Author Topic: Pawan's Tennis Journal  (Read 61924 times)

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
Pawan's Tennis Journal
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2007, 08:31:32 AM »
Quote from: "OSU Buckeye"

Damn, thats a tall, thin, nice, athletic body!!!!   ;)    Oh, sorry you were talking about strokes?????   ||-|

:)) Yes every now and then I am able to take my mind off the "tall, thin, nice, athletic body" and focus on the tennis - clearly i must have been in one of those times when I was talking about tennis with such pictures.  :whistle:

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
Pawan's Tennis Journal
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2007, 12:46:02 PM »
For the first time ever, never so till now, I am jealous of everyone in Texas and California and Florida who don't have to deal with 4-6 months of snow and such and can play tennis pretty much through the year. I have always been one who'd pick winter over summer anyday. Just goes to show how badly I want to go out there and play again - I really need to find some indoor courts around here.

Offline Bundey

• Tennis God
  • Formerly known as "#1federerfan"
Pawan's Tennis Journal
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2007, 01:26:39 PM »
So you stand like a foot inside the baseline. That is weird.  I always stand about 1 or 2 feet behind unless I'm coming in for the short ball.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
Pawan's Tennis Journal
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2007, 03:47:40 PM »
Quote from: "#1federerfan"
So you stand like a foot inside the baseline. That is weird.  I always stand about 1 or 2 feet behind unless I'm coming in for the short ball.

yeah, it works for me and I need all the power the ball has to send it back decently, i can't afford to hang back and let the ball slow and have to use my own power. But as i said, I pay the price when I have deep backhands and I don't have time to prep and mess up. I'll try your way next time I play.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
Pawan's Tennis Journal
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2007, 01:23:36 AM »

I realized why I do this now. around beginning of last summer I think, I started playing closer to the service line to work on my reflexes, I guess I just got in that habit a little too much. That'd explain my standing into the baseline for return of serves against my friend who has big serves. Hmm, I wonder if the whole unconcious reflex/reaction "training" helps - i'll find out when I play this time and hang back just a little bit.

So I was analyzing my game and decided to write it down. I missed a lot of stuff that I had thought about cuz I forget by the time I write down but I think its still a decent and fair analysis of my game. I was reading quite a bit from tennis.com's article instruction (http://www.tennis.com/yourgame/instructionarticles/index.aspx) I think I have nearly exhausted this site's extensive lesson lounge, at least those that I looked into.

Read ahead if you want to know my game. Don't read ahead if you don't want to or think you might end up playing me one day (don't worry by that time I'll have fixed everything unless thats tommorrow or something).

Just the basics (everything boils down to this though doesn't it? so it covers almost everything I think - please do point out any aspects I might have missed and i'll analyze that too)

Serve -
what I can do: a decent slice serve, a good topspin serve. put pace on it when I am in the groove. steady serving motion. controlling the direction.
what I need to work on: bolder second serves. placement of second serves. get into the serving groove more often. use my legs to add power and control the ball with the power.
what I should do: work big time on second serve.

Serve follow through -
what I can do: follow to net and finish a point on the ad court. finish short balls. half volleys.
what I need to work on: getting right back into position after an all-out serve. volleying from a duece court serve.

Return of serve -
what I need to work on: backhand return deep. against s&v people. high serves. consistent and aggressive returns. proper technique and routine.
what I should do: focus on solid block back of serves deep. attack second serves. anticipate the serve better so i can prepare better for my two handed backahnd return. Split step.

Footwork -
what I need to work on: taking a split step more often at the right time. making a constant effort to bend my knees and stay low to ground on groundstrokes. stability at net (firm split steps and step through on volleys). open and closed stances.
what I should do: focus on taking many more steps setting up for shots. focus on split steps.

Strategy (singles only) -
what I can do: rely on my forehand and backhand to keep me in a point. change of pace and sping styles to throw opponent off.
what I need to work on: fighting off strong attacks to my backhand and keep me in the point. being too predictable most of the times.
what I should do:poaching an opponents one or the other side and wrong-step them more often.  pull opponents off wide to set up winners. hitting balls a little higher and deeper (like a mini-lob) to disturb pace and give time.

Forehand -
what I can do: topspins, slices. dropshots. directional control. pace control.
what I need to work on: taking the ball at its peak or on the rise. flat shots.
what I should do: focus on height and depth when i need time to recuperate.

Net Game -
what I can do: volley back into play. dropshots.
what I need to work on: be bold and go for the angles to finish points. overheads.

