Author Topic: old player want to begin again  (Read 2453 times)

Offline wingnut

• New Poster
old player want to begin again
« on: February 10, 2007, 01:54:19 PM »
Hi,

I use to play tennis ALL the time until about 15 years ago.  It has always been one of my most favorite things to do.  I really want to be good at it again.  I do realize that I am older and not as agile now.  After contemplating this for a number of years I finally went out this week and looked into it.  Any advice on getting into shape and any idea on how long it will take?

Wingnut

Online Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
old player want to begin again
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 02:03:49 PM »
Welcome to the forums wingnut!!!

I have never taken that much time off so it is tough for me to guess how long it might take you.  I bet if you get back into it you would be suprised hwo well you might be playing in a month from now if you get out a few times per week.

The one thing you have to do to start  is to keep everything simple.  No aiming for the lines, no fancy shots, just work on getting your timing and your strokes back.

In terms of getting back in to shape, I guess that depends on how long you let yourself go and how bad it got.  Need to shed 15-20 pounds, might not take a long as you think with a good diet and some good tennis. I would get out and do some runnign as well.  Get your legs use to that abuse again, ecause tennis will take it's toll.

I would do a lot of stretching as well.  No need to hurt yourself right off the bat.

Welcome back to the game!!!
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Canuckchuk

• Tennis Player
Re: old player want to begin again
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 11:27:43 PM »
Hi Wingnut

I too quit playing as a kid, and restarted just two years ago.  It took me a long time to feel comfortable again, but then my lay-off was a good fifty years.  Would be great to share experiences with you and others about our return to tennis.  I was disappointed that 518 people read your post, but only the post admin. answered.
I note that there are a lot of young adults on this board.  Surely there must be some senior people around.
Hoping to get some discussion going.
I am a true newbie: never posted on a bulletin board before. 
Cheers!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 12:18:18 AM »
Welcome to the forums.
I'm a little bit in your boat in that I didn't play for awhile, I was just really busy with the job.
Now to get in shape, I couldn't run for more than a block or 2 so I ran then walked till I caught my breath then ran again. In a few weeks I was in decent shape. Always get the OK from the doctor.
This is my first forum also and I learned alot already.
There's a video section with some good matches and on the main page there is some tennis tips to help you out some.
Good luck with your game!!

Offline LobNews

• Tennis Player
    • LobNews.com
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 01:59:38 AM »
welcome!  I would say just have fun!! and try and find a good teaching pro if you really want to get better.  :))
Advertise your tennis website FREE at www.LobNews.com . Tennis articles, news, links, and more!

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 07:56:09 AM »
Hi Wingnut

I too quit playing as a kid, and restarted just two years ago.  It took me a long time to feel comfortable again, but then my lay-off was a good fifty years.  Would be great to share experiences with you and others about our return to tennis.  I was disappointed that 518 people read your post, but only the post admin. answered.
I note that there are a lot of young adults on this board.  Surely there must be some senior people around.
Hoping to get some discussion going.
I am a true newbie: never posted on a bulletin board before. 
Cheers!

Welcome Canuckchuck!   :)    This is my first and only message board also.     If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.   ;-() :))

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 05:44:32 PM »
Welcome here Cannuckchuck. Another victim joins the madhosue  :whistle:

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 10:16:24 PM »
Welcome Wingnut. Have fun and don't be shy.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2007, 10:43:23 PM »

Yeah, don't be like that guy Djokovic. You really have to work to get him out of his shell.  :lmao:

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline Canuckchuk

• Tennis Player
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 12:21:55 AM »
thanks for comment about getting a teaching pro.  agree is a good idea, but i found the backboard to be very useful.  also practising second serves to the t and side lines helped a lot.
I am lucky to have a hitting partner who likes drills, such as crosscourt and down the line drills.
I play with a group of seniors who sure like to win, so we end up pushing our shots and hoping for the other to make a mistake.
My favourite player is Gonzales, since I love to give it a go with my forehand.
OMG who would listen to my drivel?
But .... I would like to hear about other older come-back players, and how tough or easy it is for them
Ciao

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2007, 05:06:09 AM »

You may want to check when his last post was  :whistle:

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2007, 10:33:01 PM »

I jinxed him I think  :(. Too funny  :rofl_2:
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 10:34:31 PM by Alex999 »

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2007, 11:42:30 PM »

I jinxed him I think  :(. Too funny  :rofl_2:

You are about 6 months or so too late to have jinxed him. He jinxed himself. ;-()

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2007, 06:25:06 AM »
Welcome Chuck!
I can relate to your comeback experience as I have left the game twice myself.  Once for 15 years and most recently for 3 years.  During those timeouts I usually managed to put on a quite a few pounds and each time I returned to the courts it was a bit painful.  From my experiences, I learned to come back slowly while having fun.  It's a great game, but it can also hurt if you over exert yourself to quickly.
Be sure and keep us up to date in your journal.  You'd be amazed at how many folks on this board will read and respond to your "drivel"! ;-()

Plenty of tennis lovers here, both young and old.  I found the whole message board concept at bit weird at first, but have since found plenty of great info here and even played some tennis with DMastous!

Have fun on the courts and I hope you stick around!
CONK da ball!!!