Author Topic: Formula 1 Racing  (Read 63731 times)

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
Re: Formula 1 Racing
« Reply #480 on: October 12, 2008, 01:06:11 AM »
Alonso wins his 2nd Grand Prix in a row, ahead of Kubica and then Raikkonen in 3rd place. Massa picked up just 1 point in 8th position, with Hamilton picking up none, so the Championship is down to 6 points with 2 Grand Prix's to go. Ferrari take the lead back in the Constructors Championship!
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #481 on: October 12, 2008, 06:49:01 AM »
BRAVO RENAULT!!!! LE RETOUR!!!!  :))
PERFECT ALONSO AGAIN!!!  :))
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #482 on: October 12, 2008, 07:04:00 AM »
Japanese Grand Prix Report

Renault's Fernando Alonso took a superb victory in the Japanese Grand Prix as title rivals Lewis Hamilton and Felipe Massa collided in a dramatic race.

Hamilton made a poor start, ran off the road at the first corner and was tipped into a spin by Massa on lap two.

Both were given penalties for different incidents but Massa recovered to take seventh and cut Hamilton's lead to five points with two races left.

Hamilton, his car damaged by Massa, was 12th and out of the points.

Massa finished eighth on the road, but was promoted to seventh when Toro Rosso's Sebastien Bourdais was penalised 25 seconds, demoting him to 12th, for a collision with the Brazilian on lap 51.

Hamilton is still in a strong position but the Englishman will have to cut out the mistakes that have characterised his season if he is not to lose the championship for the second year in a row.

"What can I say? it was a bad day, I'll move on to next week [in China]," said Hamilton.  I cannot believe it right now and back-to-back wins is a great feeling - it is completely amazing

"I went wide at turn one, it was a mistake, and then Felipe hit me off, I went on the inside and he broke left and hit me pretty hard."

Massa is not Hamilton's only title rival. BMW Sauber's Robert Kubica is 12 points off the lead and cannot be ruled out.

"Twelve points behind the leader with two races to go - anything can happen," Kubica said.

Hamilton's problems began at the very start of the race as he got off the line slowly from pole position in his McLaren and then went too far in trying to make amends at the first corner.

He left his braking too late trying to prevent Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen taking the lead and, with smoke pouring from his locked tyres, took both of them off the track.

The move would earn Hamilton a penalty for forcing another car off the track, but it also demoted him to sixth place, right behind Massa.

The Englishman tried to pass the Ferrari into the Turn 10/11 chicane on the second lap and the two cars ended up colliding.

Massa left his braking too late trying to fend Hamilton off into the initial right-hand part of the corner.

That put him off line on the outside and, trying to retain the place, he dived over the kerbs through the left-handed part and tipped Hamilton into a spin as he rejoined the track.

Hamilton had to sit and wait for the entire field to pass before he could rejoin the race, and he immediately called into the pits for new tyres to replace the ones he had badly flat-spotted at the first corner.

Massa was given his own penalty for causing that collision, and, once they had taken their drive-through penalties, the two title rivals ended up at the back of the field - with Massa a few seconds ahead. 

The chaos among the drivers of the leading teams left Kubica in the lead but he lost it to Alonso when the Spaniard made his first pit stop a lap later than the Pole.

Alonso said he asked the team to get him out in front of Kubica but doing so meant he had four laps' less fuel than the BMW for the middle stint of the race.

The team lost no time in telling Alonso that he had to "sprint like hell" to win the race.

The double world champion did exactly that, pulling out a lead of more than 12 seconds in his 25-lap second stint.

That put him completely out of Kubica's reach, and the BMW driver was left to fend off Raikkonen.

It was one of the Spaniard's greatest races and secured him and Renault an unexpected second win in a row.

"We were second when we stopped for the first time and I wanted to exit the pits in front of Robert," Alonso said.

"So they had to put less fuel in. I had to open the gap and the car was perfect and I was able to.

"It's difficult to believe as the Singapore win was completely unexpected.

"We had special conditions there with the safety car but today we had nothing and we won again at a circuit which is not good for our [car's] characteristics.

"I cannot believe it right now and back-to-back wins is a great feeling. It is completely amazing."

