Author Topic: One of my Fave Pete Sampras Moments  (Read 21306 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline FreeBird

  • Tennis God
  • ******
  • Posts: 2271
  • Gender: Male
One of my Fave Pete Sampras Moments
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2007, 10:08:03 AM »
Quote from: "OSU Buckeye"
Quote from: "FreeBird"
Quote from: "Alison2006"
Fully agree Scott  :))  And some people say Pete was Boring  :whistle:  Check out the Fans reaction to them Dunks!!!


Yup, and some of those people will stick with those statements :whistle:  :whistle:  :whistle:

But I agree that those overheads are something else.  Really a shot of athletic wonder (see my comments in the "Evil Pete" thread).  

Greg


Allison is stealing my job!  I want to be the one busting you for calling Pete's game boring when we have this great thread full of Youtube clips of Petey doing his thang!!   Truly sweetness!   :uh:


You take *any* pro who played 5 years on tour, let alone 12 (or however many Pete played), and I'll bet you can put together 10 clips of any shot that make them out to be a tennis genius.  Cherry picking highlights doesn't prove anything.  Whether something is boring is largely a matter of personal taste, so there's definitely going to be disagreement on this issue.  But the core of Sampras' game - the part you see over and over and over - is the big serve, occasionally followed up with an easy volley.  Rarely you'll see tough, interesting points.  So, if you think watching a big serve exhibition is fun tennis, then more power to you.  But if it comes to wading through 3-4 Sampras matches to see a jump smash, I'll find better things to do with my time, and let someone put together a highlight reel for me :)

Greg
Good luck on the court is nice to have, but it's usually extraneous when playing against Baker.

Offline OSU Buckeye

  • The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • ******
  • Posts: 15107
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
One of my Fave Pete Sampras Moments
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2007, 10:23:18 AM »
Quote from: "FreeBird"
Quote from: "OSU Buckeye"
Quote from: "FreeBird"
Quote from: "Alison2006"
Fully agree Scott  :))  And some people say Pete was Boring  :whistle:  Check out the Fans reaction to them Dunks!!!


Yup, and some of those people will stick with those statements :whistle:  :whistle:  :whistle:

But I agree that those overheads are something else.  Really a shot of athletic wonder (see my comments in the "Evil Pete" thread).  

Greg


Allison is stealing my job!  I want to be the one busting you for calling Pete's game boring when we have this great thread full of Youtube clips of Petey doing his thang!!   Truly sweetness!   :uh:


You take *any* pro who played 5 years on tour, let alone 12 (or however many Pete played), and I'll bet you can put together 10 clips of any shot that make them out to be a tennis genius.  Cherry picking highlights doesn't prove anything.  Whether something is boring is largely a matter of personal taste, so there's definitely going to be disagreement on this issue.  But the core of Sampras' game - the part you see over and over and over - is the big serve, occasionally followed up with an easy volley.  Rarely you'll see tough, interesting points.  So, if you think watching a big serve exhibition is fun tennis, then more power to you.  But if it comes to wading through 3-4 Sampras matches to see a jump smash, I'll find better things to do with my time, and let someone put together a highlight reel for me :)

Greg



This issue is dead because we could go back and forth for a long while, and that I fear would be a waste of time!   ;-()

Offline Alison2006

  • Tennis God
  • ******
  • Posts: 3238
One of my Fave Pete Sampras Moments
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2007, 06:19:04 PM »
A collection of Pete's GS    :)  (for those interested   :\ )



Enjoy
I never thought he would win 4 French Opens - Roger Federer on Rafa

Offline FreeBird

  • Tennis God
  • ******
  • Posts: 2271
  • Gender: Male
One of my Fave Pete Sampras Moments
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2007, 10:05:37 AM »
Quote from: "Alison2006"
A collection of Pete's GS    :)  (for those interested   :\ )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX1e-nTcHlw

Enjoy


:::O

:)
Good luck on the court is nice to have, but it's usually extraneous when playing against Baker.

