Author Topic: Pawan's Tennis Journal  (Read 60627 times)

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
Re: Pawan's Tennis Journal
« Reply #360 on: February 22, 2008, 01:36:39 PM »
the thing about the luxillon strings are- they last forever but they're dead strings. it would have been sweet if it was luxillon with some other type of string

yeah he probably threw on the cheapest nylon strings he could find. oh well... untill I get used to the racquet those should be good enough. if they get too dead or whatever we'll see. in a way I am sorta hoping they'd lose a little tension since I have a feeling 58 might be a little high. I mean considering that i have gone down from 63 to 58 on my current racquets to get my shots a little more comfort and depth, these racquets are supposed to be much less powerful and we'l have to see if I can generate similar racquet head speed.

Offline mdshahid20

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #361 on: February 22, 2008, 01:40:46 PM »
btw my strings broke (i was hitting the ball against my house) so i'm pumped to try out the new ones. i was gonna go today to get them replaced but it snowed so idk if my dad wants to drive to sports authority.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #362 on: February 22, 2008, 02:59:25 PM »
btw my strings broke (i was hitting the ball against my house) so i'm pumped to try out the new ones. i was gonna go today to get them replaced but it snowed so idk if my dad wants to drive to sports authority.

if you can't just let me know, i can pick it up from you and get it strung, its on the way for me anyway.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #363 on: February 22, 2008, 04:03:58 PM »
Congrats on the new sticks Pawan!  Where did you get them?  How much?  What size head and more.................is that enough questions for ya?   :whistle:

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #364 on: February 22, 2008, 07:04:19 PM »
Congrats on the new sticks Pawan!  Where did you get them?  How much?  What size head and more.................is that enough questions for ya?   :whistle:

ebay, $80 per racquet including s/h. Ncode Nsix-one 95 sq. inch. 12.2 oz mass.. uh.. I don't know what else you want to know  ..-) I'll let you know how it is when I finally do get to hit with it  :)

Offline mdshahid20

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #365 on: February 22, 2008, 08:12:19 PM »
Sunday's supposed to be pretty good weather if the snow melts and the courts aren't too wet.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #366 on: February 22, 2008, 08:20:32 PM »

ebay, $80 per racquet including s/h. Ncode Nsix-one 95 sq. inch. 12.2 oz mass.. uh.. I don't know what else you want to know  ..-) I'll let you know how it is when I finally do get to hit with it  :)

Sweet!  Finally the grocery store money becomes usefull! 

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #367 on: February 24, 2008, 11:36:53 PM »

Sweet!  Finally the grocery store money becomes usefull! 

grocery store? you mean the civic gas money vs. a typical car gas money  :))

Anyway, I played today, 2 sets. I had to go up to my college so I was in jeans but I actually don't mind playing with jeans.
I played with my new racquets, and it was awesome! Totally sweet. I thought I made the adjustment pretty well, it really compliments my overall game I think. For the first half of the first set I was feeling really good and everything was fine but after that I was physically tired. A lot of this is obviously my fitness but through the second set I could really feel the added mass of the racquet. I always felt a second too slow on my groundstrokes and not being able to drive through with the same headspeed. Same with serves. I also had a few really off center serves - again I am assuming the added mass and the smaller head and me not watching the ball as well (or too used to my usual racquet) were factors.
Bottomline, I need to get fitter and actually work on building up my arms a little bit to avoid fatigue.

I had only one complaint. The ball was flying off my racquet. Like real deep, much deeper than I planned. This is supposed to be a racquet with not as much power and the strings are supposed to be strung at 58. It feels like they are strung at 50. I am really surprised at this. This was especially when I tried to get the ball back - not when I wanted to put something on the ball. When I did put something on the ball, it was the most amazing thing ever. But if I wanted to hit a low-pace safe ball, it always went out. even block backs and everything.

again, bottomline, the racquet's awesome and I loved it. I think with proper fitness and training I can really up my game pretty soon aided by the racquets. The added spin on serves and when I do actually drive through my groundstrokes is just awesome. 

So, in other news, I tried to watch some more of Andy Murray. And I don't know how often kicker, CT.. or even Alison reads this but let me tell you, I really do like him. He might be overshadowed by Gasquet, Baghdatis, Berdych for me but its only because he came on the scene later. I like him in the sense that his game is exactly what I like mine to be and what I think I am to a certain extent. I like staying back and to a certain extent running around and counter punching but at the same time I know I can go for the big shots when I want. I also like to keep varying pace. We don't get into too many rallies at such a level but I like to keep throwing in slow shallow shots, and then faster deep shots and then my favourite slices off both wings and drop shots. I also love the net - my net play seems to have deteriorated but that doesn't keep my from serve/volleying every now and then and going up to the net whenever I feel like I can (and then I end up dumping the approach shot or hitting it long.. ). And this is how I see Murray's game pretty much. He likes the back but its the variety that makes his game. And maybe he is a little too passive for his own good - and even there lies another similarity. I need to start going for bigger shots more often. I really value the return of serve as a weapon, lot of respect for people who can return serve. If I really had to chose, I'd chose a good serve and a great return game over an awesome serve and an ok return game. But he has the advantage I think of a two handed backhand - which in many ways I think is better for most purposes for that kinda game than a one handed backhand, but what can you do.. gotta have some style in your game  ;-()
It's just really fluid and loose. all court potential. variety. I like it.

