Author Topic: Sampras vs Rafter - Sampras on fire  (Read 3675 times)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Sampras vs Rafter - Sampras on fire
« on: April 21, 2007, 04:43:09 PM »
Sampras tearing it up...

Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Alison2006

• Tennis God
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 06:41:34 PM »
Really Great clip....Thankyou..... Like the title says "Perfect Tennis" - Perfect serving/Vollying and returning....... :)
I never thought he would win 4 French Opens - Roger Federer on Rafa

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 07:11:29 PM »
Quote from: "Alison2006"
Really Great clip....Thankyou..... Like the title says "Perfect Tennis" - Perfect serving/Vollying and returning....... :)

Yeah, although it was just a clip of the good stuff, there was a lot of it.  The score line represents that.  I thought of you when I posted it, I knew you would like it.  I loved it.
Scott Baker

Offline Alison2006

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 07:18:44 PM »
Quote from: "Tennis4you"
Quote from: "Alison2006"

Yeah, although it was just a clip of the good stuff, there was a lot of it.  The score line represents that.  I thought of you when I posted it, I knew you would like it.  I loved it.

Aaaghh thanks... :a)
BTW: I am looking for a clip of Pete's retirement at US Open... The clips I have found are in another language (not good for me)..So if you find any could you post some? Thankyou

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 07:23:21 PM »
Shoot, I have the 100 meg highlights from that day but not any kind of speech.  I just watched that about 2 hours ago too.
Scott Baker

Offline Alison2006

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 07:30:17 PM »
Shoot, I have the 100 meg highlights from that day but not any kind of speech.  I just watched that about 2 hours ago too.

lol I was trying to find this a few hours ago ( I had this on TAPE - the full Ceremony....but someone taped over this) I was soo P*ssed off -  :-o
Anyway: I really want the speeches from Johnny Mac/Agassi (even though recorded earlier) Aaaaghh I must search for this further - Thanks Scott.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 01:36:15 AM »
Very nice clip, destroyed Rafter totally. Sampras was really a beast at serve/volley tennis as is clear from this battle of two of the best s/vs of the time.
Is anyone else as awed by that Rafter deuce-side kick serve as I am? I mean how much kick does Sampras have in the first place? A lot of his serves if i am not wrong, looked flat. How did he like keep doing flat serves forever like that with such consistency? I mean I am sure he has some kick but, or maybe Rafter's was just that much better.
I try to go looking for Rafter vids and all I find is the vids that Sampras beat him in and the focus is clearly on Sampras.

Offline laurie

• Tennis Enthusiast
    • Classic Tennis Matches
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 05:28:22 AM »
Quote from: "pawan89"
Very nice clip, destroyed Rafter totally. Sampras was really a beast at serve/volley tennis as is clear from this battle of two of the best s/vs of the time.
Is anyone else as awed by that Rafter deuce-side kick serve as I am? I mean how much kick does Sampras have in the first place? A lot of his serves if i am not wrong, looked flat. How did he like keep doing flat serves forever like that with such consistency? I mean I am sure he has some kick but, or maybe Rafter's was just that much better.
I try to go looking for Rafter vids and all I find is the vids that Sampras beat him in and the focus is clearly on Sampras.

Sampras' serve actually had more spin than anyone else, particularly his second serve. Rafter relied on the kick serve.  Sampras had much more variety in where he placed the ball on both 1st and 2nd serve.  Because of his ball toss, he used a combination of slice and topspin by tossing the ball slightly to the left, he came over it often and the ball would slide plus get up high as a result, especially to the forehand on both deuce and ad courts at pace as well so his serve was heavy as a result, plus he went for lines often serving a lot of second serve aces as a result.  With the same motion, players had to guess where he would serve because he could go the other way at the last minute with his mastery of the racquet head.

But no doubt Rafter had a spectacular kick serve and a toss further to the left - which did for his shoulder - to get that much kick all the time takes a lot of hardwork and Rafter had major shoulder surgery and ultimately very early retirement at the age of 30.  Sampras' serve was much more efficient - like McEnroe said once, it was like and inside out serve, not too dissimilar to volleying to get the slice and spin.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 06:46:04 AM »
Quote from: "laurie"

Sampras' serve actually had more spin than anyone else, particularly his second serve. Rafter relied on the kick serve.  Sampras had much more variety in where he placed the ball on both 1st and 2nd serve.  Because of his ball toss, he used a combination of slice and topspin by tossing the ball slightly to the left, he came over it often and the ball would slide plus get up high as a result, especially to the forehand on both deuce and ad courts at pace as well so his serve was heavy as a result, plus he went for lines often serving a lot of second serve aces as a result.  With the same motion, players had to guess where he would serve because he could go the other way at the last minute with his mastery of the racquet head.

But no doubt Rafter had a spectacular kick serve and a toss further to the left - which did for his shoulder - to get that much kick all the time takes a lot of hardwork and Rafter had major shoulder surgery and ultimately very early retirement at the age of 30.  Sampras' serve was much more efficient - like McEnroe said once, it was like and inside out serve, not too dissimilar to volleying to get the slice and spin.

I think Sampras had more spin than anyone else but Rios if I recall correctly.  I remember reading an article on how much spin Sampras put on the ball compared to everyone else, it was insane!
Scott Baker

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2007, 09:06:00 PM »
Quote from: "laurie"

I think Sampras had more spin than anyone else but Rios if I recall correctly.  I remember reading an article on how much spin Sampras put on the ball compared to everyone else, it was insane!

I don't know about Rios, but I remember a Sybase Open (in San Jose in the early to mid 90's) had a program that talked about the fact that Sampras and Agassi put more spin on the ball than any other player. Someting like over 2K rpm. They were the only two listed over 2k rpm. Keeping in mind that the list probably only included players participaing in that tournament, which is a favorite for Americans returning from Australia, but still a 3rd tier event.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2007, 08:18:40 AM »
When I watch this video, I am reminded of many people dissing Pete's backhand and saying his groundies don't compare to Fed's.   There are some ridiculous passing shots with the 1-handed BH in this clip!    Now, in general, Pete's backhand seemed to just keep the ball in play and deep, but when he needed the big one he could come up with it.  Just seems like smart tennis to me!   Pressure always on the opponent!    When there was pressure on Pete, he came up with amazing shots by doing the fundamentals perfectly.......head down, eyes on the ball, and everything else!