Off to another slow start to the new year. A film I'd been looking forward to seeing for 3 years--Fay Grim--was in and out of the theaters while I was in Italy.
in order by rank
1. SiCKO -- excellent stuff; Michael Moore is a hoot (viva la France!
2. The Page Turner (La Tourneuse de Pages) -- very subtle psychological thriller. Excellent.
3. The Namesake--Indian (Asia) film, only some subtitles. A bit contrived but occasionally tugs at the heartstrings and provides enough laughs (stars Kumar from "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle"). Overall enjoyable.
4. Black Sheep -- a horrible knock-off of "Sean of the Dead" except sheep replace zombies.
5. Something like "Avenue de Madeline" (French Film) It was a contrived, cutesy, Amelie-wannabe flop. I'd advise you not to see it. Splitting hairs to say it was "worse" than Black Sheep.