Author Topic: Tennis Shoes  (Read 9766 times)

Offline TrueFX

• Tennis Player
Tennis Shoes
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2007, 08:13:10 PM »
pawan, if what you're doing works, don't change it.  Others are just commenting to the original poster that running shoes don't generally last as long as tennis.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Tennis Shoes
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2007, 08:15:39 PM »
Quote from: "TrueFX"
pawan, if what you're doing works, don't change it.  Others are just commenting to the original poster that running shoes don't generally last as long as tennis.

The one thing I never liked about running shoes is that it felt like a greater impact on my foot when I came down from a high jump or something.  Less sole on the bottom.  But I do love running shoes for everything but tennis.  I hate wearing my tennis shoes outside of the tennis court.  They are no where near as comfortable as running shoes.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline LonelySgtPepper

• Tennis Player
Tennis Shoes
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2007, 09:52:05 PM »
I Play High School Tennis, So I Play 3 to 4 Hours A Day....And My Nike's Are Holding Up Pretty Well I've Only Had Em' Like 2 Weeks Though.....I played in samba's once and it almost killed me
Why So Serious?

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
Tennis Shoes
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2007, 09:04:22 AM »
Quote from: "pawan89"
looks like I am an outlier here. I am not big like you are OSU but I am not small either and I do weigh more than I am supposed to - especially last winter/spring I somehow shot up to 170lbs and was like WOAH! I don't know why all of  a sudden I just like doubled my weight but  Iwent down to 150 after the summer ( i am sure playing 3 hours everyday had something to do with it). I'm currently still at 145-150 and plan to be below 140 end of this summer.

But regardless of all that - all of you are saying you wore out tennis shoes in a matter of hours, I don't see how they last me at least two summers (6 months). I mean even if I am playing less intense tennis than you OSU (and seeing how in general shorter people run around and move around a lot more than big people) I don't see how the difference is that drastic.
and as I said this is not like one shoe that was odd for me - every shoe is like that. another shoe for example three years back i used through the year - it was my only shoe so i used it for cross country running, my highschool tennis season (which is not at all as intense as my summers) and my summer tennis and everything in between like everyday usage and winter times and such.

so something is clearly confusing.

maybe i'll give tennis shoes a second shot?

My tennis shoes last me about 3-4 months on average.......they last longer if I am playing indoor and not as long if I am playing on outdoor hard courts!     I can pretty much go through any 6 month gaurantee in about 4 months and get myself a second pair for free.

Offline boatsign

• Tennis Enthusiast
Tennis Shoes
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2007, 01:01:08 PM »
Size:  do you like to wear 2 pair of socks and get a larger size?

My feet measure 8 1/2, but I wear 9.  

Don't really know about what's best, because for weeks of hiking I used to wear a 10.

Both my big toes get blood blisters under the nail from tennis.  Anybody else have similar "issues"?

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
Tennis Shoes
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2007, 01:08:46 PM »
Quote from: "boatsign"

Don't really know about what's best, because for weeks of hiking I used to wear a 10.

Both my big toes get blood blisters under the nail from tennis.  Anybody else have similar "issues"?

With my current shoes, once they are truly broken in, I wear 2 pair of socks.   Both of my big toe nails are darkened at the corner due to constant slamming into the front of the shoe!   :(

Offline FreeBird

• Tennis God
Tennis Shoes
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2007, 01:22:21 PM »

Hey Boatsign,
I've had blood blisters under the nail of my left big toe, caused exclusively by tennis - and it doesn't surprise me that you have them as well, given that you're using a larger size.  I don't remember who explained it to me, but it certainly fits my experience:  if your shoes are too big, when you plant suddenly to move backwards (say when someone hits a good lob when you're at the net), your big toe will smash into the toe of the shoe, because the shoe isn't snug enough on your foot (in your case and in mine, because the size of the shoe is too big).  So if you're set on using shoes that are big, the 2 pairs of socks is a good idea, and also just making sure that the shoes are on as snugly as possible (so that your foot doesn't move around inside the shoe).  Better would probably be to get shoes of the proper size.  I know that when I heeded the advise that the problems are caused by the shoe not being snug enough, my problems went away.

Greg
Good luck on the court is nice to have, but it's usually extraneous when playing against Baker.

Offline ERHS

• Tennis Addict
Tennis Shoes
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2007, 01:42:45 PM »

Yep! OMG, you're just like me. Size 9, double thick socks, same kind. Blisters on the big toe. Only difference I have my blisters on the sides of my big toes or as I call them my thumbs.

Offline Nardo

• New Poster
Re: Tennis Shoes
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2008, 03:03:22 PM »
I know this is an old thread, but I figured I should mention that I used to use running shoes 20 years ago to play paddleball (same shoe requirements as tennis) and had no problems, BUT it's true that running shoes are made differently in every way and the rubber is less dense.

As for whether tennis shoes are better for your ankle, that's the common belief and I'll go along with that, but I have to admit that I'm not 100% convinced. Tennis shoes provide more ankle support, meaning that they make it harder to rock your ankle sideways, but they also provide less padding than running shoes which puts more pressure on your joints, tendons, etc. with every step. And when a tennis shoe tilts to a certain point, you're teetering on the rounded edge of the shoe, but with a running shoe the sole may still be flat on the ground.

