Author Topic: passing the torch  (Read 6791 times)

Offline SerenaSlam06

• Tennis God
passing the torch
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2007, 06:44:52 PM »
I can't believe I forgot him, but Guga Kuerten! Man when I was like 10 or 11, I lived to watch the French Open to see him playing there. I loved how sunny and laid-back and mellow he was.
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
passing the torch
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2007, 06:57:59 PM »
Quote from: "SerenaSlam06"
I can't believe I forgot him, but Guga Kuerten! Man when I was like 10 or 11, I lived to watch the French Open to see him playing there. I loved how sunny and laid-back and mellow he was.

Guga fans. Man, that is one long, cruel roller coaster ride. But his star did shine brightly, and other than Borg, no one else has more than 2 RG titles.  ;)
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline SerenaSlam06

• Tennis God
passing the torch
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2007, 07:12:16 PM »
Tell me about it, but besides Safin (another roller coaster ride in himself!), I would most want to hang out with Kuerten if I had the chance, language barrier not withstanding.
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
passing the torch
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2007, 05:05:29 PM »
Quote from: "Babblelot"
Quote from: "SerenaSlam06"

Guga fans. Man, that is one long, cruel roller coaster ride. But his star did shine brightly, and other than Borg, no one else has more than 2 RG titles.  ;)

Have we forgotten Nadal so quickly?

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
passing the torch
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2007, 05:06:42 PM »
Sergi Bruguera also won in '93 & '94. Also, Jim Courier won it in '91 & '92 (had to research that one.  ;) ).

An ambition fulfilled

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
passing the torch
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2007, 05:10:01 PM »
Ivan Lendl won it in '84, '86 & '87, and Mats Wilander won it in '82, '85 and '88.
(more research).
Boy are my eyes tired. :sleeping:

An ambition fulfilled

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
passing the torch
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2007, 06:17:31 PM »
Quote from: "dmastous"
Ivan Lendl won it in '84, '86 & '87, and Mats Wilander won it in '82, '85 and '88.
(more research).

lol

Took you all day to finally get it right. No wonder you need a nap. Just an observation: reading would have cut your work considerably.   ;;)

So... I stand corrected. Borg(6), Guga(3), Wilander(3) and Lendl(3) have won RG more than 2 times.

The operative words being "more than."

(Actually, I'm glad you brought it to my attention, because I've been wrong about that for a long time.)  :Blush:
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
passing the torch
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2007, 06:39:33 PM »
(more research).

Okay, okay, thanks. You finally got it right, now take your nap. Reading would have cut your work considerably.   ;;)

So... I stand corrected. Borg(6), Guga(3), Wilander(3) and Lendl(3) have won RG more than 2 times.

I wasn't even aware Kuerten won it three times. (more research  :Blush: ).
I would add one word to your statement. 'no one has won more than 3 since Borg'. Because Roswald won it 8 times, Laver 3, and a trio of Frenchmen traded titles throughout the '30s (Crochet, Lacoste and Borotra).
Back to sleep......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

An ambition fulfilled

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
passing the torch
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2007, 06:45:09 PM »
(more research).

Okay, okay, thanks. You finally got it right, now take your nap. Reading would have cut your work considerably.   ;;)

I would add one word to your statement. 'no one has won more than 3 since Borg'. Because Roswald won it 8 times, Laver 3, and a trio of Frenchmen traded titles throughout the '30s (Crochet, Lacoste and Borotra).

Pu-leaze, we don't count the pre-Open Era.  ;-()

I took if for granted that that was understood, so I intentionally omitted "in the Open Era." It seems I forgot about you, as well as Wilander and Lendl.  :-o

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
passing the torch
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2007, 07:46:38 PM »
(more research).

Pu-leaze, we don't count the pre-Open Era.  ;-()

I took if for granted that that was understood, so I intentionally omitted "in the Open Era." It seems I forgot about you, as well as Wilander and Lendl.  :-o

Hate to keep bludgeoning you with facts, but both Laver and Rosewald are 'Open Era' players, though each won the French once in the 'Open Era'. The ushered in the 'Open Era'.
For my part tennis is tennis, and accoplishments in the 20's and 30's count just as much as accomplishments today, or ten years from now.