Raikkonen drove a race that has become typical of him this season - he was anonymous until the final pit stops and then came alive.  606: DEBATE
Hamilton just cannot erase the impression that he is doing his best to lose the 2008 Formula One world championship

The world champion rejoined from his final stop just behind Kubica but, although he pressured the BMW hard for the next few laps, the Pole was able to fend him off and eventually build a small cushion for the last few laps.

Nelson Piquet finished fourth for Renault, with Toyota's Jarno Trulli next, followed by the Toro Rossos of Bourdais and Sebastian Vettel and Massa.

Massa, the fastest man on the track in the closing stages of the race, lost ground in the incident with Bourdais but recovered to grab eighth on the road from Red Bull's Mark Webber on the penultimate lap.

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #483 on: October 12, 2008, 07:06:54 AM »
I paid for mistake, says Hamilton

Lewis Hamilton admits errors at the start of the Japanese Grand Prix cost him vital points in the title race.

Hamilton ran wide as he attacked the first corner, falling back to sixth, and then spun on the second lap when he was hit by main rival Felipe Massa.

"You can wish you did something differently but I made a mistake and I paid for it," said the Englishman, whose lead has been cut to five points.

"It's damage limitation. Forget this race ever happened and move on."

The result also put a third driver into the title picture - BMW Sauber's Robert Kubica is 12 points behind Hamilton with a maximum of 20 available after finishing second to Renault's Fernando Alonso.

Hamilton had set himself up for a tilt at a second successive victory in Fuji by taking pole position but his ambitions were immediately undone by a dreadful start.

A hesitant getaway saw the McLaren driver caught by Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen and a risky attempt to claw back his position backfired at the first corner when he ran wide.

After finding himself down in sixth after the opening lap, Hamilton tried to pass Massa's Ferrari but the title rivals made contact as Massa clipped the McLaren's rear wheel and Hamilton was forced back to the pits after spinning.

Both drivers were handed drive-through penalties - Hamilton for forcing Raikkonen wide in an attempt to regain his position on lap one and Massa for the incident on the following lap.

Massa fought his way back to finish in eighth but was later promoted to seventh, after Sebastian Bourdais was penalised, which saw the Ferrari driver cut Hamilton's lead by two points as the Englishman finished in 12th.

Hamilton, who has been on the wrong end of the stewards' decisions this season, said he was disappointed to receive yet another penalty but insisted his world championship attempt remains on track.

"We (he and Massa) both got the same penalty but I didn't hit anybody - he did. That's just the name of the game, I guess," he said.

"My personal disappointment is the start and the way I'm treated.

"Everyone went wide [at the start] but for some reason I got a penalty for that. I can't understand that.  We plan on winning; not at any cost, but we plan on winning

"But it doesn't really matter if I agree with it, I can't change it and I just need to keep it together.

"I don't think it makes any difference [to the title race]. We'll move on next week and make sure we win the last two races.

Massa shared Hamilton's dissatisfaction at being handed a penalty at such a crucial point in the season.

The Brazilian was judged to have caused their collision but he believes the incident is all part of racing and if anyone was to blame it was his title rival.

"In my opinion it was a racing incident and we both paid a penalty," Massa said.

"For me, he braked too late and pushed me out of the track. I couldn't stop the car as I was in the gravel and I was in the gravel because he pushed me." 

The Brazilian denied he had deliberately collided with his title rival to scupper his chances.

"I have a good relationship with Lewis and I will not do anything to destroy it. Definitely not," Massa said.

"I'm not the kind of guy who brings problems on the track to the outside, and I will not change my approach."

Massa's Ferrari team-mate Raikkonen started on the front row alongside Hamilton and soon found himself in the thick of a frenetic start when he was forced off the track.

Afterwards the Finn, whose third place brought the curtain down on his title defence, did not specifically blame Hamilton for the incident but suggested both McLarens were perhaps a little too quick off the mark.

"I think the two McLarens went a bit too far," Raikkonen commented. "They were a bit too excited I would say.

"I would have been able to make the corner very easily but first Hamilton came and then Heikki [Kovalainen] came. Heikki at least hit me but I'm not sure about Lewis."

For his part, Hamilton's team-mate Kovalainen said he had seen nothing worth penalising in the incident at the first corner.