And remember, there are cross trainers. If you're bold enough to choose a shoe that's not made for your sport, then go with cross trainers. They're less stiff and more padded than tennis shoes, but they're more durable, supportive, and have more traction than running shoes. That's what I'm considering buying. I'm even looking for a more flexible than average cross trainer, but I won't take a chance on running shoes any more.

I think the cross trainer that's most like a running shoe is the Nike Air Edge Essential. Unfortunately, the one that's part red didn't look good in person and I can't find the other colors in stores. I may mail order it.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 03:04:41 PM by Nardo »

Offline Nardo

• New Poster
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2008, 10:04:21 PM »
Just when I thought that all cross trainers and tennis shoes feel tight in the toe area, I discovered the K-Swiss Contestor. Unfortunately, it uses smooth plastic loops for most of the lace holes so it's actually hard to make it tight enough because the padding pushes the laces out, but it's the only tennis shoe that gave me enough room for my toes.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2008, 05:14:15 PM »
I know this is an old thread, but I figured I should mention that I used to use running shoes 20 years ago to play paddleball (same shoe requirements as tennis) and had no problems, BUT it's true that running shoes are made differently in every way and the rubber is less dense.

As for whether tennis shoes are better for your ankle, that's the common belief and I'll go along with that, but I have to admit that I'm not 100% convinced. Tennis shoes provide more ankle support, meaning that they make it harder to rock your ankle sideways, but they also provide less padding than running shoes which puts more pressure on your joints, tendons, etc. with every step. And when a tennis shoe tilts to a certain point, you're teetering on the rounded edge of the shoe, but with a running shoe the sole may still be flat on the ground.

And remember, there are cross trainers. If you're bold enough to choose a shoe that's not made for your sport, then go with cross trainers. They're less stiff and more padded than tennis shoes, but they're more durable, supportive, and have more traction than running shoes. That's what I'm considering buying. I'm even looking for a more flexible than average cross trainer, but I won't take a chance on running shoes any more.

I think the cross trainer that's most like a running shoe is the Nike Air Edge Essential. Unfortunately, the one that's part red didn't look good in person and I can't find the other colors in stores. I may mail order it.

Good thoughts.  I have recently debated just strapping bricks to my feet for their good durability  :)

I love wearing running shoes for tennis, far more comfortable.  They just do not make it past match one without being destroyed.
Scott Baker

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2008, 05:36:16 PM »

Good thoughts.  I have recently debated just strapping bricks to my feet for their good durability  :)

I love wearing running shoes for tennis, far more comfortable.  They just do not make it past match one without being destroyed.

I think you'd have small problem with stability.  :whistle:

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline LindaJ

• Tennis Player
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2008, 07:23:17 PM »
Nike models often don't seem to fit me right!  Can't understand it because I grew up in Beaverton!   :))

Recently I've been happy with Prince and Head.  I don't play hard enough to wear them out quickly, though.
Linda
Oregon

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2008, 07:56:05 PM »
I used to wear Nike until I found New Balance.  I think it is time I test other shoes though for durability.
Scott Baker

Offline mdshahid20

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2008, 01:04:40 AM »
hmm idk how much barricade 2s are in england but its not gonna be much more than 80 dollars. i think you should just pay the extra bit for the barricades. i was a bit hesitant about it at first and they were a bit heavy, but after i got used to them, i've found they offer great maneuverability & durability esp. on hard courts. i normally wear out my outsoles real quick but my barricades have lasted well over 4 months now and the outsoles look practically brand new. plus they look pretty cool.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2008, 07:57:41 PM »
hmm idk how much barricade 2s are in england but its not gonna be much more than 80 dollars. i think you should just pay the extra bit for the barricades. i was a bit hesitant about it at first and they were a bit heavy, but after i got used to them, i've found they offer great maneuverability & durability esp. on hard courts. i normally wear out my outsoles real quick but my barricades have lasted well over 4 months now and the outsoles look practically brand new. plus they look pretty cool.

I am not sure how much it'll help your tennis  :)~ but I can attest to the factors mentioned. I was half considering it too. Only half.

Offline John Mcenroe

• Tennis God
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2008, 11:58:19 PM »
I wear the barricade 4!!!!!

Offline The-Raw-Edge

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2008, 10:31:22 AM »
I used to wear Nike until I found New Balance.  I think it is time I test other shoes though for durability.

I have been wearing the New Balance 782.  They are available in wide widths but they are pretty ugly.  I love the look of the Adidas stuff (esp. the Barricade V), but I haven't made it to a shop recently to try them on. 

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2008, 05:41:47 PM »
I could care less about the looks.  Shoot, my last pair blew open on the top after the first few matches and then I wore them like that for another 4 weeks before they were destroyed.  No shoe looks good when it blows open.  :)
Scott Baker

Offline The-Raw-Edge

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2008, 05:52:36 PM »
I could care less about the looks.  Shoot, my last pair blew open on the top after the first few matches and then I wore them like that for another 4 weeks before they were destroyed.  No shoe looks good when it blows open.  :)

Thats true.  I can see why you bought 7 pair on your last order. :rofl_2: