Author Topic: helena sukova underrated??  (Read 1233 times)

Offline david

• Tennis Player
helena sukova underrated??
« on: February 14, 2005, 09:03:47 AM »
i was looking at helenas results from the 80s and realized she was the one who ended navritalovas 74 match run in 84 or something, she also beat her in a couple of grand slams, and chris evert too.  she was a singles grand slam finalist 4 times, and in 93 us open was in all 3 finals, winning two of them, but for the evert, navratilova graf era could she have been the dominent force?

Offline Tennis Freak

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2005, 11:38:22 AM »
I have never even heard her name before.  The question that begs to be asked is how did she do on a regular basis and against regular players.  We she consistant?  Or did she only play well here and there?  Can you find out what her highest ranking ever was on the WTA?

Offline timd818

• Tennis God
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2005, 11:43:59 AM »
She's the female version of Tim Henman. Very smooth strokes and has the potential to beat the best of them, but can't seem to put together a good slam run. I think her problems were that she isn't that quick and she's a little bit too passive, but her game is nice to watch, same with Hana Manlikova. Hana did better because she acutally won a few slams. Back in the 80's, I think the worst/ugliest one to watch was Pam Shriver. Anyone ever seen a tennis playing duck?
I've been a tennis bum for half my life.
I'll just be a bum for the other half.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2005, 11:46:48 AM »
LOL, I never saw he play, now I need a video clip!
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline timd818

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2005, 11:54:10 AM »
Quote from: "Tennis4you"
LOL, I never saw he play, now I need a video clip!

She  :whistle:
Pam is Martina's dub partner. I think those two are the greatest dub ever. They won like 109 matches in a row.
I've been a tennis bum for half my life.
I'll just be a bum for the other half.

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2005, 09:05:49 AM »
I think she is underrated.   She beat many greats in slams, but then always had to beat another great and it was too much for her in the end.   She is one of the best not to win a slam for sure.    It is so sad she did not win the 90 Australian semi with Graf which was so close, that was her chance, but she choked in the last couple games.    Had she not been in an era with so many all-time greats I dont believe she would have dominated, she is not that great, but she would have won some slams for sure.