Backhand -
what I can do: slice deep. drop shots.
what I need to work on: topspin/flat drives
what I should do: use both hands to prepare ahead of time. bend knees. focus on good solid contact and follow through.

Mental -
pros: good approach to most errors and winners. no temper.
what I need to work on: I usally play better when I'm not in the lead and I am trying to catch up, when I am in the lead I'm always more tentative and overall not myself.
what I should do: think more about the opponent and exploit his weaknesses mentally and game wise and use his game to my advantage. basically concentrate on strategic plays more often.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
Pawan's Tennis Journal
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2007, 10:44:37 PM »
I googled my name + tennis to see what turned up. Apparently none of my matches or anything from previous years are on there  :PHEW:)
The only rather embarrassing result still up is from this summer when my made a bold statement by winning round 1 6-0 and made just as much noise, losing next round 6-0. The seeds were all random, but the kid at the top Chris Mango was pretty good I thought, he could've been seed 1.

yeah, don't ask. I think I mentioned before on here though, he just kept getting everything back, nothing big at all - I made all the good shots and all the bad shots and we played pro-sets first two rounds so that also screwed me up with no deuces and all.
I have played the winner of the tournament before and although I probably wouldn't have beaten him (probably not even my next round opponent for that matter) I think I should be at his level by the end of this summer - like thats my target. He had a solid serve, solid strokes, solid everything and could do things when he wanted which is basically you know.. basically what everyone aims for isn't it.

http://www.bracketmaker.com/tmenu.cfm?tid=180698&tclass=Men's%20Tournament

Offline ERHS

• Tennis Addict
Pawan's Tennis Journal
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2007, 12:30:37 PM »
Only 1 set? And that tournament had plenty of Indian names.......

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
Pawan's Tennis Journal
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2007, 05:10:25 PM »
Quote from: "ERHS"
Only 1 set? And that tournament had plenty of Indian names.......

i thought it was odd too. the pro-set format did mess me up quite a bit.

ok so I played today for about two and a half hours. we hit around for most of the time but also played two sets. I am really happy with the way I played. I am keeping the little things in mind and consciously making an effort to correct them and its working. I played from behind the baseline and it was a good change as i expected. my backhand's getting really better, I had a lot of the backhand slice/block lobs when you are.. know barely reaching the backhand and I think its pretty good. forehands were solid. Serves were solid, I haven't yet tried doing a kickserve but I am getting quite a lot of power from my legs and overall i am getting consistent with the serving motion - next step is to regain my placement of serves i had earlier. and plaecement of second serves too. i played wel at the net too. what more can I ask for? well.. theres a lot more i can ask for but i am pretty satisfied with today. i'll play tommorrow hopefully and see if i can anlyze my game again.

Offline Bundey

• Tennis God
  • Formerly known as "#1federerfan"
Pawan's Tennis Journal
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2007, 10:02:58 AM »
Good job, did it feel weird playing behind the baseline.

BTW I'm right handed, how would I do a kickserve.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
Pawan's Tennis Journal
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2007, 05:43:42 PM »
Good job, did it feel weird playing behind the baseline.

BTW I'm right handed, how would I do a kickserve.

Just search for it on Google, I'll give you links too, thats basically all I do.

Ok so I totally miss high school tennis, the team atmosphere, the matches.. the tennis. So I went back to see how they were doing with the new coach (we have a new coach who's supposedly like the 5.0 level champ in nj) He scares me a bit so I didn't talk to him. I talked to a few kids. I saw them play. I'll say this much: last year I struggled for my game but even with 100% game I would have won but only normally or even closely. I ended up playing 3rd singles and didn't find my game at all the whole season. If I played the way I am playing now.. I can't even think about it. I can't believe how much I've improved.. I am way way beyond just getting the ball back and relying on others' errors..
and you know how i complain about how my serve is not fast enough and i don't have power in my shots? well I am comparing myself to the pros i watch in the videos - my serve's literally twice as fast as the serves I faced back in high school and  if I hit with even half as much power as I hit with on my groundies I could have overpowered some of the kids. I wouldn't be surprised if I play someone whom I lost to badly last year and blew them away 6-0 this time around.

WHY DIDN'T I FIND ME THIS SITE A YEAR AGO????

