Author Topic: Pawan's Tennis Journal  (Read 62041 times)

Offline FreeBird

• Tennis God
Re: Pawan's Tennis Journal
« Reply #440 on: July 10, 2008, 09:36:39 AM »
Very well said Dr. P.!    I agree fully but I do not pull for Fed more than I pull for great tennis and tennis where players push each other to play amazing points with awesome shot-making.   That match was simply awesome to watch with so many wtf-points that kept impressing!  Nadal is one tough tennis player that is for sure!   I can totally respect that but also can't stand to hear the over-the-top nonsense about Nadal being the best thing ever and Fed being chopped liver.  Fact is, they are both amazing tennis players and I will watch their match-ups as often as I can. 

Agree completely with both of you guys!  I guess maybe if there's one good thing about all the Nadsense getting spewed in the forums, it's that it adds even a little more to the drama of watching their matchups.  I've only watched the first set of the final, and it was some of the most intense feelings of "fandom" that I've experienced in a long time, certainly over tennis.  Maybe you need some naysayers talking crapsmack to add that little extra bit, I don't know.  Regardless, I was bummed by the outcome but it's cool that this match has generated such a buzz outside the tennis world.
Good luck on the court is nice to have, but it's usually extraneous when playing against Baker.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #441 on: July 10, 2008, 08:40:40 PM »
Very well said Dr. P.!    I agree fully but I do not pull for Fed more than I pull for great tennis and tennis where players push each other to play amazing points with awesome shot-making.   That match was simply awesome to watch with so many wtf-points that kept impressing!  Nadal is one tough tennis player that is for sure!   I can totally respect that but also can't stand to hear the over-the-top nonsense about Nadal being the best thing ever and Fed being chopped liver.  Fact is, they are both amazing tennis players and I will watch their match-ups as often as I can. 

Agree completely with both of you guys!  I guess maybe if there's one good thing about all the Nadsense getting spewed in the forums, it's that it adds even a little more to the drama of watching their matchups.  I've only watched the first set of the final, and it was some of the most intense feelings of "fandom" that I've experienced in a long time, certainly over tennis.  Maybe you need some naysayers talking crapsmack to add that little extra bit, I don't know.  Regardless, I was bummed by the outcome but it's cool that this match has generated such a buzz outside the tennis world.

Yeah. And it does spice up the forums I suppose which is a good thing every now and then. As long as order is restored soon enough that is. The match was totally awesome though, some of the best tennis period.

I hit with mdshahid, started playing sets. at 6-1 3-3 we were playing some decent tennis and this lady kicked us out because of some concert in the park we were at and we had to either move our car then or be there till 9, and I don't think we were in any mood to move my car and come back to the park.

I then went and hit with my brother, I actually played doubles with my brother against my parents. It's pretty funny and fun but you know, for me it was like.. the opposite of playing tennis  :rofl_2:

Actually, I think I should get some videos of my brother hitting, I can really use some help from yous on how to teach him. I am teaching him a two handed backhand, but I myself have no idea how to hit a two hander. Its too early and he can only hit back about 5/10 forehands and just as many backhands fed right to/around him. But you know, kids can get the hang real fast. he's asking me to go and hit with him so interest from his side. There's a plus and I am happy enough for that now. But I really think I should get someone professional to train him once a week or once a month once he starts hitting back and gets a little strong. He's only 7. If he can be at a coachable stage by the time he's 9 or so I'll be happy.

Offline alchemist

• Tennis God
« Reply #442 on: July 11, 2008, 12:02:41 AM »

Yeah. And it does spice up the forums I suppose which is a good thing every now and then. As long as order is restored soon enough that is. The match was totally awesome though, some of the best tennis period.

I hit with mdshahid, started playing sets. at 6-1 3-3 we were playing some decent tennis and this lady kicked us out because of some concert in the park we were at and we had to either move our car then or be there till 9, and I don't think we were in any mood to move my car and come back to the park.

I then went and hit with my brother, I actually played doubles with my brother against my parents. It's pretty funny and fun but you know, for me it was like.. the opposite of playing tennis  :rofl_2:

Actually, I think I should get some videos of my brother hitting, I can really use some help from yous on how to teach him. I am teaching him a two handed backhand, but I myself have no idea how to hit a two hander. Its too early and he can only hit back about 5/10 forehands and just as many backhands fed right to/around him. But you know, kids can get the hang real fast. he's asking me to go and hit with him so interest from his side. There's a plus and I am happy enough for that now. But I really think I should get someone professional to train him once a week or once a month once he starts hitting back and gets a little strong. He's only 7. If he can be at a coachable stage by the time he's 9 or so I'll be happy.

