Author Topic: Pawan's Tennis Journal  (Read 61623 times)

Offline mdshahid20

• Tennis Addict
Re: Pawan's Tennis Journal
« Reply #420 on: May 19, 2008, 02:29:09 PM »
yup

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #421 on: May 21, 2008, 08:16:06 AM »
Sweet!  You guys are getting back out to play.   Don't you guys hit more often than I am reading in these journals? 

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #422 on: May 21, 2008, 12:06:28 PM »
Sweet!  You guys are getting back out to play.   Don't you guys hit more often than I am reading in these journals? 

I am done with college a good month and a half earlier than md.. so no, we have only been playing as much as I have been entering into the journals. Why would I skip opportunities to write about how badly I beat mdshahid?  :)~  Besides, it's been raining here pretty much everyday since our last hit, kinda unfortunate.  :(

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #423 on: May 21, 2008, 01:40:04 PM »
Very unfortunate!   There will be sunny days my friend!   ;-()

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #424 on: May 25, 2008, 11:17:04 PM »
Played yesterday and today against mdshahid. I banged my knee pretty hard while working (fooling around while I was supposed to be working is more accurate) and was not comfortable in certain positions especially for my backhand yesterday but overall I played pretty well. Don't remember the set scores.. I think 6-2 7-6 yesterday and 6-2 today. we hit around a little more today but it was kinda weird. Both today and yesterday I have become really tired and lethargic very soon. I still want to play but I feel really listless. My fitness is still not back to where it should be but I think its more than that. I am tired of playing sets pretty much. I want to get in some good groundstrokes and hitting in. Like until now when it was mdshahid's tennis season and such and I was playing so infrequently, I was happy to play and just played and had fun. But now when I want to play seriously to improve my game and take it to another level .. the sets don't help. We don't get nearly as much tennis off the ground as I'd like. so I hope we can hit around a lot more and avoid sets until end of june.

Also, on a bit more technical and not so mental part of my game, I have been thinking a lot about my backhand. I feel like it can be much better than what it is now (obviously..) but I don't know what to do. Ok.. I'll take a step further and say I know what to do but doing it is another thing. This is going to be pretty long if I get into the details but pretty much.. I don't even know where to begin. I'll just say this much. I love hitting my backhand. Absolutely love it. It feels good. But its not the shot that my forehand is. If I were to stop tennis now and play 10 years later, I could still probably hit a forehand with ease in a few minutes but my backhand is dependent on a lot of things like the timing, proper footwork. Is this natural,especially for a one hander?? I can hit a forehand pretty much from whatever situation but I can't say the same of my backhand. Everything has to be pretty much perfect for me or I have to get myself in that perfect position.
I'll get into the details later after a few more days. Another thing is the follow through. A lot of times I feel like I have the proper follow through, I usually end up framing the ball. My normal backhands though don't have the kind of follow through that I imagine and aim at, they have more of a push through than a swing through. The really clean shots however are the ones that have the proper follow through. I am not making any sense here, as I said, one of these days I'll devote a post just for my backhand and I hope someone can shed some light.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 11:28:01 PM by pawan89 »

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #425 on: May 25, 2008, 11:23:37 PM »
Played yesterday and today against mdshahid. I banged my knee pretty hard while working (fooling around while I was supposed to be working is more accurate) and was not comfortable in certain positions especially for my backhand yesterday but overall I played pretty well. Don't remember the set scores.. I think 6-2 7-6 yesterday and 6-2 today. we hit around a little more today but it was kinda weird. Both today and yesterday I have become really tired and lethargic very soon. I still want to play but I feel really listless. My fitness is still not back to where it should be but I think its more than that. I am tired of playing sets pretty much. I want to get in some good groundstrokes and hitting in. Like until now when it was mdshahid's tennis season and such and I was playing so infrequently, I was happy to play and just played and had fun. But now when I want to play seriously to improve my game and take it to another level .. the sets don't help. We don't get nearly as much tennis off the ground as I'd like. so I hope we can hit around a lot more and avoid sets until end of june.

It's nice to have a healthy mixture of both practice and match play.  By the end of the winter season I am always itching for some general practice and hitting sessions! 

If your knee hurts or you are getting tired take a day or two off.  Don't go out and hurt anything worse!!!!
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #426 on: May 25, 2008, 11:30:13 PM »

It's nice to have a healthy mixture of both practice and match play.  By the end of the winter season I am always itching for some general practice and hitting sessions! 

If your knee hurts or you are getting tired take a day or two off.  Don't go out and hurt anything worse!!!!

Yeah, I think I need to just ease up mentally a bit and get some practice in before I start b***ing about stuff. My knee's ok, I didn't feel it today at all  :)

You have a one handed backhand too, can you relate to what I am trying to say at all or is that total nonsense to you?

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #427 on: May 25, 2008, 11:35:02 PM »
I have a one hander, but until the last few years I really just sliced the ball.  And now when I play doubles I really only hit a topspin groundie a few times a match.

But the backhand is a tougher shot for most than the forehand.  I think it is harder to generate power and spin with the one hander (never used a two-hander) than on the forehand side. 

