Author Topic: Clijsters' comeback begins on a successful note  (Read 942 times)

Offline SerenasBiggestFan

• Tennis God
  • "Oh Eddy, is it, is it a bee?" Patsy Stone
Clijsters' comeback begins on a successful note
« on: February 15, 2005, 03:48:27 PM »

ANTWERP, Belgium (AP) -- Former No. 1 Kim Clijsters beat Jelena Kostanic of Croatia 6-2, 6-3 in the Diamond Games on Tuesday in her first match in four months.

Clijsters said the left wrist injury that sidelined her in 2004 did not bother her as she opened the defense of her hometown title.

``So far, so good,'' Clijsters told the crowd of more than 10,000. ``I had good backhands, not always perfect ones, but that is to be expected at this point. I hope all will go better now.''

The Belgian star expects a tougher match against fifth-seeded Nadia Petrova on Wednesday.

``Petrova serves very well and moves quicker, too,'' Clijsters said.

Petrova defeated Anabel Medina Garrigues of Spain 6-4, 6-1 in the first round, but two other seeded players were eliminated. No. 6 Nathalie Dechy, a semifinalist at the Australian Open, lost to Klara Koukalova of the Czech Republic 7-6 (7), 6-4, while No. 8 Karolina Sprem was beaten by Anna Chakvetadze of Russia 7-5, 6-3.

In other first-round matches, Camille Pin of France defeated Marta Marrero of Spain 6-1, 6-2, Virginie Razzano of France downed Ana Ivanovic of Serbia-Montenegro 6-3, 2-6, 6-3, and Katarina Srebotnik of Slovakia beat Maria Elena Camerin of Italy 3-6, 6-2, 6-4.

RESULTS

First Round
Nadia Petrova (5) def. Anabel Medina Garrigues, 6-4, 6-1
Klara Koukalova def. Nathalie Dechy (6), 7-6 (9-7), 6-4
Anna Chakvetadze def. Karolina Sprem (8), 7-5, 6-3
Kim Clijsters def. Jelena Kostanic, 6-2, 6-3
Katarina Srebotnik def. Maria Camerin, 3-6, 6-2, 6-4
Virginie Razzano def. Ana Ivanovic, 6-3, 2-6, 6-3
Camille Pin def. Marta Marrero, 6-1, 6-2
Mary Pierce def. Iveta Benesova, 6-2, 6-1

Belgium's Kim Clijsters celebrates after winning her match over Croatia's Jelena Kostanic at the WTA Proximus Diamond Games tournament, in Antwerp, February 15, 2005. Clijsters made her comeback after a wrist injury grounded her for four months. Clijsters won 6-2 6-3.

"I was so caught up in the moment... now your just a memory burning in my mind..."

Offline Arcforce

• Tennis God
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2005, 05:31:39 PM »
Isn't Ana Ivanic the girl who won the qualifying tournament only to lose in the first round? That's gotta be frustrating...to make it through so many matches only to lose in your FIRST match in the maindraw. :( She's the young one we were talking about earlier, tho, right? Possibly lots of gr8 stuff to come for her.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2005, 08:18:57 PM »
So good to see Kim back.  I hope she gets back in tip top form!!!
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline SerenasBiggestFan

• Tennis God
  • "Oh Eddy, is it, is it a bee?" Patsy Stone
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2005, 08:22:38 PM »
this was posted on another message board, I assume they seen her match LIVE or it was on television

she played very well, very agressive. ok, you can see that's she's been out for quite some time, but if she can continue like this, she'll be back in no time.-- nele

http://tennisfan1.proboards33.com/index.cgi?board=generals&action=display&num=1108500305

"I was so caught up in the moment... now your just a memory burning in my mind..."