Author Topic: Formula 1 Racing  (Read 66233 times)

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
  • Historically, still the best team in England! >>
Re: Formula 1 Racing
« Reply #520 on: November 04, 2008, 12:36:36 PM »
1. Morally, perhaps, but in reality, the thing that matters, no.

2. Glock helped him out I was NOT implying Glock did it deliberately, just saying that if Glock had kept up the lap times he had been making just before that then Hamilton wouldn't have got the title.

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #521 on: November 04, 2008, 01:20:01 PM »

2. Glock helped him out I was NOT implying Glock did it deliberately, just saying that if Glock had kept up the lap times he had been making just before that then Hamilton wouldn't have got the title.

1) Saying somebody doesn't deserve the title because they didn't win the most races when they deserved to win the most races is slightly hypocritical, no?
2) OK, but saying somebody 'helped him out' does kind of imply it was deliberate.

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
« Reply #522 on: November 04, 2008, 01:27:21 PM »

1) Saying somebody doesn't deserve the title because they didn't win the most races when they deserved to win the most races is slightly hypocritical, no?
2) OK, but saying somebody 'helped him out' does kind of imply it was deliberate.

1. The result is the result and that can't be changed, just like Hamilton winning the title. I've already said he did a good job.
2. Yes, but it isn't what I meant. I forgive you for thinking that :)~
3. No comment on David Coulthard? Come on!!!

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #523 on: November 04, 2008, 02:57:22 PM »
I was kinda sad for Coulthard, but I was never really a fan of his: for my sins I used to support Ferrari so never really took to him at McLaren. Disappointing to see anybody crash out in their last race, but didn't see the incident, I hear he was taken out by Piquet?

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
« Reply #524 on: November 05, 2008, 10:10:56 AM »
I was kinda sad for Coulthard, but I was never really a fan of his: for my sins I used to support Ferrari so never really took to him at McLaren. Disappointing to see anybody crash out in their last race, but didn't see the incident, I hear he was taken out by Piquet?

Wasn't Piquet, he was stuck between the 2 Williams' and Rosberg tapped him and spun him round and Nakajima got caught up in it. Real shame. Not sure what happened with Piquet.

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #525 on: November 10, 2008, 06:34:04 AM »
It is interesting there would be any report Glock purposely slowed down on the last lap to help Hamilton.  Hamilton is rumoured to be the most disliked driver on the circuit among his fellow drivers, so why on earth anyone would speculate that is beyond me.   It was clear he had some freak incident with the car.

Anyon cant stand either Hamilton or Massa at this point, so I didnt even care too much how it went.  The only ones I feel sorry for are the Brazilian fans who were robbed of seeing a hometown celebration of epic proportions by essentialy a fluke.  On the other hand, while Hamilton is ridiculously overhyped and overrated he still is clearly superior to Massa IMO, and I dont consider Massa to be even the minimum standard of a world champion driver.   So for that reason alone I sort of happy Hamilton lucked out and got the title by a fluke in the final race, instead of Massa winning it.   

I used to be a big fan of F1 but with no drivers of the highest standard left, nor any great personalities (atleast not remotedly likeable ones) it is now  :ZZZZZ) for me.

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #526 on: November 10, 2008, 06:42:43 AM »
It is interesting there would be any report Glock purposely slowed down on the last lap to help Hamilton.  Hamilton is rumoured to be the most disliked driver on the circuit among his fellow drivers, so why on earth anyone would speculate that is beyond me.   It was clear he had some freak incident with the car.

Anyon cant stand either Hamilton or Massa at this point, so I didnt even care too much how it went.  The only ones I feel sorry for are the Brazilian fans who were robbed of seeing a hometown celebration of epic proportions by essentialy a fluke.  On the other hand, while Hamilton is ridiculously overhyped and overrated he still is clearly superior to Massa IMO, and I dont consider Massa to be even the minimum standard of a world champion driver.   So for that reason alone I sort of happy Hamilton lucked out and got the title by a fluke in the final race, instead of Massa winning it.   

