Author Topic: Formula 1 Racing  (Read 64115 times)

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
Re: Formula 1 Racing
« Reply #420 on: September 23, 2008, 12:47:57 PM »
Hamilton appeal rejected

Lewis Hamilton said he was disappointed but not depressed after a court rejected McLaren's appeal to have the Formula One leader reinstated as Belgian Grand Prix winner.

The decision left the 23-year-old Briton just one point clear of Ferrari's Brazilian Felipe Massa with four races remaining.

The governing FIA said in a statement that the court of five judges had "concluded that the appeal is inadmissible" after Hamilton gave his version of events at the hearing in Paris on Monday.

"Article 152 of the International Sporting Code states that drive-through penalties are 'not susceptible to appeal'," the FIA added. (LOL!!!)

Hamilton, who was demoted from first to third at Spa-Francorchamps in the September 7 race after cutting a chicane, will now start Sunday's Singapore Grand Prix with 78 points to 77 for Massa.

Had McLaren's appeal been successful, Hamilton would have had a seven point advantage.

"People will probably expect me to be depressed about today's result, but that isn't me," he said in a McLaren statement.

"All I want to do now is put this matter behind me and get on with what we drivers do best - racing each other. We're racers, we're naturally competitive, and we love to overtake.

"Overtaking is difficult, and it feels great when you manage to pull off a great passing manoeuvre. If it pleases the spectators and TV viewers, it's better still. So I'm disappointed, yes, but not depressed."

A Ferrari spokesman said the Italian team would not be commenting on the verdict.

The race at Spa was a thriller but the excitement fell flat when stewards later ruled that Hamilton had gained an advantage by cutting the Bus Stop chicane while duelling with Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen for the lead in the closing stages.

They imposed a retrospective drive-through penalty, translated into 25 seconds added to Hamilton's total time, which dropped him from first to third.

Massa, who had finished second, was awarded his fifth win of the season instead.

Hamilton, who had handed back the position gained before overtaking Raikkonen again into the next corner, told the court in Paris he felt he had acted according to the rules.

McLaren had also pointed out to the court that race control had twice given Hamilton the all-clear at the time.

"We are naturally disappointed with today's verdict, and to have received no ruling on the substance of our appeal," said McLaren chief executive Martin Whitmarsh.

"No-one wants to win grands prix in court but we felt that Lewis had won the Belgian Grand Prix, on track, in an exciting and impressive manner.

"Our legal team and witnesses calmly explained this, as well as our belief that the appeal should be admissible, to the FIA International Court of Appeal," he added.

Hamilton arrived in Singapore on Tuesday, where he chatted and joked with fans while watching youngsters drive an F1 simulator in one of the city-state's plushest shopping centres.

Dressed in a grey suit, the driver told the crowd he was fully focused and looking forward to the sport's first night race.

Reuters

--ABOSULTELY PERFECT DECISION BY THER FIAT! --
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 12:48:29 PM by conchita »
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #421 on: September 23, 2008, 12:53:10 PM »
Hamilton appeal rejected

Lewis Hamilton said he was disappointed but not depressed after a court rejected McLaren's appeal to have the Formula One leader reinstated as Belgian Grand Prix winner.

The decision left the 23-year-old Briton just one point clear of Ferrari's Brazilian Felipe Massa with four races remaining.

The governing FIA said in a statement that the court of five judges had "concluded that the appeal is inadmissible" after Hamilton gave his version of events at the hearing in Paris on Monday.

"Article 152 of the International Sporting Code states that drive-through penalties are 'not susceptible to appeal'," the FIA added. (LOL!!!)

Hamilton, who was demoted from first to third at Spa-Francorchamps in the September 7 race after cutting a chicane, will now start Sunday's Singapore Grand Prix with 78 points to 77 for Massa.

Had McLaren's appeal been successful, Hamilton would have had a seven point advantage.

"People will probably expect me to be depressed about today's result, but that isn't me," he said in a McLaren statement.

"All I want to do now is put this matter behind me and get on with what we drivers do best - racing each other. We're racers, we're naturally competitive, and we love to overtake.

"Overtaking is difficult, and it feels great when you manage to pull off a great passing manoeuvre. If it pleases the spectators and TV viewers, it's better still. So I'm disappointed, yes, but not depressed."

A Ferrari spokesman said the Italian team would not be commenting on the verdict.

