Belgium
0 (0%)
Germany
0 (0%)
Sweden
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: April 06, 2007, 02:24:30 AM

Author Topic: Who will win the Davis Cup?  (Read 2896 times)

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
  • Historically, still the best team in England! >>
Who will win the Davis Cup?
« on: April 06, 2007, 02:24:30 AM »
Who do you think will win this years Davis Cup? Here are some options for you to choose from. I'm saying Russia, riskily.

Offline John Mcenroe

• Tennis God
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 05:00:17 AM »
Of course russia!!!!

They have too many overall good people!!!

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 10:05:54 AM »
Looking interesting now with Russia 1 down! Youzhny about to grab 1 back though.

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 02:09:24 PM »
It is about time the U.S did it.   If they cant do it this year fire P Mac.   He annoys the hell out of me.    He is so braggerdly about being Davis Cup captain when a team that has powerhouse players like Roddick, for a bit Blake(meaning for a bit he could have been termed that), for a bit Agassi, and the best doubles team in the world; in addition to Federer not really that into Davis Cup the last 4 years, and he still has won squat.

Offline FreeBird

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 03:57:31 PM »
Quote from: "kittens25"
It is about time the U.S did it.   If they cant do it this year fire P Mac.   He annoys the hell out of me.    He is so braggerdly about being Davis Cup captain when a team that has powerhouse players like Roddick, for a bit Blake(meaning for a bit he could have been termed that), for a bit Agassi, and the best doubles team in the world; in addition to Federer not really that into Davis Cup the last 4 years, and he still has won squat.

Interesting comments.  Seems to me the only "bad" loss the US has had under P-Mac is their 95 home loss to Croatia, with Agassi, Roddick, and the Bryans.  All the others have been either when missing an important player/element or played on clay.  And yeah, I don't think it's fair to expect P-Mac to work miracles and turn Roddick and Blake into clay court players - they pretty much stink on it (especially Blake), and that's certainly been the undoing of the DC team most of the time.

As far as P-Mac being braggardly, I don't see that at all.  When it's brought up while he's commentating, it's usually by Drysdale, and P-Mac usually keeps it on a topic about the player, not on himself.  In general, P-Mac doesn't seem like the type to be overly boastful to me.

Greg
Good luck on the court is nice to have, but it's usually extraneous when playing against Baker.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 07:52:37 PM »
Yeah, Russia is the most versatile of the bunch and has the best overall players - Davydenko is good for any surface, Safin is amazing when he wants to be, Youzhny is being amazing on hard courts lately - Andreev, Tursunov and Safin are solid doubles players..
and US still can't overcome clay courts. .

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 08:36:38 PM »
Quote from: "pawan89"
Yeah, Russia is the most versatile of the bunch and has the best overall players - Davydenko is good for any surface, Safin is amazing when he wants to be, Youzhny is being amazing on hard courts lately - Andreev, Tursunov and Safin are solid doubles players..

Well, I'm going to say it's the USA's year.  I wish Switzerland had been in it...but since they are not... I'm pulling for the USA.  Russia's great, but Davydenko lost today so they are not invinsible!

Offline John Mcenroe

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 11:07:39 PM »
Quote from: "Dallas"
Quote from: "pawan89"

Well, I'm going to say it's the USA's year.  I wish Switzerland had been in it...but since they are not... I'm pulling for the USA.  Russia's great, but Davydenko lost today so they are not invinsible!

If they had Safin they would been good.... ;>)

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 08:25:46 AM »
Quote from: "FreeBird"
Quote from: "kittens25"

Interesting comments.  Seems to me the only "bad" loss the US has had under P-Mac is their 95 home loss to Croatia, with Agassi, Roddick, and the Bryans.  All the others have been either when missing an important player/element or played on clay.  And yeah, I don't think it's fair to expect P-Mac to work miracles and turn Roddick and Blake into clay court players - they pretty much stink on it (especially Blake), and that's certainly been the undoing of the DC team most of the time.

As far as P-Mac being braggardly, I don't see that at all.  When it's brought up while he's commentating, it's usually by Drysdale, and P-Mac usually keeps it on a topic about the player, not on himself.  In general, P-Mac doesn't seem like the type to be overly boastful to me.

Greg

I wanted to jump in on this original comment as well but I see that the Bird has said almost exactly what I was thinking so I have nothing to add!     Well said Bird!   :)

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 08:54:52 AM »
On the official Davis Cup website, Sweden have got most votes for who's going to win!