Author Topic: passing the torch  (Read 7289 times)

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
passing the torch
« on: April 23, 2007, 01:30:04 PM »
I've now had 4 favorite active players, and the writing is on the wall  ;>)  that I may soon have to come to terms with finding my next generation fave.

1. Johnny Mac, passed the torch to...
2. Jim Courier, who passed the torch to...
3. Patrick Rafter, who passed the torch to...
4. Marat Safin (don't know what's left in the tank)
5. ?

Candidates:
At this point, Richard Gasquet leads the class that includes Novak Djokovic, Tomas Berdych, Andy Murray and Sam Querrey. Waiting for Marcos Baghdatis to get out of my doghouse.

Gasquet's serve and lack of mental fortitute aside, he's got tremendous talent. I'm a sucker for style, and the kid has panache. I also prefer the 1HBH, and he's the only young gun that's got one.

I already know who likes Federer, Nadal and Murray. But I am curious, anyone else find they are nearing a passing of the torch?
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
Re: passing the torch
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 03:06:26 PM »
Quote from: "Babblelot"
I've now had 4 favorite active players, and the writing is on the wall  ;>)  that I may soon have to come to terms with finding my next generation fave.

5. ?

Candidates:
At this point, Richard Gasquet leads the class that includes Novak Djokovic, Tomas Berdych, Andy Murray and Sam Querrey. Waiting for Marcos Baghdatis to get out of my doghouse.

Gasquet's serve and lack of mental fortitute aside, he's got tremendous talent. I'm a sucker for style, and the kid has panache. I also prefer the 1HBH, and he's the only young gun that's got one.

I already know who likes Federer, Nadal and Murray. But I am curious, anyone else find they are nearing a passing of the torch?

I just have this mental picture of a scene very much like the Progressive adds that show banks competing for the customer's business.
You sitting on a nice chair with Djokovic, Berdych, Murray and Gasquet all vying for your affections. While Bags is fumbling around like Danny Kaye or Bud Abbot tyring to get into the inner circle. :H  ..-)

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
Re: passing the torch
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 03:15:19 PM »
Quote from: "dmastous"

5. ?

Candidates:

I just have this mental picture of a scene very much like the Progressive adds that show banks competing for the customer's business.
You sitting on a nice chair with Djokovic, Berdych, Murray and Gasquet all vying for your affections. While Bags is fumbling around like Danny Kaye or Bud Abbot tyring to get into the inner circle. :H  ..-)

lol It must be the premature 2016 Olympic buzz around here that brought that image to mind.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
passing the torch
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 03:22:08 PM »
Gasquet: 'Can I get you some more coffee, Mr Babbalot?'  :))
Berdych: 'Here, let's get your feet up there, Mr babbalot...'  :))
Querry: 'I can change that light bulb on the ceiling in a snap'  :shiny:
Baghdatis: 'I... Ouch...' trips over the foot stool and spills cream in your lap..... ;>)

An ambition fulfilled

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
passing the torch
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 03:27:28 PM »
Baghdatis: 'I... Ouch...' trips over the foot stool and spills cream in your lap..... ;>)

Nadal:   Can I clean that up for you Mr. Babble, no?

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
passing the torch
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 03:30:40 PM »
Quote from: "OSU Buckeye"

You saved it with the "no?"   :lmao!:

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
passing the torch
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 03:39:37 PM »
My favorites have been similiar to yours:

Borg passed the torch to Lendl
Lendl passed the torch to Pete
Pete passed the torch to Roger
I hope Roger keeps it at least 3-4-5-6 more years!
and after Roger... who knows... Right now the candidates are Djokovic and Gasquet but I might change my mind later.
 :))
Actually, Ashe was my favorite, but I don't think he really passed the torce to Borg...but Ashe was the 1 person that got me into tennis back in the early 70's...so I guess I really do owe a lot to him!

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
passing the torch
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 03:40:32 PM »

That would be a Nadal 'no' which would be your cue to RUNNNNN....

An ambition fulfilled

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
passing the torch
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 03:44:02 PM »
Quote from: "Dallas"

and after Roger... who knows... Right now the candidates are Djokovic and Gasquet but I might change my mind later.
Actually, Ashe was my favorite, but I don't think he really passed the torce to Borg...but Ashe was the 1 person that got me into tennis back in the early 70's...so I guess I really do owe a lot to him!

Yeah, Dallas!

An unlikely playmate. Shocked to see you're actually forward looking with 5+ years to go.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
passing the torch
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007, 03:44:11 PM »

Hey D, have you read the Arthur Ashe book?

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
passing the torch
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2007, 03:44:56 PM »

That would be a Nadal 'no' which would be your cue to RUNNNNN....

Indeed!   Unless, thats your bag baby!   ||-|

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
passing the torch
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2007, 03:46:55 PM »
Quote from: OSU Buckeye

Hey D, have you read the Arthur Ashe book?[/quote]

If you're talking about the book he wrote back in the 70's?  Not only did I have that book, but I worked at a University and he came to speak.  I got his autograph!  Unfortunately, that was a long time ago, and I can't find the book now! :(   But I actually met him and had a conversation with him which I'll always cherish now.  (Didn't know what I had back then!  Like they say - you never really miss something until you don't have it!)...

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
passing the torch
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2007, 03:48:29 PM »
Quote from: Dallas

If you're talking about the book he wrote back in the 70's?  Not only did I have that book, but I worked at a University and he came to speak.  I got his autograph!  Unfortunately, that was a long time ago, and I can't find the book now! :(   But I actually met him and had a conversation with him which I'll always cherish now.  (Didn't know what I had back then!  Like they say - you never really miss something until you don't have it!)...

Now that is seriously cool!    ;)

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
passing the torch
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2007, 03:49:14 PM »

Yeah, Dallas!

An unlikely playmate. Shocked to see you're actually forward looking with 5+ years to go.

Believe me...it was hard to do! :))   But I know Roger can't be around forever.  By the time he retires, there may be some new star that grabs my attention. :))

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
passing the torch
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2007, 03:55:49 PM »

Yeah, Dallas!

Believe me...it was hard to do! :))   But I know Roger can't be around forever.  By the time he retires, there may be some new star that grabs my attention. :))

For the sake of the game, let's hope so. No one has displaced McEnroe as my All-Time favorite player, but I'm quite happy with Safin as my active #1.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
passing the torch
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2007, 03:57:50 PM »
Quote from: Dallas

I have read Days of Grace. Enjoyed the first half, but the second was tough going. I don't remember much why (it was 8 or 10 years ago), but I think I felt he was a little too whiney. I know he was dying and going through a trajic period. But that's what I remember.
He was a good tennis player, and a great man. That's how I will remember Ashe.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
passing the torch
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2007, 04:01:03 PM »
Yeah, I couldn't remember the title......but. anyway, I bought it recently but haven't had a chance to read it!

Offline SerenaSlam06

• Tennis God
passing the torch
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2007, 08:11:15 PM »
Being a Safin fan is both torture and bliss. Before Safin, my favorite players in the 90s for the men were Rafter and Krajicek. Lately I have been looking for someone to root for who doesn't give me stomach ulcers. I like Gasquet quite a bit, and I am also a fan of Querrey. I love Ancic, but he always gets injured :(.

I shudder to think who my favorite women's player will be when the current top gals are gone. Besides Serena, Francesca, and well I don't really know who else. There aren't many up and coming girls that I like. There is Ivanovic and Misa Krajicek. But other than those two, there really aren't many exciting female 'young-guns.'
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
passing the torch
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2007, 11:07:22 PM »
Seeing how i only recently hooked onto pro-tennis, I would say my one and only favourite has been Roger. That said, I really like Rafter from the 90s and just like you, have hopes on Gasquet for the future. That said, if not Roger right now, my favourite is Ancic.
I agree with you about style, even if they aren't the best sometimes its all about the grace. And Gasquet has this. And I definitely think Rafter had this, from what I have seen of him and his tennis. and Roger's game - i don't think i need to elaborate on that at all.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
passing the torch
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2007, 09:47:46 AM »
Quote from: "SerenaSlam06"
Being a Safin fan is both torture and bliss. Before Safin, my favorite players in the 90s for the men were Rafter and Krajicek. Lately I have been looking for someone to root for who doesn't give me stomach ulcers. I like Gasquet quite a bit, and I am also a fan of Querrey. I love Ancic, but he always gets injured :(.

I shudder to think who my favorite women's player will be when the current top gals are gone. Besides Serena, Francesca, and well I don't really know who else. There aren't many up and coming girls that I like. There is Ivanovic and Misa Krajicek. But other than those two, there really aren't many exciting female 'young-guns.'

And, no mention of my girl Vaidisova???   :;:-|     She should definitely be mentioned with your discussion!    And, she is fine!   ;)