So in some more news, I have some exams coming it up but I am really bored and don't feel like studying. So what I had initially expected - that I should have been spending less time on here but I'll end up spending more time on here - is exactly what's happening :)

So in some more news, I was looking at the mirror a few minutes ago. This is rare, I usually don't approach mirrors. But I think I notced that my last haircut seems a little unbalanced. I have more hair on my left than on the right. It feels awkward when I run my hands through my hair. Either way its really short and you can't tell the differnce but it feels a little awkward.

That's it. I'm out. Sleep.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #368 on: February 25, 2008, 11:30:31 AM »
You did work at a grocery store a while back right?   Nice one on the RIP for PONG!   :rofl_2:

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #369 on: March 01, 2008, 02:55:53 PM »
You did work at a grocery store a while back right?   Nice one on the RIP for PONG!   :rofl_2:

oh yeah, shoprite. I actually missed that, I got stronger that summer. for someone like me, lifting packs of 6 gallons of water, pickles and stuff like that above my head over and over again was quite a workout.

speaking of which, i am going to make a conscious effort to get stronger now.
I hit today again 2.5 hours with mdshahid. played 2 sets, and then hit/drills for more than an hour I think. I thought the sets were very close. I won 7-5 6-4 but  he could have closed it out 6-3 in that first set but I broke him. And I broke him at 4-4 in the second.
So same story, I am hitting pretty well, love my racuquets, just need to get stronger for serving. 2 sets of serving, espeically long games if need be is asking for too much at this point. my backhands are beatuiful. my forehands.. I don't know, unless I fully drive through the ball intentionally going for the winner or the approach shot, a lot of balls are going too deep (not a bad thing but its not necessarily intentional all the time) and out. Which I am still surprised at. I think that might change with different strings though. I get the feeling these strings aren't exactly strung at 58 and the strings aren't as stiff as the strings I am used to. They are a little springy.
So I need to get stronger.

And also, my volleys have deteriorated significantly. I think I have now established my solid ground game now and its time to start re-devloping my world class volleys. for the past almost 2 years plus, I have been trying to establish a sound ground game off both wings and my backhands only started clicking fully since this summer so I am satisfied now. I can start slowly working on improving things all over. Refining angles, deception on ground strokes.. overheads.. forcing short balls and finishing them etc etc. volleys for sure. a few extra mph on my serve wouldn't be bad either.

so overall, I'm happy.

Offline mdshahid20

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #370 on: March 01, 2008, 04:03:57 PM »

oh yeah, shoprite. I actually missed that, I got stronger that summer. for someone like me, lifting packs of 6 gallons of water, pickles and stuff like that above my head over and over again was quite a workout.

I hit today again 2.5 hours with mdshahid. played 2 sets, and then hit/drills for more than an hour I think. I thought the sets were very close. I won 7-5 6-4 but  he could have closed it out 6-3 in that first set but I broke him. And I broke him at 4-4 in the second.
So same story, I am hitting pretty well, love my racuquets, just need to get stronger for serving. 2 sets of serving, espeically long games if need be is asking for too much at this point. my backhands are beatuiful. my forehands.. I don't know, unless I fully drive through the ball intentionally going for the winner or the approach shot, a lot of balls are going too deep (not a bad thing but its not necessarily intentional all the time) and out. Which I am still surprised at. I think that might change with different strings though. I get the feeling these strings aren't exactly strung at 58 and the strings aren't as stiff as the strings I am used to. They are a little springy.

And also, my volleys have deteriorated significantly. I think I have now established my solid ground game now and its time to start re-devloping my world class volleys. for the past almost 2 years plus, I have been trying to establish a sound ground game off both wings and my backhands only started clicking fully since this summer so I am satisfied now. I can start slowly working on improving things all over. Refining angles, deception on ground strokes.. overheads.. forcing short balls and finishing them etc etc. volleys for sure. a few extra mph on my serve wouldn't be bad either.

so overall, I'm happy.

:)~
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 04:04:40 PM by mdshahid20 »

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #371 on: March 01, 2008, 05:27:16 PM »

so overall, I'm happy.

