Author Topic: Safina downs Mauresmo  (Read 1264 times)

Offline Arcforce

• Tennis God
Safina downs Mauresmo
« on: February 13, 2005, 10:50:55 AM »
Wow...am I the only one in shock about this one?

PARIS (AP) _ Dinara Safina of Russia beat second-seeded Amelie Mauresmo of France 6-4, 2-6, 6-3 to win the Open Gaz de France on Sunday.

Safina, the sister of two-time Grand Slam winner Marat Safin, clinched her third WTA career title following wins at Palermo in 2003 and Sopot in 2002.

Mauresmo, who won here in 2001, finished second for the third time.

``She took her chances and was more solid than me,'' Mauresmo said. ``I had a lot of chances to break in the first set but she finished by coming out on top. I didn't play my best, but that's the way it goes.''

Down 2-1 in the final set, Mauresmo saved one break point with a booming serve but then hit a wild forehand long. Safina won the game, then went up 5-1.

Mauresmo rallied, breaking Safina and holding easily to get to 5-3. But Safina went ahead 40-15 serving for the match, and clinched the championship with an overhead smash Mauresmo was unable to return.

I always thought Mauresmo was weak and very vulnerable but I can't believe she'd lose to such a lesser player. I figured Safina would give her trouble bC I'd heard she was a big hitter. Good win for her tho -- I hope she continues to break through

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Safina downs Mauresmo
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2005, 11:00:08 AM »
Wow, bad loss for Mauresmo!  I would of never guessed that.  Looks like the Safin's are doing well!
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Hoytie

• Tennis God
  • My British Blue Shorthair, Joshua, a Tennis Fan.
Safina downs Mauresmo
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2005, 10:20:17 AM »
I was shocked about the outcome of this match, too.  Amelie should not lose to such a player.  So much for Y. Noah's help.

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
Safina downs Mauresmo
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2005, 09:37:22 AM »
It looks like Safins trash talk after the Aussie Open helped.   I always found Safina overrated, and thought her attention was only due to her big brothers ability.   Maybe she will prove me wrong this year though.

Offline SerenasBiggestFan

• Tennis God
  • "Oh Eddy, is it, is it a bee?" Patsy Stone
Safina downs Mauresmo
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2005, 12:00:28 PM »
I'm a big Safin fan, but I've never liked Safina. I think Serena giving Safina the Walkover helped Safina

Mauresmo has a tendecy to get nervious, although at that event I don't know why--its not a slam

"I was so caught up in the moment... now your just a memory burning in my mind..."

Offline Tennis Freak

• Tennis Enthusiast
Safina downs Mauresmo
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2005, 01:33:42 PM »
This is a match that thoroughly suprised me too.  Mauresmo's new coach appears to be heading her in the wrong direction.  Even though it is early in their work together I can not imagine that she will turn around and dominate women's tennis.  This is a career move that she should have considered making years ago.

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
Safina downs Mauresmo
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2005, 05:37:40 PM »
I have never thought Mauresmo was that talented.   I have stated many times I have seen a badly struggling Serena or Venus beat a totally in-tune Mauresmo in the 3rd set before; I have seen a very in-form Serena humiliate Mauresmo before, I have seen Clijsters, Henin, and Davenport, bully her around; I see obvious weaknesses in her game, and while I see very good areas, I see no spectacular area.   I also see no slam finals since Aussie 99 6 years ago.   WAY OVERRATED!    Thank goodness the Russians are coming up now.   She should be out of the top 5 soon.