"Obviously Kimi got a good start and I think my start was very good as well, Lewis's wasn't quite as good," Kovalainen said.

"Kimi initially jumped Lewis and then I think Lewis was trying to fight back.

"They both went a bit deep and I also went a bit deep. I don't know... I thought it was just a normal first corner."

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #484 on: October 12, 2008, 07:10:50 AM »
I'm sorry but this is pathetic!! This proves the FIM are set against Haamilton as Bourdais has been penalised 25 seconds with his coming together with Massa where anybody could see it was Massa in the wrong there, so as a result Bourdais has dropped a few places and Massa has gone up 1 more to 7th- so now the gap is just 5 points between Hamilton and Massa  :mad1:

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #485 on: October 12, 2008, 07:11:27 AM »
Final result of Japanese Grand Prix:

1 Fernando Alonso (Spa) Renault one hour 30 minutes 21.892 seconds
2 Robert Kubica (Pol) BMW Sauber 5.2 seconds behind
3 Kimi Raikkonen (Fin) Ferrari at 6.4secs
4 Nelson Piquet (Brz) Renault at 20.570secs
5 Jarno Trulli (Ita) Toyota at 23.767secs
6 Sebastian Vettel (Ger) Toro Rosso-Ferrari at 39.207secs
7 Felipe Massa (Brz) Ferrari at 46.200secs
8 Mark Webber (Aus) Red Bull-Renault at 50.811secs
9 Nick Heidfeld (Ger) BMW Sauber at 54.120secs
10 Sebastien Bourdais* (Fra) Toro Rosso-Ferrari at 59.000secs
11 Nico Rosberg (Ger) Williams-Toyota at 1:02.096
12 Lewis Hamilton (GB) McLaren-Mercedes at 1:18.900secs
13. Rubens Barrichello (Brz) Honda one lap behind
14. Jenson Button (GB) Honda at one lap
15. Kazuki Nakajima (Jpn) Williams-Toyota at 1 lap
R Giancarlo Fisichella (Ita) Force India-Ferrari 22 laps
R Heikki Kovalainen (Fin) McLaren-Mercedes 16 laps
R Adrian Sutil (Ger) Force India-Ferrari 8 laps
R Timo Glock (Ger) Force India-Ferrari 6 laps
R David Coulthard (GB) Red Bull-Renault 0 laps

* Bourdais penalised 25 seconds for collision with Massa

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #486 on: October 12, 2008, 07:13:06 AM »
Drivers' World Championship 2008

Name  Car  Nat  Points
1 Lewis Hamilton  McLaren-Mercedes  GB  84 
2 Felipe Massa  Ferrari  Brz  79 
3 Robert Kubica  BMW Sauber  Pol  72 
4 Kimi Raikkonen  Ferrari  Fin  63 
5 Nick Heidfeld  BMW Sauber  Ger  56 
6 Heikki Kovalainen  McLaren  Fin  51 
7 Fernando Alonso  Renault  Spa  48 
8 Sebastian Vettel  Toro Rosso-Ferrari Ger  30 
9 Jarno Trulli  Toyota  Ita  30 
10 Mark Webber  Red Bull-Renault Aus  21 
10 Timo Glock  Toyota  Ger  20 
12 Nelson Piquet  Renault  Brz  18 
13 Nico Rosberg  Williams-Toyota  Ger  17 
14 Rubens Barrichello  Honda  Brz  11
15 Kazuki Nakajima  Williams  Jpn  9 
16 David Coulthard  Red Bull-Renault  GB  8 
17 Sebastien Bourdais  Toro Rosso-Ferrari  Fra  4 
18 Jenson Button  Honda  GB  3 
19 Giancarlo Fisichella  Force India-Ferrari  Ita  0 
19 Adrian Sutil  Force India-Ferrari  Ger  0 
19 Anthony Davidson*  Super Aguri-Honda  GB  0 
19 Takuma Sato*  Super Aguri-Honda  Jpn  0

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #487 on: October 12, 2008, 07:14:46 AM »
Constructors' World Championship 2008
Team  Points

1 Ferrari  142 
2 McLaren-Mercedes  135 
3 BMW Sauber  128 
4 Renault  66 
5 Toyota  50
6 Toro Rosso-Ferrari  34 
7 Red Bull-Renault  29 
8 Williams-Toyota  26 
9 Honda  14 
10 Force India-Ferrari  0 
11 Super Aguri-Honda*  0 

* Super Aguri dropped out of championship following Spanish Grand Prix because of lack of funds

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #488 on: October 12, 2008, 07:14:53 AM »
Thanks CT!!!  :) great articles!!!
Shanghai and the first corner in Interlagos is called "S do Senna". 

