Author Topic: Please help with my serve.  (Read 1881 times)

Offline POGO

• Tennis Player
Please help with my serve.
« on: February 13, 2005, 11:14:18 AM »
I can't seem to serve with any power/speed.  Please look at my serve click here

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2005, 11:27:49 AM »
Nice video yo!  I wish more people had the ability to do that, myself included!!!

Some thoughts after watching you serve about 30 times  :)

1.  You do not have much of a knee bend.  Overall your body did not seem to do much of the work at all, looks like you are relying on your arm to do most of the serve.  Your weight transfer is OK in theory, but it seems to be lacking some serious energy.  

2.  Your  lower body had no torque in it.  You just gradually opened up as you went to hit the ball.  I try to stay coiled a little longer and allow my lower body to turn my shoulders and body more rapidly for a bigger impact.

3.  You are swinging very softly, and refer back to item 1, your arm is doing all the work...  

4.  Grip, I could not tell what grip you were using.

5.  Ball toss could be a little more out in front if you want more power.  Maybe try 6-12" and see what happens...  Maybe 12" is too extreme.  But something to get a more serious weight transfer into the court.  

Overall it looked OK, just not much power from any part of your body.  More legs, more lower body, stay coiled a little longer, swing a little harder.  But what I see it looks like you are hitting a topspin serve, I assume your serves bounce sorta high (not low sliders)?

I am curious to see McIll's thoughts on this one.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Arcforce

• Tennis God
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2005, 11:31:51 AM »
Not that I'd be much help giving advice -- but I couldn't get the vid to load for some reason :(

Offline POGO

• Tennis Player
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2005, 12:19:45 PM »
Quote from: "Tennis4you"
Nice video yo!  I wish more people had the ability to do that, myself included!!!

Some thoughts after watching you serve about 30 times  :)

1.  You do not have much of a knee bend.  Overall your body did not seem to do much of the work at all, looks like you are relying on your arm to do most of the serve.  Your weight transfer is OK in theory, but it seems to be lacking some serious energy.  

2.  Your  lower body had no torque in it.  You just gradually opened up as you went to hit the ball.  I try to stay coiled a little longer and allow my lower body to turn my shoulders and body more rapidly for a bigger impact.

3.  You are swinging very softly, and refer back to item 1, your arm is doing all the work...  

4.  Grip, I could not tell what grip you were using.

5.  Ball toss could be a little more out in front if you want more power.  Maybe try 6-12" and see what happens...  Maybe 12" is too extreme.  But something to get a more serious weight transfer into the court.  

Overall it looked OK, just not much power from any part of your body.  More legs, more lower body, stay coiled a little longer, swing a little harder.  But what I see it looks like you are hitting a topspin serve, I assume your serves bounce sorta high (not low sliders)?

I am curious to see McIll's thoughts on this one.

Thanks for your advice.  Yes, I feel I'm using the arm more with my serve.  I'm using a continetal grip.  Someone also told me that my wrist is too loose and I have a waiter's wrists.  do you see this also?  I just stared playing tennis 7 months ago, and I was rated as 3.0.  

I'm able to get all my serves in with consistancy, but lacks any power.  I do have spin on my serves though, slice and kick.

Yes, in that video I was trying to hit a flat, but they seem to bounce high.  I can hit with spin serves with no problem, but I have problems with hitting flat serves.

Offline POGO

• Tennis Player
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2005, 12:20:41 PM »
Quote from: "Arcforce"
Not that I'd be much help giving advice -- but I couldn't get the vid to load for some reason :(
You need quicktime to view the file.  You can get quicktime at www.apple.com  It is free.  They have a windows version to download.

Offline MC ill Logic

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2005, 12:32:24 PM »
What Scott said.  

Plus...
Your motion is not bad, but to me, this, the above, is where your service motion "goes wrong."  The motion for hitting a serve is very much like the motion used for throwing a football or baseball, but instead of throwing the racket it's more like you're reaching up to give somebody a high five.  Like when somebody's throwing a baseball, they may hold the ball up near their ear while deciding where to throw, but once they commit their elbow jerks forward as they cock the ball back for the throw.  I don't think you're doing that.  Your serve is a pretty continuous fluid motion but I actually think you need to get your racket up in the air quicker, instead of letting it hang, and let it wait there motionless for a fraction, then really recoil it before the swing.