Offline OSU Buckeye

  • The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • ******
  • Posts: 15107
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
One of my Fave Pete Sampras Moments
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2007, 12:30:23 PM »
Quote from: "FreeBird"
Quote from: "Alison2006"
A collection of Pete's GS    :)  (for those interested   :\ )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX1e-nTcHlw

Enjoy


:::O

:)


You yawn at 14 Grand Slams???????   :;:-|

You are unbelievable!   ..-)

Offline FreeBird

  • Tennis God
  • ******
  • Posts: 2271
  • Gender: Male
One of my Fave Pete Sampras Moments
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2007, 12:50:43 PM »
Quote from: "OSU Buckeye"

You yawn at 14 Grand Slams???????   :;:-|

You are unbelievable!   ..-)


As my "evil Pete Sampras" post explains in detail, I yawn at the personality and game of the player who achieved the 14 Slams - not at the 14 Slams themselves, whatever that means.  Since you already pronounced the issue "dead", I'm surprised to find you taking potshots at me over it.  Perhaps you'd like to discuss the details of my position further?  I have plenty more to say on the subject, including thoughts on Sampras at the French and thoughts on big matchups (like Sampras-Agassi when Agassi was in form).  But with responses like "so there", "two words", and "this issue is dead", I didn't get the impression that anyone (other than Babble) found this a worthy topic.

Greg
Good luck on the court is nice to have, but it's usually extraneous when playing against Baker.

Offline OSU Buckeye

  • The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • ******
  • Posts: 15107
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
One of my Fave Pete Sampras Moments
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2007, 12:58:37 PM »
Quote from: "FreeBird"
Quote from: "OSU Buckeye"

You yawn at 14 Grand Slams???????   :;:-|

You are unbelievable!   ..-)


As my "evil Pete Sampras" post explains in detail, I yawn at the personality and game of the player who achieved the 14 Slams - not at the 14 Slams themselves, whatever that means.  Since you already pronounced the issue "dead", I'm surprised to find you taking potshots at me over it.  Perhaps you'd like to discuss the details of my position further?  I have plenty more to say on the subject, including thoughts on Sampras at the French and thoughts on big matchups (like Sampras-Agassi when Agassi was in form).  But with responses like "so there", "two words", and "this issue is dead", I didn't get the impression that anyone (other than Babble) found this a worthy topic.

Greg



My response was directed at yours of "yawning at the Youtube footage of the 14 GS's"!  Did you find the Youtube footage boring and yawnworthy (sweet word)????    I know we have already covered your opinion of Pete's game but what about 10 minutes of clippage (another sweet word)????  

I am curious about your opinions on the big matchups as you said???

Offline FreeBird

  • Tennis God
  • ******
  • Posts: 2271
  • Gender: Male
One of my Fave Pete Sampras Moments
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2007, 03:57:22 PM »
Quote from: "OSU Buckeye"

My response was directed at yours of "yawning at the Youtube footage of the 14 GS's"!  Did you find the Youtube footage boring and yawnworthy (sweet word)????    I know we have already covered your opinion of Pete's game but what about 10 minutes of clippage (another sweet word)????  

I am curious about your opinions on the big matchups as you said???


Ah, gotcha, I misunderstood (or just didn't understand) the direction of your response.  And I have to say I'm busted - I pictured in my mind that the vid was of the awards ceremonies, so I never watched it.  Oops.  Anyway, if it's highlights, then I'm guessing I will enjoy it, especially if they keep the aces to a minimum.  I appreciate people putting Sampras highlights together, because it's about the only way I can stomach him :)

I'll reply about my further Sampras thoughts on the Evil thread when I have time.

Greg
Good luck on the court is nice to have, but it's usually extraneous when playing against Baker.

Offline OSU Buckeye

  • The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • ******
  • Posts: 15107
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
One of my Fave Pete Sampras Moments
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2007, 03:59:19 PM »
Quote from: "FreeBird"
Quote from: "OSU Buckeye"

My response was directed at yours of "yawning at the Youtube footage of the 14 GS's"!  Did you find the Youtube footage boring and yawnworthy (sweet word)????    I know we have already covered your opinion of Pete's game but what about 10 minutes of clippage (another sweet word)????  

I am curious about your opinions on the big matchups as you said???


Ah, gotcha, I misunderstood (or just didn't understand) the direction of your response.  And I have to say I'm busted - I pictured in my mind that the vid was of the awards ceremonies, so I never watched it. Oops.  Anyway, if it's highlights, then I'm guessing I will enjoy it, especially if they keep the aces to a minimum.  I appreciate people putting Sampras highlights together, because it's about the only way I can stomach him :)

I'll reply about my further Sampras thoughts on the Evil thread when I have time.