The race at Spa was a thriller but the excitement fell flat when stewards later ruled that Hamilton had gained an advantage by cutting the Bus Stop chicane while duelling with Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen for the lead in the closing stages.

They imposed a retrospective drive-through penalty, translated into 25 seconds added to Hamilton's total time, which dropped him from first to third.

Massa, who had finished second, was awarded his fifth win of the season instead.

Hamilton, who had handed back the position gained before overtaking Raikkonen again into the next corner, told the court in Paris he felt he had acted according to the rules.

McLaren had also pointed out to the court that race control had twice given Hamilton the all-clear at the time.

"We are naturally disappointed with today's verdict, and to have received no ruling on the substance of our appeal," said McLaren chief executive Martin Whitmarsh.

"No-one wants to win grands prix in court but we felt that Lewis had won the Belgian Grand Prix, on track, in an exciting and impressive manner.

"Our legal team and witnesses calmly explained this, as well as our belief that the appeal should be admissible, to the FIA International Court of Appeal," he added.

Hamilton arrived in Singapore on Tuesday, where he chatted and joked with fans while watching youngsters drive an F1 simulator in one of the city-state's plushest shopping centres.

Dressed in a grey suit, the driver told the crowd he was fully focused and looking forward to the sport's first night race.

Reuters

Was that a deliberate misprint?

To be honest it is the right decision there, the wrong decision was made by the stewards originally, and unfortunately it cannot be overturned.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #422 on: September 23, 2008, 12:57:48 PM »
Hamilton appeal rejected

Reuters

To be honest it is the right decision there, the wrong decision was made by the stewards originally, and unfortunately it cannot be overturned.

that's part of your conspiracy theory!  ;-()
the wrong decision was made by Hamilton, I can understand he was in the heat of the race! but after cutting the chicane he should have waited at least 1 corner (eau rouge) to overtake!!
he had plenty of time to overtake Raikkonen after his error. they were not in the last lap.
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #423 on: September 23, 2008, 01:13:48 PM »
Hamilton appeal rejected

Reuters

that's part of your conspiracy theory!  ;-()
the wrong decision was made by Hamilton, I can understand he was in the heat of the race! but after cutting the chicane he should have waited at least 1 corner (eau rouge) to overtake!!
he had plenty of time to overtake Raikkonen after his error. they were not in the last lap.

I don't think there is a conspiracy at all, I thought you'd posted that as if there was one. He had plenty of time to overtake Raikkonen and almost undoubtedly would;ve done: the overtaking manouvre had no bearing on the result. Had the chicane been negotiated normally, Hamilton would;ve been much quicker on the straight and if he couldn't go past on the straight, able to overtake easily in the coner anyway: as it was, he was 7mph slower down the straight due to slowing down: he had to overturn that speed gap before he could begin an overtaking manouvre, so I feel he actually gained a disadvantage from that chicane: had it not happened, he'd probably have overtaken on the straight rather than the corner. It's a travesty of justice that Massa, who was nowhere near the lead throughout the race, won, and Hamilton came 3rd. Blind application of the rules without using even an iota of common sense.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #424 on: September 23, 2008, 01:31:50 PM »
I don't think there is a conspiracy at all, I thought you'd posted that as if there was one. He had plenty of time to overtake Raikkonen and almost undoubtedly would;ve done: the overtaking manouvre had no bearing on the result. Had the chicane been negotiated normally, Hamilton would;ve been much quicker on the straight and if he couldn't go past on the straight, able to overtake easily in the coner anyway: as it was, he was 7mph slower down the straight due to slowing down: he had to overturn that speed gap before he could begin an overtaking manouvre, so I feel he actually gained a disadvantage from that chicane: had it not happened, he'd probably have overtaken on the straight rather than the corner. It's a travesty of justice that Massa, who was nowhere near the lead throughout the race, won, and Hamilton came 3rd. Blind application of the rules without using even an iota of common sense.
it's not too blind, the stewards had no time during the race to make the decision -drive through, 25 seconds-, it was the end of race. 4 laps remaining.
Hamilton was too agressive and had no patience.

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #425 on: September 23, 2008, 01:37:47 PM »
it's not too blind, the stewards had no time during the race to make the decision -drive through, 25 seconds-, it was the end of race. 4 laps remaining.
Hamilton was too agressive and had no patience.