Toss the ball a bit more out in front.  At the point of contact you should be sort of leaning into the court, like the leaning tower of pisa.  Right now, you're reaching straight up.  Which is fine for a kick serve, but you're not arching back really so I'm ruling that out.

Offline MC ill Logic

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2005, 12:37:51 PM »
One more thing... So go out and throw some fastballs.  Don't blow your arm out but throw a ball as hard as you can into a fence or something.  I bet your arm moves a lot faster than it does when you're serving.  Well, imagine using that same speed and motion for your serve.  Really throw that racket.  

I think what I suggested above will help, pausing the racket a bit, the way Roddick does.  Get into that trophy pose.  Keep that tossing arm in the air maybe just a bit longer, and pause the racket above your head, and really EXPLODE back into motion, almost like you want the racket to fly out of your hand.  

Break that motion up.

Offline POGO

• Tennis Player
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2005, 12:44:19 PM »
MC ill Logic,

Thanks!!!!!  I never realized that the serving motion was like throwing a football or baseball.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2005, 12:45:17 PM »
Nice McIll.  Sounds like we are seeing the same things.  I like the fast ball idea.  And when you swing that hard with the racquet and the ball goes out, try adding some more spin.

Check out my boy Pete in this image below and see how much more of his body he uses and then comapre to yours...  Heck, we should all do that right now.  :)

Also note how much further into the court he is when he lands, his toss is out further and his waist is coiled longer.  

Scott Baker

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2005, 12:47:11 PM »
I would also like to add that for a 3.0 player who has only played for 7 months your service motion is VERY smooth.  Keep practicing it and it might end up being a nice weapon in your tennis arsenal!
Scott Baker

Offline MC ill Logic

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2005, 12:57:12 PM »
I'd like to point out that what I'm suggesting to you -- and you could totally choose not to follow the suggestion and still develop a better serve -- is not what Sampras does, as far as the "pause" goes.  His is a fluid, pretty non-stop motion.

He manages to get his elbow going forward and his racket back, 2 things you aren't doing right now.  You do get the racket to coil back but by cocking the wrist, and NOT by getting the elbow up and moving forward.  

ALSO, you open up your shoulders too early.  Keep your body sideways longer.  Imagine a javelin thrower and how they're completely sideways when they pull back for the throw.  

Scott's right.  Your serve is amazingly fluid for somebody who's only played for 7 months.  You're a natural.  But, still, address those technically flaws now rather than later.  Probably not fair to use Sampras' serve - perhaps the greatest ever - as the standard by which judge but, hey, you asked for it.   :)~

Offline MC ill Logic

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2005, 12:58:42 PM »
Quote from: "POGO"
MC ill Logic,

Thanks!!!!!  I never realized that the serving motion was like throwing a football or baseball.
Yeah, some pros warm up their service motion by tossing a football around.  I think this is how Chris Woodruff ended up getting injured.  Hehe.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2005, 12:59:19 PM »
You are right, maybe I need to post mine, lol.  :)
Scott Baker

Offline POGO

• Tennis Player
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2005, 01:15:55 PM »
Thank you Scott, and MC ill Logic,

You both are giving me some great advice, and pointed out what I need to work on.  Which helps narrowing down what to focus on.  

I got introduced to tennis as part of a weight lost regiment.  Since playing tennis, I've lost 30 lbs.  Now, I fell in love with tennis, and I don't even think about the weigth lost anymore.  It just happens now.  I play about 4 times a week.

Thanks again!!!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2005, 01:22:33 PM »
30 pounds!  U are the man!  

Always feel free to come here for advise, heck, I hope you stick around and chat up some tennis with us!
Scott Baker

Offline MC ill Logic

• Tennis God
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2005, 01:26:35 PM »
Quote from: "POGO"
Thank you Scott, and MC ill Logic,

You both are giving me some great advice, and pointed out what I need to work on.  Which helps narrowing down what to focus on.  

I got introduced to tennis as part of a weight lost regiment.  Since playing tennis, I've lost 30 lbs.  Now, I fell in love with tennis, and I don't even think about the weigth lost anymore.  It just happens now.  I play about 4 times a week.

Thanks again!!!
You bastard!  I need to lose about 40 pounds myself.  If I were really ambitious, I'd get into really good tennis shape and try to lose 60 pounds (I'm 218, 5'11").  That alone would improve my game by 15 to 20%.  

Funny enough, I'm starving right now and I'll probably eat something bad for me...