The one handed backhand is a shot (like the rest) that you have to swing through to consistently get the shot you want.  If you are pushing the ball when you should be swinging through it will be tough to do a lot of things with the backhand. 

Any chance you can take a video and post it?
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #428 on: June 02, 2008, 09:38:44 PM »
I have a one hander, but until the last few years I really just sliced the ball.  And now when I play doubles I really only hit a topspin groundie a few times a match.

But the backhand is a tougher shot for most than the forehand.  I think it is harder to generate power and spin with the one hander (never used a two-hander) than on the forehand side. 

The one handed backhand is a shot (like the rest) that you have to swing through to consistently get the shot you want.  If you are pushing the ball when you should be swinging through it will be tough to do a lot of things with the backhand. 

Any chance you can take a video and post it?

I am dead serious about the video, I'll see if me and mdshahid can come up with a vid, that'd be awesome. Both our backhands are coming along real nicely though, very nicely. I am able to straight (down the line) almost perfectly all the time and my cross court is also progressing nicely, just need some depth on that crosscourt. I can still slice and that's still my reflex shot, as in most natural and comfortabel shot. When I step in and drive it, it feels perfect. When I fall back and swing at it, that's when.. you can see Gasquet do this, your shoulder does all the work and its not the best shot but it gets lot of topspin and drops deep (lot of air time though). But overall its improving.

I played saturday, sunday and today. I also have hit against the wall a few times before that. Saturday we played sets and I think we finally decided for real to stop playing sets so often and do more hitting. That's what we did yesterday and today and it was AWESOME. Let me repeat that: AWESOME. It feels great to be striking the ball so much and be able to devlop and focus on the basics of the game, the movement and all that for extended rallies. We played a set yesterday too but it was good, we got into more rallies and such.

Again, not much to say. I love hitting and I think a few weeks of actual hitting and not playing sets all the time will improve my game quite a bit. mdshahid hopefully'll also update his journal. Now that he's playing more all round, the matches are going to get a lot more interesting. No more winning 90% of points on service winners, double faults and errors. He's a lot more dangerous of an opponent when he plays his whole game and mixes it well with his really good volleys.
I am pretty excited for our matches and such now that he's playing well rounded. I don't know if I'll be winning sets almost all the time against him anymore, he's much much more challenging an opponent now and will only get better. I still think I have an edge over him for a few weeks to come but I'll have to output more and more of my game that I haven't needed to play out and then I'll have to get better as well. As of now, the one clear advantage I see I have in set/match play is my return of serve, that's about it, the rest is even and depeneds how we each can pull off our games.

I'll look into getting a video, after a week or two most likely.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #429 on: June 25, 2008, 10:44:56 PM »
I can't play doubles. For serious, I just can't. me and mdshahid played 2 sets against two of his team-mates and just like last time got destroyed something like 6-0 6-1. oh well, I am just not ever going to take a doubles match serously until my side can hold once or so every now and then and I start making in something called volleys.

I played with my freshly strung racquets today. Not sure I liked it, way too much.. balls just kept flying. Shots that I took by the service line to finsih - they finished into the back fencing. I don't like the fact that I need to adjust myself to the strings even though in a way they are similar to the ones before. I made the switch a few months back before which I used to string everything at 62ish and now I am sticking with 57-58 and its been fine, I guess I just need to get used to it a little bit. glad to have my racquet back though :)

Looking forward to some good tennis, good singles matches and hopefully against more players :)

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #430 on: June 26, 2008, 08:45:38 AM »
I can't play doubles. For serious, I just can't. me and mdshahid played 2 sets against two of his team-mates and just like last time got destroyed something like 6-0 6-1. oh well, I am just not ever going to take a doubles match serously until my side can hold once or so every now and then and I start making in something called volleys.

I played with my freshly strung racquets today. Not sure I liked it, way too much.. balls just kept flying. Shots that I took by the service line to finsih - they finished into the back fencing. I don't like the fact that I need to adjust myself to the strings even though in a way they are similar to the ones before. I made the switch a few months back before which I used to string everything at 62ish and now I am sticking with 57-58 and its been fine, I guess I just need to get used to it a little bit. glad to have my racquet back though :)

Looking forward to some good tennis, good singles matches and hopefully against more players :)

It's amazing how a little success can change your feelings, and how some discouragement can as well. I don't know why your experience was so bad, but it won't aways be so. You will gain an appreciation of doubles eventually. Everyone does.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #431 on: June 26, 2008, 09:19:35 AM »

It's amazing how a little success can change your feelings, and how some discouragement can as well. I don't know why your experience was so bad, but it won't aways be so. You will gain an appreciation of doubles eventually. Everyone does.

I like playing doubles. really I do, i just can't play it. the ball is one feet beside me near the net and I think 5 times if I should you know move and get it or let the other person get it.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #432 on: June 26, 2008, 02:52:58 PM »
In dubs the ball is always yours if you can reach it.   It pays to be aggressive.........with balance of course.  The only time you don't want to snag a shot is if you partner has a better shot at it.  The classic example is if you are going to have an off-balance stab at a BH and your partner is right behind you set up for an easy FH. 