An ambition fulfilled

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
passing the torch
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2007, 12:17:38 PM »

Hate to keep bludgeoning you with facts, but both Laver and Rosewald are 'Open Era' players, though each won the French once in the 'Open Era'. The ushered in the 'Open Era'.
For my part tennis is tennis, and accoplishments in the 20's and 30's count just as much as accomplishments today, or ten years from now.

Good grief. You should have tapped out after you came up with Lendl and Wilander. That's your contribute to this thread.

:;:-|

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
passing the torch
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2007, 03:24:09 PM »

Good grief. You should have tapped out after you came up with Lendl and Wilander. That's your contribute to this thread.

Personally, I don't think of the Open Era until Ashe won the US Open in 1968?... I never followed tennis up until then.  I actually thought it was just a rich-man's sport. :))  Uhm... sort of like golf before Tiger! :))

Offline FreeBird

• Tennis God
passing the torch
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2007, 04:10:17 PM »
Quote from: "Dallas"

Personally, I don't think of the Open Era until Ashe won the US Open in 1968?... I never followed tennis up until then.  I actually thought it was just a rich-man's sport. :))  Uhm... sort of like golf before Tiger! :))

You're close - the start of the Open Era is the 68 French Open, because it was the first GS to allow pros to play.

Also interesting with respect to Rosewall's big collection of French Titles, 6 of those were the "French Pro", not the "French Open" - and 4 of them were contested on "indoor wood" (anyone know how this surface played?), in which Rosewall beat Laver in 4 consecutive finals.
Good luck on the court is nice to have, but it's usually extraneous when playing against Baker.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
passing the torch
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2007, 04:15:34 PM »
Quote from: "FreeBird"

You're close - the start of the Open Era is the 68 French Open, because it was the first GS to allow pros to play.

Also interesting with respect to Rosewall's big collection of French Titles, 6 of those were the "French Pro", not the "French Open" - and 4 of them were contested on "indoor wood" (anyone know how this surface played?), in which Rosewall beat Laver in 4 consecutive finals.

I am going to go with ludicrously fast unless they decorated it up with some grit!

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
passing the torch
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2007, 04:17:23 PM »
Quote from: "OSU Buckeye"

I am going to go with ludicrously fast unless they decorated it up with some grit!

Having tried to hit on a basketball gym floor a few times I would have to agree with this. Fast and low. But I can't say how an 'indoor wood' tennis court would compare to a basketball court.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
passing the torch
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2007, 04:19:44 PM »
Quote from: "OSU Buckeye"

Having tried to hit on a basketball gym floor a few times I would have to agree with this. Fast and low. But I can't say how an 'indoor wood' tennis court would compare to a basketball court.

They would of had to grit the court up some to cause more friction with the ball otherwise we are talking as fast or faster than grass!

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
Re: passing the torch
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2008, 08:20:41 PM »
Here it is, conchita, for your amusement.   :)

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2008, 09:45:34 PM »
Just so all of you bandwagoners know, I am the number one Gasquet fan on this board!! :)>>>> :)>>>> :)>>>> No one can dethrone me. ;-() But I'm sure you guys can fight over who gets to be number 2, number 3... :)) :))

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2008, 10:08:36 PM »
Just so all of you bandwagoners know, I am the number one Gasquet fan on this board!! :)>>>> :)>>>> :)>>>> No one can dethrone me. ;-() But I'm sure you guys can fight over who gets to be number 2, number 3... :)) :))

How can you be the #1 Gasquet fan if he isn't even your #1 guy?  :whistle:

An ambition fulfilled

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2008, 10:20:12 PM »

How can you be the #1 Gasquet fan if he isn't even your #1 guy?  :whistle:
DOH!!! ..-)
CONK da ball!!!