I used to be a big fan of F1 but with no drivers of the highest standard left, nor any great personalities (atleast not remotedly likeable ones) it is now  :ZZZZZ) for me.

Glock slowed down because it rained, he could barely keep the car on the track. Had it not rained, Hamilton wouldn't have pitted so would've finished 5th anyway, so I wouldn't call it a fluke.

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #527 on: November 10, 2008, 08:19:38 AM »

Glock slowed down because it rained, he could barely keep the car on the track. Had it not rained, Hamilton wouldn't have pitted so would've finished 5th anyway, so I wouldn't call it a fluke.

Either way I dont really care.   Hamilton is the slightly lesser of the two evils I guess.   I slightly prefer the vastly overhyped and vastly overrated driver who is barely above the minimal standard for me of a world champion caliber driver, and has such an arrogant and unlikeable personality vs the driver who doesnt even belong in a top 3 car, who is below the minimal standard of a world champion caliber driver, and who has a boring and colorless personality nearly as much as his teammate (a teammate who is atleast a much better driver then Massa when he gives half a damn which he apparently did not this year).    Until someone new comes into F1 that is at all worthwhile I will only give it passing interest at this point.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 08:20:12 AM by kittens25 »

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #528 on: November 10, 2008, 02:31:50 PM »

nornally long time F1 fans root for teams instead of drivers. You can be a Ferrari or Mclaren fan forever. I rooted for teams that disappaered in late 90's: Tyrell, Lotus, Stewart and my team was since the beginning -1989- Benetton, now I rooted for Renault, I like how the team works and the chemistry.
there are also two big news this season:
1-the future of Williams, since BMW left- this legendary team is going downhill...
2-driver to watch: Kubica but driver to follow closely: Vetel -Monza- Toro Rosso (Minardi) -Big Future!!! 
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #529 on: November 10, 2008, 10:58:26 PM »

nornally long time F1 fans root for teams instead of drivers. You can be a Ferrari or Mclaren fan forever. I rooted for teams that disappaered in late 90's: Tyrell, Lotus, Stewart and my team was since the beginning -1989- Benetton, now I rooted for Renault, I like how the team works and the chemistry.
1-the future of Williams, since BMW left- this legendary team is going downhill...
2-driver to watch: Kubica but driver to follow closely: Vetel -Monza- Toro Rosso (Minardi) -Big Future!!! 

I was a Ferrari fan but they dont seem to be as good anymore, and they certainly are not as exciting.   The only reason they won the constructors title was McLaren chose some marginal F1 driver to pair with Hamilton just to avoid any inter-team competition after the 2006 drama, even though they knew they were sacrificing any shot of the constructors title.   It is hard to see a couple of lazy inconsistent underachievers like Raikkonen and Massa at Ferrari after seeing Schumi have been the face of that team for so many years.  I know there will not be another Schumacher, but there needs to be someone better then that to carry the torch for Ferrari.

McLaren are not at all likeable anymore.   Ron Dennis has acted like an A-hole for several years now, and has thrown away both drivers and constructors championships with sheer stupidity.

Renault I liked but they have been on decline since Alonso first left, although maybe they are coming back now.    I liked them alot when the team was Benetton as well.   They never spent as much money as teams like Ferrari, McLaren, Williams, and the pathetic Toyota (considering how much money they spend) but they still have produced championships which is amazing.

I used to be a big Williams fan but they have really gone downhill as you said, and are not even one of the big teams anymore really.

Sauber is maybe a team on the rise or maybe it is just Kubica that makes it look that way?

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #530 on: November 11, 2008, 07:55:12 AM »

I was a Ferrari fan but they dont seem to be as good anymore, and they certainly are not as exciting.   The only reason they won the constructors title was McLaren chose some marginal F1 driver to pair with Hamilton just to avoid any inter-team competition after the 2006 drama, even though they knew they were sacrificing any shot of the constructors title.   It is hard to see a couple of lazy inconsistent underachievers like Raikkonen and Massa at Ferrari after seeing Schumi have been the face of that team for so many years.  I know there will not be another Schumacher, but there needs to be someone better then that to carry the torch for Ferrari.

McLaren are not at all likeable anymore.   Ron Dennis has acted like an A-hole for several years now, and has thrown away both drivers and constructors championships with sheer stupidity.

Renault I liked but they have been on decline since Alonso first left, although maybe they are coming back now.    I liked them alot when the team was Benetton as well.   They never spent as much money as teams like Ferrari, McLaren, Williams, and the pathetic Toyota (considering how much money they spend) but they still have produced championships which is amazing.

I used to be a big Williams fan but they have really gone downhill as you said, and are not even one of the big teams anymore really.

Sauber is maybe a team on the rise or maybe it is just Kubica that makes it look that way?

I was never a fan of Ferrari or Mclaren. Ferrari was in a terrible period before Schumi came to rescue the legendary team.
Ron Denis is the person I have dislike the most since I followed F1, it's sad but the Ron Denis of the late 80's has nothing similar of the Ron Denis of this decade. I admire the fact Ron always cames with the most embarrasing-insulting sentence about somebody each year. It's impossible for me to be a Mclaren fan with Ron Denis talking. Coming back to Ferrari, Raikkonen has been overhyped since his days with Mclaren, remember he was the son of Ron until he left him. Massa is a joke, the same joke that Barrichello was at Ferrari or Alesi trying to win a title. Next year both Massa and Raikkonen will need big results in order to stay at Maranello. Kovailanen could be at Mclaren forever, he is the perfect nş2 in the so called "we dont have a nş1 and nş2 driver policy" by Denis, Kovalainen is the perfect driver to see Hamilton shine, not same situation as a twice world champion in the same car.
Toyota and Honda have been one of the biggest disappontings this decade. Lot of money, 0 results.

BMW is a team on the rise but I think it's more about Kubica being too good. Vettel is the future, sad he didnt start his career in one of the big two teams but all the drivers say he is pure talent.  I expect great things for him.
One of my favs. is lucky to stay in same team, Nick the quick Heidfeld, broke the record of Button of most races start without a win. Nick is a very friendly guy but sadly he is not a driver to make BMW a winning team, makes me think of Ralf Schumacher at Williams-BMW.   
Benetton will be forever my team, you can not imagine how much I loved the team!!!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 08:01:03 AM by conchita »
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #531 on: November 16, 2008, 12:26:17 AM »
tonight a Brit Huff and a Swiss driver both won in Macau!! sorry that's not F1!!
two races, 9 laps in the legendary GUIA CIRCUIT. a unique circuit!!!  :cool:

it's a shame this circuit never held a f1 grand prix. as it is well known a lot of f1 champions know the Macau grand prix.
For security reasons and with the current speed it's impossible to held a f1 race today in Macau but that was not the case in the 80'-90's.
This circuit is often called the Montecarlo of Asia, long tradtion more than 50 years but the layout is hust unforgettable and corners are amazing. An Asian grand prix in Macau could had been mega exciting in 80's-90's.

SUZUKA IS COMING BACK NEXT YEAR!!!  :// amd the adjacent amusement park !!!  :)

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #532 on: December 05, 2008, 02:59:01 AM »
Honda is pulling out of Formula One, blaming the world economic crisis for plans to sell its team.

Sources told BBC Sport the team were "optimistic" they would continue, but an investor had not yet been found.

The decision leaves Englishman Jenson Button and 2009 team-mate Rubens Barrichello without drives, with only a few mid-ranking seats still available.

Honda, which spent more than £300m a year on F1, said it would also no longer supply the sport with engines.

A deadline of January has been set to find a buyer but workers at Honda's Brackley base have been told to expect redundancy letters before Christmas.

"Honda Motor Co. has come to the conclusion that we will withdraw from all Formula One activities, making 2008 the last season for participation," said Honda president Takeo Fukui at an emotional press conference.