Grand Prix Wins!!!
1 SCHUMACHER Michael 91 
2 PROST Alain 51
3 SENNA Ayrton 41
4 MANSELL Nigel 31
5 STEWART Jackie 27 
6 CLARK Jim 25
7 LAUDA Niki 25
8 FANGIO Juan Manuel 24 
9 PIQUET Nelson 23
10 HILL Damon 22
11 ALONSO Fernando 21 
12 HAKKINEN Mika 20 
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 07:21:51 AM by conchita »
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #489 on: October 12, 2008, 08:15:54 AM »
I'm sorry but this is pathetic!! This proves the FIM are set against Haamilton as Bourdais has been penalised 25 seconds with his coming together with Massa where anybody could see it was Massa in the wrong there, so as a result Bourdais has dropped a few places and Massa has gone up 1 more to 7th- so now the gap is just 5 points between Hamilton and Massa  :mad1:

Just seen a pretty poor clip on YouTube, inconclusive for me: Massa was going past him, they collided. Unless Bourdais has actually turned into Massa while alongside him (highly unlikely, though I couldn't tell) if Massa tries to overtake and clips the other guy, who looked like he was merely holding his line, that's a shocker of a decision. I don't think it proves there is some form of bias, I just think Massa has got very lucky with 2 particular decisions this year, worth 7 points off Hamilton's lead.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #490 on: October 12, 2008, 08:19:26 AM »
I'm sorry but this is pathetic!! This proves the FIA are set against Haamilton as Bourdais has been penalised 25 seconds with his coming together with Massa where anybody could see it was Massa in the wrong there, so as a result Bourdais has dropped a few places and Massa has gone up 1 more to 7th- so now the gap is just 5 points between Hamilton and Massa  :mad1:

Just seen a pretty poor clip on YouTube, inconclusive for me: Massa was going past him, they collided. Unless Bourdais has actually turned into Massa while alongside him (highly unlikely, though I couldn't tell) if Massa tries to overtake and clips the other guy, who looked like he was merely holding his line, that's a shocker of a decision. I don't think it proves there is some form of bias, I just think Massa has got very lucky with 2 particular decisions this year, worth 7 points off Hamilton's lead.

Bourdais had the line and Mssa tried a dodgy move where if anybodt should have penalised it should have been him. The FIA usually like to keep Ferrari sweet and there was even a little talk they weren't completely keen on a black driver becoming World Champion(which could be well off the mark but has been brought up) The way this season is going the FIA and stewards are going to give this title to Massa.

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #491 on: October 12, 2008, 08:24:19 AM »
Quote from a BBC poster:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the rules had been applied properly this year, Hamilton would be 12 points further in front of Massa than is the case.

In Valencia, Massa would have recieved a drive through leaving him second and Hamilton first. = 2 points taken from Massa added to Hamilton.

Spa, the result on track = 2 points from Massa and 4 added to Hamilton.

Fuji Massa should have been penalised with a stop-go for ramming Hamilton off the track and a drive through for the illegal and dangerous use of the exit of the pit lane to overtake Webber and Bourdais should NOT have been penalised for having wild Ferrari drive into him. = 2 points off Massa.

Total up these terrible points manipulations and you have Hamilton with 12 points more than Massa.

Hamilton should therefore be 17 points in the lead today, not 5.

--------------------------------------------------------------

He does make some good points, and 17 points from here would be close to unassailable.

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
  • Historically, still the best team in England! >>
« Reply #492 on: October 12, 2008, 08:24:30 AM »
I agree with kickserve here, Massa shouldn't have had that decision go his way but it's the way things go.

Anyway, classic in the interview after Hamilton admitting he was wrong for him to announce "But at least I didn't crash into anyone" ..-) Typical Lewis :)~

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #493 on: October 12, 2008, 08:25:45 AM »
I agree with kickserve here, Massa shouldn't have had that decision go his way but it's the way things go.