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #433 on: July 02, 2008, 08:41:04 PM »
I haven't gotten to play nearly as much as previous summers :(

On the bright side I have been running and I even went to the weight room twice. Can you believe it? I hate lifting weights but I went.

Last two days I have gone out and hit with my brother. After previous summers where I felt like I pushed him too much or whatever and you konw, I'd rather he start tennis at 10 but with his own interest and his own motivation than me forcing him from the time he was 5. But he's been asking me to play with him and I am more than willing to oblige (I just try not to be too happy so he doesn't get the feeling that I am forcing him or I am making him play  :rofl_2: ). i have also insisted that my parents come along that way he's more focused (little kids apparently like to show off, who knew?) and its been working well because I am I think a little strict .. or not strict but always "take it early.. watch your feet" and stuff but my parents on the side go "good job.. WOW" so there's a nice balance. I have also been hitting with my dad, if you call that hitting that is.

Anyway, today after I hit with my brother, my parents took him back home and I stayed to practice my serve and got some second serve practice in (9/10 kickers out wide and 10/10 kickers down the T , both from the deuce court and 6/10 kickers down the T from the ad side). While I was serving there was this other kid and we hit for I'd say an hour. It was pretty good, I'd say he's almost exactly like me except 3 years back. Which is ok because he's also I'd say 3 years younger than me and only a soph in high school. But yeah, he's pretty consistent so good hitting. I invited him over to the boards here and said he should start a journal, it'd be good for him i think and I hope he comes around.

That's it. I'll keep running and hopefully I can hit with mdshahid or someone more frequently. I think because of the running I am having a much harder time getting up in the morning and then evenings are always busy or.. you know conflicting.

:)

Offline FreeBird

• Tennis God
« Reply #434 on: July 02, 2008, 10:13:06 PM »
Nice update Pawan.  Hopefully Scooter will send you a kickback for attracting new people to his website :)  I hope you're able to get out to the courts a little more and put your increased fitness to good use!
Good luck on the court is nice to have, but it's usually extraneous when playing against Baker.

Offline mdshahid20

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #435 on: July 02, 2008, 10:30:13 PM »
my bad pawan, i havent been able to make time the last week or so. I have to take my chem exam tomorrow (which i will most likely fail) but after that i should be relatively free. I downloaded some of the professor's previous finals (he had them online) and they are pretty difficult. But if i dont do any stupid math mistakes, i think i should be fine and get the 80 i need to get.  :// Anyway, i'll be at rutgers tomorrow until like 11:30 or so, if  want to play call me when u get back (i dont think i'll be able to bring my rackets to rutgers so we'll have to play back at M-town). Also, i'll definitely get up at 6:30 and call u from now on  ;-().

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #436 on: July 02, 2008, 11:56:32 PM »
Nice update Pawan.  Hopefully Scooter will send you a kickback for attracting new people to his website :)  I hope you're able to get out to the courts a little more and put your increased fitness to good use!

You know I was going to say, I shoudl get some share of the profits or something for every person i invite.. until I realized how much profit Scott makes  :head-smack:

I hope I can get around more too! Nice to see you around here lately and how you used to post your fitness routines in your journal  :)

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #437 on: July 03, 2008, 10:31:21 AM »
Go Dr. P go................you da man! 

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #438 on: July 06, 2008, 08:50:36 PM »
I went out to hit with mdshahid after the final today.

I really don't feel like posting or writing, but I'll say one thing. I am very very deflated after the match. My hearty congratulations to Nadal, definitely a great achivement and what a performance. I mean, simply awesome, no other words for it. He's better than Roger and deserved the FO and Wimbledon double.
Still.. I am very very deflated, that's all I can say. After the FO I was almost depressed but today, it was a long match, a great match from BOTH sides and I am just tired and sad that Fed lost to Nadal (quite honestly I would rather have seen anyone but Nadal win.. anyone. Claycourters winning Wimbledon .. first time for real since Borg as far as I am concerned. And I am no big fan of Borg either).

Ah. Why am I posting all this here? Bottomline is I refuse to speak about this match or whatever in the main discussions place. I mean honestly, Fed fans might be fanatical over there but they are not obnoxious and agressive. no need to name names but I was hoping maybe a Federer win would quell some .. agression almost. But now there'll be no end to it and I refuse to be part of that atmosphere - a very degrading atmosphere at best after a match like today's where both players deserve some respect .. where to be honest Rafa barely pulled out..

I'll shut up.

:ZZZZZ)  :ZZZZZ)

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #439 on: July 07, 2008, 03:36:40 PM »
Very well said Dr. P.!    I agree fully but I do not pull for Fed more than I pull for great tennis and tennis where players push each other to play amazing points with awesome shot-making.   That match was simply awesome to watch with so many wtf-points that kept impressing!  Nadal is one tough tennis player that is for sure!   I can totally respect that but also can't stand to hear the over-the-top nonsense about Nadal being the best thing ever and Fed being chopped liver.  Fact is, they are both amazing tennis players and I will watch their match-ups as often as I can.