"This difficult decision has been made in light of the quickly deteriorating operating environment facing the global auto industry... and the sudden contraction of the world economies," he added.
Rubens Barrichello at the Brazilian Grand Prix
Honda were the lowest-placed of the points-scoring teams in 2008

"Honda must protect its core business activities and secure the long term as widespread uncertainties in the economics around the globe continue to mount."

According to the Reuters news agency, team bosses Ross Brawn and Nick Fry told a meeting of the Formula One Teams' Association: "They have a month to find a buyer, otherwise they are closing the team."

If no buyer is found, Honda's decision will leave F1 with just 18 cars on the grid next season.

Honda said next year's Japanese Grand Prix at its Suzuka circuit would go ahead as planned.

Honda appointed Brawn, the man who masterminded seven world titles for Michael Schumacher at Benetton and Ferrari, as their team principal prior to the start of the 2008 season.

His arrival was seen as the signal for the start of a concerted push for success by the company after several seasons as also-rans.

The company returned to F1 as a team owner and car builder in 2005, having spent five years as an engine supplier to the British American Racing team.

But they have struggled to make an impact at the top levels of the sport.

Their sole victory of the modern era came with Button's win at the Hungarian Grand Prix in 2006.

But they have been uncompetitive in the last two seasons.

Honda's decision could also spell the end of Barrichello's 16-year F1 career.

The 36-year-old winner of nine Grands Prix was competing with his novice compatriot Bruno Senna, the nephew of F1 legend Ayrton Senna, for a seat at Honda in 2009.

Honda recently cut road vehicle production as a response to the global economic crisis - the company's sales in its key US market were down 30% last month.

F1 is a notoriously expensive sport in which to compete, and teams have spent recent months in intensive discussions over cost-cutting measures.

Max Mosley, president of world motorsport governing body the FIA, recently urged teams to find ways to reduce costs.

In an exclusive interview with the BBC, Mosley described Honda's withdrawal as a significant warning to the rest of the teams to start cutting costs dramatically.

Mosley wants to make drastic changes for the 2010 season - including making a standard engine and gearbox available to all teams at a projected cost of 5m Euro (£4.4m) per team.

The idea is opposed by the road-car constructors still in F1, who are proposing a new engine formula of their own.

Considered a major player within F1, Honda bankrolled more than 800 staff at the team's Northamptonshire base and had one of the largest budgets in the sport.

"I am told that for £1 you can now buy the Honda F1 team," said BBC sports news correspondent Adam Parsons.

BBC Radio 5 Live's F1 commentator, David Croft, said Honda's withdrawal could have profound consequences for the sport.

Honda team created in 2006 after BAR team was taken over
Finished fourth in 2006 constructors' championship with 86 points, but struggled to eighth in 2007 (six points) and ninth in 2008 (14 points)
Team costs Honda £200m annually with more than 800 staff at Brackley
Honda ran F1 cars with minimal advertising, meaning more funding had to come from Japanese parent company
English driver Jenson Button (above) could lose his place in the sport if the team were to fold
"This has serious implications for F1, not just because there will be only 18 cars on the grid," said Croft.

"It's the start of the sport as a whole feeling the pinch. Williams are reported to be in financial difficulties, Toyota are trimming down their budget as well.

"Honda are a car company whose sales have dropped by 41% in the last quarter, they're closing their Swindon factory for two months at the start of next year, and obviously feeling the pinch on a global scale."

In November, Honda announced it would build fewer cars in Japan, Europe and the US to reflect bleak economic prospects in the vehicle manufacturing industry.

Sales of new cars in the UK suffered their biggest monthly drop in 28 years, while car makers Ford, GM and Chrysler have asked the US Congress for multi-billion dollar loans to guarantee their survival.

The last team to leave F1 were Honda-backed minnows Super Aguri, which folded for financial reasons in April.

Honda's own F1 team endured a deeply disappointing 2008 season on the track, earning just 14 points, leaving them the lowest of the nine points-scoring teams.

Button found himself ranked 18th in the drivers' list, contributing only three points.

Only four drivers, each without a point to their name, ranked below him. Barrichello earned the remaining 11 points - more than half of them earned with a third place in the wet British Grand Prix.

Honda initially entered F1 as a constructor in the 1960s, withdrawing at the end of 1968.

GordonMurray
The company returned to F1 in the 1980s as an engine supplier with great success with the Williams and McLaren teams and then purchased a stake in the BAR team from British American Tobacco (BAT) in 2004.

Honda bought out BAT in 2005 to form the Honda team for the 2006 season.

While the team finished fourth in the 2006 constructors' championship, they have subsequently struggled to make an impact.

The 2009 Formula One season begins on 29 March, in Australia.

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #533 on: December 05, 2008, 04:06:28 PM »
The decision leaves Englishman Jenson Button and 2009 team-mate Rubens Barrichello without drives, with only a few mid-ranking seats still available.

Barrichello retired but Button has no team!  :( let's see what happens with Suzuka.

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #534 on: December 05, 2008, 09:28:29 PM »

Barrichello retired but Button has no team!  :( let's see what happens with Suzuka.

then I don't know Button is going to do...

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #535 on: December 06, 2008, 01:03:03 AM »
And the worst thing for Honda is after 3 or 4 races of the 2008 season they admitted their environmentally friendlier car was not able to compete at all and wrote the 2008 season off without putting much into it, instead all their efforts and around 2/3s of the £290 million they spent this year was towards the 2009 season!
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #536 on: December 06, 2008, 01:13:17 AM »
And the worst thing for Honda is after 3 or 4 races of the 2008 season they admitted their environmentally friendlier car was not able to compete at all and wrote the 2008 season off without putting much into it, instead all their efforts and around 2/3s of the £290 million they spent this year was towards the 2009 season!
Ecclestone is crazy since he is divorcing and losing half of his fortune
With all the new stupid changes I am considering not watching F1 anymore.  :(

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #537 on: December 06, 2008, 01:34:54 AM »

It really is at a crossroads these next couple of years. With how expensive it is to run in the sport now, teams are really struggling because of the financial situation of the world. While there's also a lot of talk Ecclestone and co want to bring in a standard engine for ALL teams from 2010 onwards. Ferrari have said they may pull out ouf of F1 if this happened as they wouldn't be allowed to develop and test their own engines, while Alonso said he may retire already from the sport if this change happened.

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #538 on: December 06, 2008, 01:52:22 AM »

It really is at a crossroads these next couple of years. With how expensive it is to run in the sport now, teams are really struggling because of the financial situation of the world. While there's also a lot of talk Ecclestone and co want to bring in a standard engine for ALL teams from 2010 onwards. Ferrari have said they may pull out ouf of F1 if this happened as they wouldn't be allowed to develop and test their own engines, while Alonso said he may retire already from the sport if this change happened.
excellent post Chris!
there's only thing I like about the financial crisis, Hockenheim is in trouble. it's the circuit I dislike the most because the most talented driver ever (with Senna but I like Imola) was killed there: Scotttish legend Jim Clark. and with the new layout in the 90's, the memorial where he lost his life is in the middle of the forest, very difficult to reach.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #539 on: December 06, 2008, 02:01:45 AM »

excellent post Chris!
there's only thing I like about the financial crisis, Hockenheim is in trouble. it's the circuit I dislike the most because the most talented driver ever (with Senna but I like Imola) was killed there: Scotttish legend Jim Clark. and with the new layout in the 90's, the memorial where he lost his life is in the middle of the forest, very difficult to reach.
Thanks Conchita  :)
Yeah you are right Hockenheim is another track which is in trouble, thats not a circuit I particularly like either. Thats very sad how Jim Clark died there and now the memorial for him is in the middle of the forest  :( The track has completely changed in the last few years and no longer holds its tradition as one of, if not the fastest track in F1. Its just an average, everyday track now with its tradition and history gone so it might as well be removed from the calendar with all these changes that are going on.