and others for bringing me back to enjoying tennis. We'll worry about improvement next summer and carefully.. like cocentrate for only 5 days of the week. Or at least make sure every now and then I just take a deep breath and play casually.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 09:46:13 AM by pawan89 »

Offline mdshahid20

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #299 on: October 28, 2007, 11:03:40 AM »
idk whenever I try to play casually, I just play ridiculously lazy and feel lke I've gone back 3 years in terms of my tennis development. and the not taking errors seriously / complaining is an idea i'm trying out too. Actually i take my errors seriously but the lack of complaining or showing emotion (a la sampras/ federer and many other greats)  keeps the opponent guessing about ur state of mind. i do agree with monster about the practice and we should definitely try it out over the summer. Well i'm going to keep my mouth shut about the number of aces i got today  :whistle: lol and go back to studying.