Greg



I figured as much!  Slacker!   :)~

Offline Alison2006

  • Tennis God
  • ******
  • Posts: 3238
One of my Fave Pete Sampras Moments
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2007, 07:13:23 PM »
Just for you FreeBird: Pete's 4 Aces in a row  :)~   Enjoy
I never thought he would win 4 French Opens - Roger Federer on Rafa

Offline Tennis4you

  • Administrator
  • Tennis God
  • ******
  • Posts: 24878
  • Gender: Male
    • Tennis4you
One of my Fave Pete Sampras Moments
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2007, 07:46:12 PM »
Nice!  I thought he opened up the finals against Chang one year at the US Open with 3 or 4 aces as well.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Alison2006

  • Tennis God
  • ******
  • Posts: 3238
One of my Fave Pete Sampras Moments
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2007, 08:01:08 PM »
Hi Scott I cannot find clip of that, but here is a clip of Sampras V Chang US Open 1993

Some great volleys and returns from Pete and of course 2nd serve... Enjoy
I never thought he would win 4 French Opens - Roger Federer on Rafa

Offline FreeBird

  • Tennis God
  • ******
  • Posts: 2271
  • Gender: Male
One of my Fave Pete Sampras Moments
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2007, 08:05:36 PM »
Quote from: "Alison2006"
Just for you FreeBird: Pete's 4 Aces in a row  :)~   Enjoy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iAtfgVmkxM


Now I  need to check:  Buckeye, is it OK for me to yawn at this one????   :)~
Good luck on the court is nice to have, but it's usually extraneous when playing against Baker.

Offline Alison2006

  • Tennis God
  • ******
  • Posts: 3238
One of my Fave Pete Sampras Moments
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2007, 08:19:57 PM »
Quote from: "FreeBird"
Quote from: "Alison2006"
Just for you FreeBird: Pete's 4 Aces in a row  :)~   Enjoy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iAtfgVmkxM


Now I  need to check:  Buckeye, is it OK for me to yawn at this one????   :)~


Now Now FreeBird...Just enjoy some great Aces from Pete, put your feet up and grab a drink and enjoy  :)~
Also check out my other clip of some Great returns, and volleys from Pete...he was not just a Great Serve
On the topic of Serves every player male or female would love a Great serve/2nd serve to close out a match.. Pete had this  so please enjoy FreeBird  :)
I never thought he would win 4 French Opens - Roger Federer on Rafa

Offline FreeBird

  • Tennis God
  • ******
  • Posts: 2271
  • Gender: Male
One of my Fave Pete Sampras Moments
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2007, 12:08:00 AM »
Quote from: "Alison2006"
Quote from: "FreeBird"
Quote from: "Alison2006"
Just for you FreeBird: Pete's 4 Aces in a row  :)~   Enjoy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iAtfgVmkxM


Now I  need to check:  Buckeye, is it OK for me to yawn at this one????   :)~


Now Now FreeBird...Just enjoy some great Aces from Pete, put your feet up and grab a drink and enjoy  :)~
Also check out my other clip of some Great returns, and volleys from Pete...he was not just a Great Serve
On the topic of Serves every player male or female would love a Great serve/2nd serve to close out a match.. Pete had this  so please enjoy FreeBird  :)


LOL!  I'll grab a cold one to calm my nerves before I watch Placid Pete putting people away....

:)
Good luck on the court is nice to have, but it's usually extraneous when playing against Baker.

Offline OSU Buckeye

  • The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • ******
  • Posts: 15107
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
One of my Fave Pete Sampras Moments
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2007, 08:02:25 AM »
Good stuff!  I am glad the pot is being stirred with regularity!  We wouldn't want the stew to get that gross layer on the top!?!?!?!?!?

Offline Alison2006

  • Tennis God
  • ******
  • Posts: 3238
One of my Fave Pete Sampras Moments
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2007, 04:01:32 PM »
A nice Tribute clip of the Great man........ :))    :whistle:

Part One:

I never thought he would win 4 French Opens - Roger Federer on Rafa

Offline OSU Buckeye

  • The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • ******
  • Posts: 15107
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
One of my Fave Pete Sampras Moments
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2007, 02:17:30 PM »
Even more:    check out this play!   :uh:


Offline Alison2006

  • Tennis God
  • ******
  • Posts: 3238
One of my Fave Pete Sampras Moments
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2007, 04:59:26 PM »
Quote from: "OSU Buckeye"
Even more:    check out this play!   :uh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW0wf-51lxI&mode=related&search=


Thanks OSU... Pity Pete didn't win the point after that .......
I never thought he would win 4 French Opens - Roger Federer on Rafa

Offline OSU Buckeye

  • The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • ******
  • Posts: 15107
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
One of my Fave Pete Sampras Moments
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2007, 07:39:29 AM »
Quote from: "Alison2006"
Quote from: "OSU Buckeye"
Even more:    check out this play!   :uh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW0wf-51lxI&mode=related&search=


Thanks OSU... Pity Pete didn't win the point after that .......



It was kind of hard to tell but the ball did go wide didn't it!