Hamilton's manouvre had no impact on how the race finished, and the rules state that any advantage gained by cutting a corner must be ceded, which it was and then some. He would;ve been right behind Raikkonen down the straight in a much faster car: as it was, he was right behind Raikkonen and 7mph slower in a much faster car. He should;ve waited 1 corner more to remove any doubt whatsoever, but the facts are he did give back his advantage and deserved to win the race. Had it happened in the middle of the race, no way would he have been given a drive-through penalty.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #426 on: September 24, 2008, 07:18:57 AM »
Singapore GP: Stats

Some key statistics ahead of Formula One's maiden night race in Singapore.

WINS

Germany's Sebastian Vettel, triumphant in the last round at Monza in Italy for Toro Rosso, was the third first-time winner of the season after Poland's Robert Kubica (BMW-Sauber) and Finland's Heikki Kovalainen (McLaren).

All three were on the podium at Monza.

Vettel, at 21, was the youngest driver to win a F1 race. He was also the youngest to start on pole position having already been the youngest to score a point and to feature in a grand prix weekend.

The German is the 101st grand prix winner since 1950.

Of the 20 drivers on the starting grid in Singapore, 12 are now race winners. BMW-Sauber's Nick Heidfeld (146 races) is the active driver who has had most starts without winning.

Ferrari have won seven races to McLaren's five this year. Since 1950, the Italian team have won 208 races. McLaren have 161 wins and Williams 113.

PODIUM

Monza was the fourth race this season without a Ferrari driver on the podium.

Ferrari and BMW-Sauber are the only teams to have scored points in every race this year.

Force India's Giancarlo Fisichella and Adrian Sutil are the only drivers yet to score a point in 2008 (not including Takuma Sato and Anthony Davidson from now-defunct Super Aguri).

QUALIFYING

Six drivers have started on pole position this season (Massa, Raikkonen, Hamilton, Kovalainen, Kubica, Vettel).

Spain's double world champion Alonso at Renault is the only driver to have out-qualified his team mate (Nelson Piquet) in every race so far this year.

NEW RACES

Ferrari have a track record of doing well at new races on the calendar. Brazilian Felipe Massa won in Valencia this year while now-retired Michael Schumacher won the first races in Bahrain (2004) and Indianapolis (2000). Brazilian Rubens Barrichello won the first in China (2004) and Briton Eddie Irvine the first in Malaysia (1999).

McLaren won the first in Turkey (2005) with Kimi Raikkonen, now world champion with Ferrari.

MILESTONES

Singapore will be Formula One's first night race, the first to be held in the island state and first on an Asian street circuit.

The track is expected to be the second-slowest of the season, after Monaco.

The Singapore GP will also be the 800th round of the F1 world championship since the first at Silverstone in 1950.

Formula One's previous landmark races are:

1 - Britain 1950, won by Giuseppe Farina (Italy) in an Alfa Romeo.

100 - Germany 1961, Stirling Moss (Britain), Lotus.

200 - Monaco 1971, Jackie Stewart (Britain), Tyrrell.

300 - South Africa 1978, Ronnie Peterson (Sweden), Lotus.

400 - Austria 1984, Niki Lauda (Austria), McLaren.

500 - Australia 1990, Nelson Piquet Sr. (Brazil), Benetton.

600 - Argentina 1997, Jacques Villeneuve (Canada), Williams.

700 - Brazil 2003, Giancarlo Fisichella (Italy), Jordan.

THE CIRCUIT

The anti-clockwise 5.067km street circuit has 23 turns (10 right and 13 left) with a mix of short and longer straights.

Maximum speeds are likely to be around 186mph. McLaren calculate the average speed will be around 108mph.

The race will be run over 61 laps and a total distance of 309.087km. Overtaking opportunities are most likely at turn one on the pit straight, turn seven at Raffles Boulevard and turn 14 on Esplanade Drive.

Organisers say the lighting will be four times brighter than the average floodlit football match or track and field event.

The system incorporates more than 108km of cabling with lights set up on some 240 pylons set 32 metres apart. Around 1500 light projectors will produce a total of more than three million watts.

The power supply is independent of Singapore's own electricity grid and provided by 12 twin generators, each able to absorb the load of the other should one fail.

Electronic 'digiflag' displays alongside the track will be used for the first time to supplement the traditional flags waved by marshals to communicate with drivers.

Singapore GP Pte is the race promoter with a five-year renewable deal.