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
Pawan's Tennis Journal
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2007, 11:43:17 PM »
I need to play..
I saw a friend today who is one year senior to me (at highschool and same college now) and he was first singles when I played in highschool. The strangest thing about his game though was that he never seemed like he was trying. He always played with like one hand in his pocket :)) and just played like it was no big deal. And he was good. I want to play him cuz I think I can actually beat him now or at the least have a close match. But its not fair cuz he hasn't played since he graduated two years ago he said so you know I wouldn't want to embarrass him hahaha.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
Pawan's Tennis Journal
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2007, 07:47:42 AM »
You need to hit the courts, young Pawan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
Pawan's Tennis Journal
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2007, 12:27:27 PM »

Thats absolutley right, don't worry once school ends i'll catch up on all the tennis - i'll be back to playing 4 hours a day. I'll look more into USTA leagues too.

Oh and I came to my journal to just say this.. I am now officially a Tennis God on here!!!  :angel2)  :smoke:

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
Pawan's Tennis Journal
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2007, 01:20:11 PM »
Quote from: "pawan89"

Thats absolutley right, don't worry once school ends i'll catch up on all the tennis - i'll be back to playing 4 hours a day. I'll look more into USTA leagues too.

Oh and I came to my journal to just say this.. I am now officially a Tennis God on here!!!  :angel2)  :smoke:

Hells yes you are!   Clearly, and humble too!   :)

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
Pawan's Tennis Journal
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2007, 07:50:19 PM »

I earned it! by posting like every night at 2 or so!  :))

Anyway, I played for like two hours today..
My serve's clicking, my backhand's really clicking, my forehand is getting super consistent and is able to pull of amazing shots at a higher frequency.
I am happy.
I know I posted on how to do the backhand topspin on one of threads but I am having difficulty with it, well extreme topspin that is. I need to let the ball come into me a little more before I take the swing, I can't hit the ball in front of me cuz then my forward swing would be in motion more than my upward motion.. whatever - this'll come later, I am able to actually hit a one handed flat backhand with solid depth angle and pace control so I'll focus on the other stuff later.
I still can't do the twist serve right and in the process hurt my back a little today.. I'll get it right or break my back - I hope its the former.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
Pawan's Tennis Journal
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2007, 08:50:11 PM »

I earned it! by posting like every night at 2 or so!  :))

Anyway, I played for like two hours today..
My serve's clicking, my backhand's really clicking, my forehand is getting super consistent and is able to pull of amazing shots at a higher frequency.
I am happy.
I know I posted on how to do the backhand topspin on one of threads but I am having difficulty with it, well extreme topspin that is. I need to let the ball come into me a little more before I take the swing, I can't hit the ball in front of me cuz then my forward swing would be in motion more than my upward motion.. whatever - this'll come later, I am able to actually hit a one handed flat backhand with solid depth angle and pace control so I'll focus on the other stuff later.
I still can't do the twist serve right and in the process hurt my back a little today.. I'll get it right or break my back - I hope its the former.

Congratulations Tennis God! :applause:

Offline ERHS

• Tennis Addict
Pawan's Tennis Journal
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2007, 09:05:45 PM »

Typical Indian guy. "Oh I hurt my back." Get out there and learn the kick.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
Pawan's Tennis Journal
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2007, 09:25:51 PM »
Quote from: "ERHS"

Typical Indian guy. "Oh I hurt my back." Get out there and learn the kick.

I didn't hurt it badly - not bad enough that I'd give up learning anything yet  :))
You are talking about my dad - the one person who's athleticism I do not represent or want to imitate.

It's actually harder than I thought though, like I can do a regular top spin serve (aka kick serve) perfectly fine and have been for a while now, never had any problems while learning it either. The twist serve I don't know why but I am just ... I don't know, I toss the back further back and maybe in the process tossing it lower maybe and so having to awkwardly bend my back down and back to hit it?
I'll figure it out don't you worry..

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Pawan's Tennis Journal
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2007, 11:28:53 PM »
I always recommend learning the topspin serve first and then transitioning to the kick serve.  The topspin serve puts less strain on your back and can help you get stronger for the kick serve.  Right out of college I hurt my back so bad hitting a kick serve that I had to put the racquet down for a month.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
Pawan's Tennis Journal
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2007, 11:41:14 AM »
Quote from: "Tennis4you"
I always recommend learning the topspin serve first and then transitioning to the kick serve.  The topspin serve puts less strain on your back and can help you get stronger for the kick serve.  Right out of college I hurt my back so bad hitting a kick serve that I had to put the racquet down for a month.

That's the thing though, I have been doing the top spin serve for over an year now, and I can do it quite well. I still don't think my back is strong enough for a twist serve though.