Anyway, classic in the interview after Hamilton admitting he was wrong for him to announce "But at least I didn't crash into anyone" ..-) Typical Lewis :)~

You feeling OK?

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #494 on: October 12, 2008, 08:26:27 AM »

You feeling OK?

What can you say, he's missed you  :rofl_2:

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
  • Historically, still the best team in England! >>
« Reply #495 on: October 12, 2008, 08:27:03 AM »

You feeling OK?

What can you say, he's missed you  :rofl_2:

Lol, I thought I was feeling a bit woozy when I said that!!!

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #496 on: October 12, 2008, 11:26:36 AM »
I am not really a Lewis Hamilton so I really have no opinion.  I kind of liked him before the year, but I think his personality and the nauseating hype machine off him as if he were the Tiger Woods of F1 which he is not yet, are enough to wear him off anyone who isnt British to be honest.   Also while before this year I gave him every benefit of doubt with the whole Alonso feud last year, especialy seeing as what a sour sport and whiner Alonso seemed to be.  However the more I hear in that Alonso has alot of friends on the F1 circuit and Hamilton has so few, makes me rethink that as well.   Anyway I feel like I have no one to really cheer for.  I still very much enjoy watching F1 and the battles on track between Hamilton, Massa, Raikkonen, Alonso, Kubica, even if I like none of them.  However I used to have 3 or 4 favorites at any one given time atleast, and others I didnt like and it was exciting for me then.  Now I find them all bland, spoiled, rich, and colorless (except for their ego and bad manners) and it is hard to get into cheering for or agianst any of the current group.   

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #497 on: October 15, 2008, 06:29:58 PM »
Au Revoir Magny Cours!!!! the circuit in the middle of nowhere. horrible loation and venue for the Frenxh GP!!

French GP cancelled
The 2009 French Grand Prix has been cancelled for financial reasons.

"For economic reasons, the FFSA (French Motorsport Federation) has decided to cancel the (2009) French Grand Prix," said a statement.

"The FFSA would like to thank all those clients who attended the French Grand Prix and have supported the event in the last few years," the statement added.

It said all those who had already booked tickets would be reimbursed and apologised to all for the inconvenience caused by the cancellation.

The FFSA had said in earlier statement that, due to the economic situation, it was no longer prepared to promote financially the race at Magny-Cours.

"As a result, and as long as a promoter capable of succeeding the FFSA has not been identified, the French Grand Prix will not be able to feature on the FIA international calendar in 2009," it added.

France, the country that invented grand prix racing and whose language permeates the sport from chassis to parc ferme, has only once (in 1955) been absent from the Formula One calendar since the championship started in 1950.

The FFSA has a contract to run the French Grand Prix until 2011 but Ecclestone has long wanted to move it to a track closer to Paris from 2010.

Next year's race had already been billed as the last at Magny-Cours, a circuit in the depths of rural France that has fallen out of favour with teams and sponsors.

Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone had wanted to axe it earlier this year but agreed a reprieve and the circuit retained its slot with a June 28 date on an 18-round calendar published last week.

That same calendar was notable for the absence of the Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal, which had been on an earlier 19-race provisional list, due to contractual issues.

It was not immediately clear whether France's disappearance might re-open the door for Canada, a commercially important race for the car manufacturers who dominate the sport and are unhappy not to have a North American round following the exit of Indianapolis.

Disneyland Paris is a favoured option for a future French Grand Prix, with plenty of hotel rooms and easy rail access from Paris and the rest of Europe.

Poor accomodation facilities and difficult access were regarded as the main weaknesses of the Magny-Cours track.

The FFSA said it was studying six "serious and worthwhile" projects, most of which involved a new track near the French capital.

-Reuters -

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #498 on: October 16, 2008, 12:18:11 AM »
That was one of the GP that really should have been cut from the calendar as it was a average track at best, but completely in the middle of nowhere. I'd love to see Canada back on the calendar now. I like the idea of Disneyland Paris having a possible track built there- that sounds very interesting and be great if Paris can have a GP.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #499 on: October 17, 2008, 12:36:20 PM »