Reuters

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #427 on: September 24, 2008, 07:31:04 AM »

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
  • Historically, still the best team in England! >>
« Reply #428 on: September 24, 2008, 11:53:40 AM »
This is the one I'm looking forward to, my parents are in the plane right now heading out to Singapore, I'm so jealous. I'll be watching every minute of it.

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #429 on: September 24, 2008, 12:00:27 PM »
This is the one I'm looking forward to, my parents are in the plane right now heading out to Singapore, I'm so jealous. I'll be watching every minute of it.

You're home alone?

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
« Reply #430 on: September 24, 2008, 12:01:39 PM »

You're home alone?

No lol, I've got my gran looking after us for a week, but should be a pushover :))

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #431 on: September 24, 2008, 12:15:17 PM »

You're home alone?

No lol, I've got my gran looking after us for a week, but should be a pushover :))

So when's the party? Is it advertised on Facebook for the world to see?  :)~

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
« Reply #432 on: September 24, 2008, 12:16:46 PM »

You're home alone?

Nope lol, don't use Facebook, wouldn't think you'd be able to make it anyway being up in Coom-bree-ah. That's my Cumbrian accent :)~
Chris is close enough but he'd feel out of place with loads of kids lol.

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #433 on: September 24, 2008, 12:21:55 PM »

You're home alone?

Nope lol, don't use Facebook, wouldn't think you'd be able to make it anyway being up in Coom-bree-ah. That's my Cumbrian accent :)~

:rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2: Worst Cumbrian accent ever! You live near Lee-va-pooooool, right? I was planning on putting it up on Facebook, just give me your address, I'll make sure every chav in the country is on the guest list  :)~

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
« Reply #434 on: September 24, 2008, 12:26:16 PM »

You're home alone?

:rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2: Worst Cumbrian accent ever! You live near Lee-va-pooooool, right? I was planning on putting it up on Facebook, just give me your address, I'll make sure every chav in the country is on the guest list  :)~

Lol no problem, I'm at 89 Pike Street, Sandbach, Cheshire, CW16 4BD

Now go ahead :)) And no, I'm not really that close to Liverpool lol! It's hard to type an accent, my real life Cumbrian ones alright since we had someone from Cumbria in our class at school for half a year but they went back to Cumbria lol.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #435 on: September 24, 2008, 12:41:41 PM »

You're home alone?

At least you're honest  :rofl_2: yeah down the motorway and I'm into Sandbach in just over 45 minutes.
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #436 on: September 24, 2008, 01:27:35 PM »

You're home alone?

Lol no problem, I'm at ****************************

Now go ahead :)) And no, I'm not really that close to Liverpool lol! It's hard to type an accent, my real life Cumbrian ones alright since we had someone from Cumbria in our class at school for half a year but they went back to Cumbria lol.

Really not smart to give your address out over the Internet, I was joking. You not seen the stuff in papers about people's houses getting trashed after they advertised parties on Facebook?

Where abouts in Cumbria was this guy from? Kendal, Barrow, Penrith, Carlisle, Workington, Whitehaven, Maryport? They all have pretty distinct accents.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #437 on: September 24, 2008, 01:29:01 PM »

You're home alone?

Lol no problem, I'm at ****************************

Really not smart to give your address out over the Internet, I was joking. You not seen the stuff in papers about people's houses getting trashed after they advertised parties on Facebook?

Where abouts in Cumbria was this guy from? Kendal, Barrow, Penrith, Carlisle, Workington, Whitehaven, Maryport? They all have pretty distinct accents.

I was going to say exacty the same about the address Murrayfan- you might want to delete that next time you're here  ;-()
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
« Reply #438 on: September 24, 2008, 01:37:10 PM »
Don't worry guys, not my real address, only the town is real nothing else. Should have made it more obvious lite 123 Nobody Street or something!

I'm not sure where the guy was from though, I think probably Carlisle.

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #439 on: September 24, 2008, 01:40:16 PM »
Don't worry guys, not my real address, only the town is real nothing else. Should have made it more obvious lite 123 Nobody Street or something!

I'm not sure where the guy was from though, I think probably Carlisle.

Carlisle accent is nothing. You need to talk to somebody from Whitehaven, you'll here a proper Cumbrian accent then. For starters, try and guess what 'Az garn yam' means: it's how a person from Whitehaven would say a common phrase.