You didn't beat them too badly did you? ;-()
"We've been stuck in a locker room for nine hours a day and he's been chilling out, maybe taking the double decker bus tour of London."

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #443 on: September 15, 2008, 12:00:19 AM »
My journal actually fell out of the first page, for the first time. That was almost like Roger falling from #1.  :rofl_2:

Well unfortunately, I haven't read too many journals either. When you play its fun to read everyone else's journal here and update my own. But I haven't played in a while. So this is like an appropriate, three week late, end to summer journal post.

I have played a few times actually, very few but have played. Not seriously but at this stage pretty much any outing with an equal opponent is a fairly 'focus on regaining my game in the shortest period and maintain it' type thing. So it was cool. I hit with a few people before school started. And then I went to the tryouts for the club team at Rutgers, not trying out for the club but just to see how everyone else was and where I match up. From what I saw I can 'easily' be a fairly strong club team person. Of the 40 or so people there that day including 5 or 6 existing club members, my good tennis is definitely top 5 material. I was happy to see that. I haven't had any competitive tennis in a long time but I have tried to maintain and improve my game and its nice to see that i can say with satisfaction that I can compare myself to some of those players whom I had seen and aimed to be like (that level). and I am usually pretty harsh on judging myself without being negative so I am happy.

All serious tennis, for all practical purposes are, I guess, done until next summer. Sad to say it but most likely the fact that I have to accept. I might still go out and hit a few times depeending on when myself and others are free.

I was going to post a fwe days ago but I was being really down at that moment and its never wise to linger on such negativity. Basically, I am pretty much out of shape right now. I still weigh about 155-160 lbs. I ran quite a bit this summer but I don't think I look any healthier. If anything I got much worse over summer, ironically. I can still run an under 7 minute mile whihc I was proud of. And I think I have gotten stronger but I have also gotten fatter. Yeah.. I mean, pretty disappointing.
Let me just put it this way.. there are a few shirts and jeans I have been wearing for around 3-4 years and I am starting to feel .. for some reason, I have been more self-conscious lately and not satisfied with how I have kept myself. I am usually very laid back and don't ever care about my appearnce or what clothes I am wearing or whatever.. I am very comfortable with who I am and for some reason I feel like I have slipped from my own expectations. perhaps I am trying too hard to impress the ladies  ..-) :rofl_2:  Whatever, I am not too worried. Usually I get back to normal over semester, I don't get stronger or healthier but I do think I get rid of some fat and some excess pounds. But this semester I have also kept running and planning on hitting the weight room more often. I am also trying to make my 15 minute exercise routine thing to be more of a routine.. it still feels like a chore hence I skip it frequently.
I am always very self-assured.. I just feel its strange that I am being a little more self-conscious and not feeling good about it.

Anyway.. well, I'll keep you updated if I do anything fun. I think I want to play a lot more racquetball this semester since its weather and light independent unlike tennis (:() but if its warm like last year, I want to keep playing tennis all the time! I probably won't post much on these forums as I used to (already reduced my posting..:() cuz this semester's the hardest one so far and is definitely way way way more time consuming. But I'll also try to keep reading a few more journals here, they always keep me bright and pumped up about tennis :)) See you around!

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #444 on: September 15, 2008, 06:02:23 AM »
Thanks for contributing, pawan. I like this corner of the site where people actually lift tennis racquets and can compare experiences. We all have different motivations in addition to getting pleasure out of just hitting a ball. I've always been very low on competitive instincts but high on social interaction and I don't see that changing. It's been a main reason for not locating elsewhere. The thought of finding a whole new set of compatible tennis partners is just too depressing (At any one time there are probably about 20-25).  Tennis friends are special people too (see recent discussion in my thread) :)) .

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #445 on: September 16, 2008, 03:50:34 PM »
Dr. P, what has happened....................are you soo busy that you can't even get out on court?   What have you done this Summer, work?   No School, I hope? 

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #446 on: September 25, 2008, 07:25:13 PM »
Dr. P, what has happened....................are you soo busy that you can't even get out on court?   What have you done this Summer, work?   No School, I hope? 

yeah more work pretty much. I played enough this summer though, not totally disappointed.

So I have been doing something or the other everyday actually for the past two weeks. Racquetball.. tennis, running. even basketball. I played tennis here on the indoor courts for the third time in 4 days. And I was inspired to write in here again.

I just feel awesome. Last time I played a set was against mdshahid, at night under the lights, in jeans and he beat me, 6-4. Not a big deal, I could have won it if I was playing seriously but the manner in which he was playing impressed me. He was playing at a good level, hitting clean and hitting winners. So we went out today in the indoor courts and played 2 sets. I changed to shorts and tightened my shoes... it was game time. And I played last night too against another friend, who isn't serious but he's still really good for someone who doesn't play tennis and I found my clean striking groove. And today I just felt awesome! I won 6-3 6-2, mdshahid got a few too many double faults or it could have been closer, but off the ground which is all I care about, I felt awesome. I actually was serious, so I moved, hit hard hit deep, mixed it up with nice drop shots, s&v, lobs, the complete package. I haven't felt this solid or played this seriously and solidly .. ever, at least in a long time. I was definitely hitting my forehands extremely well, I was driving my backhands extrememly well, in-fact I was disappointed I couldn't get to play more backhands and hit a few winners off that win. Obviously, when I say seriously, I actually served.. and when I serve real serves and mdshahid gets his serves in, a good part of the games is service winners but still, we are playing off the ground a lot lot more than we did a few summers ago and I love it.

seriously, I am proud of myself and satisfied today. I can say for sure that I have played some of my best tennis, if not the best, tonight.  :king:

One thing I'd like to point out, I did point out earlier too but this is something that needs drastic fixing. After my serve, immediately after my serve that is, I am very often out of position for well returned balls. For example if I am serving on the duece/ad court and the ball is returned somewhat deep (no pace necessary) to the ad/duece court or right at my feet.. I am not in control and have to scramble to get back. I am not in the 'rally' mode to get in the rally right off my serve. How do I fix this?

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #447 on: September 25, 2008, 09:28:48 PM »
Are you admiring your serve and not getting back into position?  Maybe jumping in too far and then not getting back out of the court? 

Regardless, once you hit your serve you need to best prepare yourself for the next shot.  You still need to hit the split step as your partner hits the ball so you can move to any position you need to the quickest.  Whatever the cause it should be an easy one to fix.

Good to hear you didn't try jeans again!
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #448 on: September 26, 2008, 12:32:15 AM »
Are you admiring your serve and not getting back into position?  Maybe jumping in too far and then not getting back out of the court? 

Regardless, once you hit your serve you need to best prepare yourself for the next shot.  You still need to hit the split step as your partner hits the ball so you can move to any position you need to the quickest.  Whatever the cause it should be an easy one to fix.

Good to hear you didn't try jeans again!

No I am not admiring. I just think maybe my all out serve has an over-excessive all out motion. but I mean, that's what makes it a good serve. I do get a good foot and a half into the air, I do end up a foot into the court, I do end up one one foot and not exactly in a perfect position to split step... and by the time I have completed that, if my opponend does manage to get the ball.. if its anywhere within 5 feet of the baseline, I am basically scrambling. This has been a problem for a while and I really don't see if I am doing anything wrong. If I go for a minimalistic motion then yes I am ready but then again, that serve isn't all out. Its still decent and that's what I do most of the time and when I do go for the big ones, they don't come back in the court so that's how I have been getting away with it alll the time. That's why I feel less comfortable on my service games than return games even though I have a good serve because I know if someone can return it deep I am at a loss almost, I'd rather serve easy and get back in position anticipating a tough return and playing the rally from there on.

Another thing I wanted to mention. I think a little of this comes from racquetball. So when you play seriously and for improving like I have been in general over the years, you expect to play well. But I never got pumped up with my good shots like the pros do. And I never got it and just thought it was one of those "pro things" that they get to at such a level. So when I used to hit a good winner, it was always like "ok where was that shot the last 5 times you dumped into the net?" or "finally.. took you long enough to get one of those". Always that was what I expected so never got like excited over it. But in racquetball you make far less errors and the points are usually ended after a tough rally.. not due to your own mistakes or your opponents mistakes. So I actually enjoy playing racquetball for taht reason because when I win points I actually get excited. It's like you know, good play and then YES! you got a good point!
Today I felt that for one of the first times in tennis. Because I was playing well and I didn't make a ton of errors before getting winners.. I worked hard, I played good points and then when I won them with a good shot, I was actually pumped up!! It was all positive.
 :) I am so happy!

Its such a novel idea for me, not having played competitively or at any stake for 3 years plus, to actually be serious, put my best effort forth and get pumped up about my game because when I play seriously and move well, my tennis is good enough to be fun and exciting!!

Funny how I am going through all these psychological epiphanies lately even though the amount of tennis is no where close to previous summers. But I expected this actually. Like Murray said after the USO, once you work on your game and your fitness (his case and words) you bring yourself to a point where you can play top notch tennis, then your attitude and mentality make the difference and help you get even better. I found this odd at first because they say you have to have a winner's mentality to be a winner and the mind set should come first and all else will follow. But its true, once your tennis is good enough, then you can have confidence build up a positive mindset and go up from there. If you're tennis is not good enough its just so much harder to stay positive and have the champion's mentality. 

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #449 on: September 26, 2008, 08:22:01 AM »
Good to hear you got out on the courts again!

I'm assuming you're a youngster (under 40 :))) so here's a word to the wise-
Any weight gain you are experiencing now is a warning of what's to come in the future if
you don't make a lifestyle adjustment now.  My unsought advice is to form good nutrition and exercise habits now and stick with them as your life evolves.

What better way to accomplish this than through tennis!!! 

Interesting stuff, those epiphanies. :))

CONK da ball!!!

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #450 on: October 06, 2008, 01:51:21 PM »
Racquetball is pretty sweet isn't it? 

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #451 on: October 15, 2008, 11:23:26 PM »
Monstertruck, I dislike you for speaking the truth  :)~ You are absolutely right on that though, my small and maybe at the moment negligible concerns are the ones that'll haunt me when I am older. I wish I was one of those guys who can stay in shape and still do whatever they want. But I am not going to complain. I need to man up and really get into a better exercise routine and make that part of my lifestyle, not a temporary thing.

Racquetball is pretty sweet isn't it? 

Indeed it is. I like it a lot.

So I played racquetball a few days ago (have been playing a little frequently). Also went out and played tennis after that. And then ended up playing basketball after that. My thumb got jammed (or that's what they said happened, I don't know these basketball terms) during the game. They said it'd go away soon but my thumb is still really really sore now (5 days later). Like I am having trouble writing with a pen and touching my palm with my thumb.
This is my right hand. So basically, I cannot play proper tennis. I might be able to get forehand over by just gripping the raquet with my palm but my thumb takes the brunt of the force on my backhand. No thumb, no backhand. I am hoping the thing goes away soon ( which it should if its a minor thing.. it seemed like all those who played basketball regularly knew about it and was one of those things that happen frequently to them.. but then again another one of my friends said he got hurt just like that on his little finger and his finger didn't get back to normal for at least 3 months).

Sucks. I can probably still play racquetball, just can hit tennis backhands or even tennis forehands for that matter.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #452 on: October 16, 2008, 05:59:31 AM »
Habits good, easy make fitness and health. ;-()
CONK da ball!!!

Offline mdshahid20

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #453 on: October 16, 2008, 07:06:54 PM »
yo you'll be fine man. it takes like a week but it goes away... once you play bball more, your hands sort of adjust themselves so u dont get jammed

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #454 on: October 17, 2008, 05:47:23 AM »
I used to play alot of basketball and I have never had serious pain from a jammed or stubbed finger that lasted longer than say, a week.  You can stub your finger so bad that the joint slips past the knuckle and needs pulled back out or you can mildly stub it to where it is just a bit sore for a while.  I did once roll my hand underneath my side while trying to dive during volleyball.  I thought I stubbed/jammed my finger on the floor.  Turns out I had a spiral fracture in my hand just above my ring finger.........oddly, it didn't hurt any more than a stubbed finger. 

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #455 on: June 18, 2009, 01:48:37 AM »
Wow. I haven't posted here in 120 days, at least.  :(

So I finally got some tennis in, after.. months! With mdshahid, under the lights but fairly dark. Jeans and all but tennis is tennis and I love it. Hopefully I'll get to play more often and more importantly I need to start keeping up with some of your journals here again, that itself is plenty motivation for me and keeps me in good spirits even if I don't get to play.

I miss our 3 hours a day every day tennis that we did for the past couple summers.  :\

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #456 on: June 18, 2009, 08:13:52 PM »
Holy crap............a Pawan sighting in Pawan's journal!   :rofl_2:

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #457 on: June 25, 2009, 02:39:10 PM »
Holy crap............a Pawan sighting in Pawan's journal!   :rofl_2:

:)~

I played again. It's a record. Two times in under two weeks? Crazy stuff I tell you. I hit with mdshahid and his friend for nearly 3 hours and I'm lovin it. My backhand's better than ever, my forehand seems to be almost as good as ever, I've been hitting everything about a foot to two longer than I'm intending too, perhaps a result of stringing my racquets lower. I'm going back to 58-59 tension instead of 55. My serve is up there as well. My movement seems better. I feel... complete. It's a good feeling. Can't wait to get out there and do this more often.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #458 on: July 09, 2009, 03:52:29 PM »
So I played again. Doubles with mdshahid against NJtennis and another friend of ours. :)

I've also been hitting (feeding balls) to my  brother, he's 8 and he's now asking me to teach him, which is what i was waiting for. I still would like someone to teach him the basics ( I don't even know how to hit a two handed backhand and I am teaching him how to  :rofl_2: )

I need to get my racquets restrung, they've definitely lost all tension and the strings I tried, I don't like them. back to my hybrids .. I actually feel stuff with them which is what I want.
I also want to really work on my volleys this summer. And overheads. And also pretty much I want to be able to swing freely during matches because I think I'm fairly comfortable and somewhat satisfied with the quality/level of my ground strokes and serve during practice and just hitting around. Now to actually go for the corners with free swings during matches when it matters is what I need to work on. I just need to be able to trust my shots and trust my feet and go for it, right? Is that about all there is to it? I mean physically I think I can do what I want, its just when its time to play points you play it safe and push the ball instead of driving it.

:) Good stuff. It's sad that I've come to be happy with .. with 1 outing of tennis - doubles at that. Doubles are fun cuz I get to volley but honestly that's not tennis for me. I need to sweat and move and run and feel like I'm tired to say I've played good tennis.

I also want to lose 15-20 pounds in the next two-three months. My target first is to get in shape for a tri-athlon event I'm running in roughly 1 month from now. It has .5 mile ocean swim, 10 mile bike ride and 3 mile run. I think I should be able to do that if I give it my best in one month. I've been slowly lifting weights .. unfortunately haven't really done much in the form of real cardio :( Its frustrating how lazy i am, because .. I have the motivation, I want to do it, I feel good after I do it, I plan on doing it, I stay positive and everything and then.. I just postpone it or wait for the ideal start. I feel that's holding me back, I always wait for the "ok i'll start it from monday and do the same thing everyday for a few weeks" and if that pattern's broken i just wait for the next ideal start. I would rather just be like "hey look i have the next half an hour free, let me go run now" .. but instead i wait for it to be perfect and everything and that just doens't happen and i can't expect it to happen, i am a college student afterall and this time period is best characterized by randomness and a general lack of routine.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #459 on: July 09, 2009, 09:33:17 PM »
So I played again. Doubles with mdshahid against NJtennis and another friend of ours. :)

I've also been hitting (feeding balls) to my  brother, he's 8 and he's now asking me to teach him, which is what i was waiting for. I still would like someone to teach him the basics ( I don't even know how to hit a two handed backhand and I am teaching him how to  :rofl_2: )

I need to get my racquets restrung, they've definitely lost all tension and the strings I tried, I don't like them. back to my hybrids .. I actually feel stuff with them which is what I want.
I also want to really work on my volleys this summer. And overheads. And also pretty much I want to be able to swing freely during matches because I think I'm fairly comfortable and somewhat satisfied with the quality/level of my ground strokes and serve during practice and just hitting around. Now to actually go for the corners with free swings during matches when it matters is what I need to work on. I just need to be able to trust my shots and trust my feet and go for it, right? Is that about all there is to it? I mean physically I think I can do what I want, its just when its time to play points you play it safe and push the ball instead of driving it.

:) Good stuff. It's sad that I've come to be happy with .. with 1 outing of tennis - doubles at that. Doubles are fun cuz I get to volley but honestly that's not tennis for me. I need to sweat and move and run and feel like I'm tired to say I've played good tennis.

I also want to lose 15-20 pounds in the next two-three months. My target first is to get in shape for a tri-athlon event I'm running in roughly 1 month from now. It has .5 mile ocean swim, 10 mile bike ride and 3 mile run. I think I should be able to do that if I give it my best in one month. I've been slowly lifting weights .. unfortunately haven't really done much in the form of real cardio :( Its frustrating how lazy i am, because .. I have the motivation, I want to do it, I feel good after I do it, I plan on doing it, I stay positive and everything and then.. I just postpone it or wait for the ideal start. I feel that's holding me back, I always wait for the "ok i'll start it from monday and do the same thing everyday for a few weeks" and if that pattern's broken i just wait for the next ideal start. I would rather just be like "hey look i have the next half an hour free, let me go run now" .. but instead i wait for it to be perfect and everything and that just doens't happen and i can't expect it to happen, i am a college student afterall and this time period is best characterized by randomness and a general lack of routine.
A triathalon? :scared:
Good on ya! :thumbs up:

Try getting a workout buddy (or buddies) to help keep you motivated.
It's easy enough to make excuses for yourself but it can be tough when you're letting a buddy down by not working out.
(so said the fat old man)
CONK da ball!!!