:)~

:)>>>>

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #372 on: March 15, 2008, 03:52:36 PM »
2 hours. began with an hour of just hitting and then 2 sets. I'm feeling really good, and I miss competetive tennis. I varied my serve more, instead of sticking to mostly kickers to the backhand for free points i went for far more slices out wide and down the T. my serve's feeling really good. i felt fluid off the ground and on serve from the start. same goes for my backhand and forehand, even though i am still hitting deeper than i feel - still have a sense of no-control on some of those forehands that always go in but deeper than i thought they would.
tired and sore but happy.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #373 on: March 15, 2008, 04:58:37 PM »
Deeper and still in the court is a good thing!  At least in singles.   ;-()

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #374 on: March 15, 2008, 05:15:09 PM »

even if it feels uncontrolably deep? I can still hit it short and angles when I want to but when I go for a "normal deep shot", it's been going in at least 2-3 feet more than what I want (I am bad at estimating but that might not be far off). I have no problem with it, as you said, deeper and still in court is never a problem - especially when I can pull off the short balls to throw off my opponents whenever I want.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #375 on: March 15, 2008, 05:28:00 PM »

even if it feels uncontrolably deep? I can still hit it short and angles when I want to but when I go for a "normal deep shot", it's been going in at least 2-3 feet more than what I want (I am bad at estimating but that might not be far off). I have no problem with it, as you said, deeper and still in court is never a problem - especially when I can pull off the short balls to throw off my opponents whenever I want.

Ideally you would like to feel comfortable with your shots but I think one of the hardest things in singles is to aggressively go for deep shots.............which is necessary to keep your opponent behind the baseline and make it harder for them to attack you! 

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #376 on: March 16, 2008, 02:15:54 PM »
It rained at night I think, and the courts were overall wet, no puddles or anything but wet. But my cousin was over and he wanted to play so we went out and hit for around 45 minutes before it started raining. It was a good hit.

So I have been thinking. I haven't really played competetive tennis in a while. Like for serious competetive and that's hurting me I think. In practice, in general you want to keep playing, you know what I mean, so you are not going to go for the lines and angles and such. So in general, like 75% of the times I am hitting back right back down the middle or the middle half of the court. And even in matches, since I like to rally and want a chance to play some points, I tend to go back to my opponent to keep the ball in play, especially because we are most likely only playing practice sets, nothing too serious about it.  Obviously you can't do this in matches. In sets and such, so even when I am say on the run or something and instead of going for a slight extra effort and going down the line or cross court it and putting a little extra, i am almost subconsciously getting the ball back into the middle half where my opponent would most likley wait and dominate from.
It doesn't become very noticeable usually because i can almost always count on the points being over in less than 3 shots and errors from myself or my opponent. but when someone can actually keep the ball in play and dictate without errors, i am in trouble since i am going to right where they want it. And as I said, it's not that I can't. I can very easily move well enough - as in practice rallying, I can keep moving continously and get to the ball anywhere and do whatever I want. It's just almost automatically, even when I am pushed a little, I'll get it and put it right back down the middle deep. And if someone can actually not  make errors, they could very easily make me run corner to corner. This is also a double sides bad thing because when I am going to go down the middle anyway - and as I said, this is all at a subconscious level almost - on the run, my body does just enough to reach the ball and push it back. There's no "ok get to it, get into a position to do this and this", instead it becomes more of a "oh look, the ball is going over there, reach it and hit it back" 

I need to start doing more with the ball in matches and dictate play more.  thanks to my cousin for this "epiphany".

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #377 on: March 23, 2008, 03:31:46 PM »
played 3 hours today. i also played racquetball for the first time with a friend on friday - and i found that a lot more tiring. a lot more tiring. because you alone can't dictate anything and its a lot more running around. well it was also my first time.
so i was a little sore today, i actually don't know why. i was out playing wall-ball with my friends till 2 in the morning friday night and even there my shoulders were hurting slightly everytime i tried to throw the ball with something on it. so i didn't go for my serves today. we played 3 sets, i won all three.

i'm happy. summer's almost here. i am feeling real good about all aspects of my game. i am confident in my basic baseline game and can counterpunch and defend my way out of trouble and into games. from here on its work entirely on my transition game and working on my attack. and fitness. :)

Offline Jamesdster

• Tennis God
« Reply #378 on: March 24, 2008, 10:47:44 AM »
played 3 hours today. i also played racquetball for the first time with a friend on friday - and i found that a lot more tiring. a lot more tiring. because you alone can't dictate anything and its a lot more running around. well it was also my first time.
so i was a little sore today, i actually don't know why. i was out playing wall-ball with my friends till 2 in the morning friday night and even there my shoulders were hurting slightly everytime i tried to throw the ball with something on it. so i didn't go for my serves today. we played 3 sets, i won all three.

i'm happy. summer's almost here. i am feeling real good about all aspects of my game. i am confident in my basic baseline game and can counterpunch and defend my way out of trouble and into games. from here on its work entirely on my transition game and working on my attack. and fitness. :)

You played racquetball?  SHAME ON YOU!  I was always told not to play it because it would mess up your tennis game with all the wristy action.  What's your opinion on that.
I was at this casino minding my own business, and this guy came up to me and said, "You're gonna have to move, you're blocking a fire exit." As though if there was a fire, I wasn't gonna run. If you're flammible and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit.  - Mitch Hedberg

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #379 on: March 24, 2008, 12:24:20 PM »
Racquetball is actually pretty cool!  There shouldn't be all that much running involved there because the small size of the racquetball court.   What is wall-ball?   :confused1: