Author Topic: Graf V Hingis FO Final 1999  (Read 2866 times)

Offline Alison2006

• Tennis God
Graf V Hingis FO Final 1999
« on: April 28, 2007, 07:38:44 PM »

I love this clip and the desperation of the young Miss Swiss  ..-)  - RESPECT GRAF!!
I never thought he would win 4 French Opens - Roger Federer on Rafa

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 08:12:23 PM »
Yikes, I never saw that match but I hear it turned bad for Hingis at some point.  Had she won that match it would have been huge for her.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 08:36:23 PM »
Ah.. what was all that about? she was a break up in the second set having a first set 6-4 victory. I guess she was just acting her age (what was she 16 back then?) That probably messed up her whole psyche.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 08:52:42 PM »
the post match trophy acceptance speech was emotional as expected. I guess this is the first time I am actually seeing the famous hingis crying episode. A little "i'm sorry for any immaturity" would have been very well taken by the crowd but you just can't expect her to say such a thing at that time. Well she has her chances again now, and she's in Steffi's shoes, the older more experienced player. Lets Go Hingis!

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 09:13:59 PM »
Hingis was 19 in this match. This has to have been the absolute low point of her career. Not only because it was such an embarrassing episode, but becuase it was to be potentially the high point of her career. She was the dominate player on the WTA tour that year. She had the Australian in her pocket and thinking grand slam. Graf was at the end of the road and hadn't won much in awhile, and wasn't expected to do much at that French Open.
So Hingis wins the first set gets up a break and it completely falls apart from there. After losing a close second set in which was 2 points from the match, and being constantly jeered and booed by the French crowd, she went to the back of the court for about 2 or 3 minutes, leaned against the backdrop and looked like she was crying. THen she put up little resistance against Graf in the third went back to the locker room and probably had a fit or crying jag or something. The trophy ceremony was delayed about 15 or 20 minutes while her mom had to go in and get her to come out and accept the runner up trophy.
I think that episode was the beginning of the road to semi retirement for her.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline Alison2006

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 05:11:26 PM »
Ok here is the Speech of Hingis -

Listen to the French crowd when she mentions them lol - from booing her to clapping and cheering her

:)
I never thought he would win 4 French Opens - Roger Federer on Rafa