Author Topic: What I'm listening to now....  (Read 125489 times)

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
What I'm listening to now....
« on: May 10, 2007, 09:34:23 PM »
These days it's not often that one CD or album (to go back the days of my youth) stays in or on my player for longer than one listen then on to the next thing. Once in awhile something will grab me and hold me for a long time.
My Ipod has made music interchangeable. I'll be listening to dance/techno, then switch to corn pone country, then off to some other country with some exotic flavor. Not one CD or artist stays for longer than a day or two.
My first introduction to Pizzicato Five lasted 3 months. I listened to Happy End of the World everyday until I got seriously sick of it. That got me into Cornelius and his Fantasia lasted 6 months. Recently Manu Chau took center stage for quite awhile. At least a month or two.
Still, frequently, I get a taste of something from the past and have to charge through that discography. I hear a U-2 song and simply had to listen to Unforgetable Fire and War again. A recent Rush discussion had me playing them for a day. Did you know they have a new CD out? Pretty solid Rush.
So what am I playing now?
I just got a copy of the newest Buddha Bar collection. Buddha Bar IX. This is a return to past form. DJ Ravin retakes the reigns and spins an exotic web of beautiful chill out bliss with interesting spicey stuff thrown in. Buddha Bar hasn't been this good since Vol 4, five or six years ago. I think Ravin also mixed that one too.
Tough to find as it's only released in Europe, but should show up in US store the next month or so. Worth picking up. I think this one has some staying power.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline blisteringboom

• Tennis God
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 10:32:47 PM »
I listen to metal . Such bands as, demons and wizards, lamb of god, metallica, iced earth, king diamond etc.
"So soon it parted , lifting itself into the air. It bent – the world did. High was low , low was high ,and so he soared into the ground that was the sky." Tyler Vergil

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 07:42:11 AM »
Quote from: "blisteringboom"
I listen to metal . Such bands as, demons and wizards, lamb of god, metallica, iced earth, king diamond etc.

Welcome back BB!  Where you been?  My buddies and I started listening to Metallica back in High School and have been a big fan ever since!   What about Megadeth?

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 08:22:56 AM »
It's a heavy metal world, and I'm just forced to live in it. ;>)

:uh:  :cowboy:  :uh:

An ambition fulfilled

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 08:53:35 AM »
Quote from: "dmastous"

Nah, I can get down with almost any music though the beats of rap are proly my favorite.  Actually, I like techno and other genres with good beats a lot also!   :uh:

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 09:07:08 AM »
Quote from: "OSU Buckeye"

Nah, I can get down with almost any music though the beats of rap are proly my favorite.  Actually, I like techno and other genres with good beats a lot also!   :uh:

... and I can handle metal, for instance, I have respect for Metallica (espcially the tennis playing Ulrich), and I think Iron Maiden's Number of the Beast is classic.
I generally prefer something that provides something of interest. A surprise turn of a musical phrase so to speak. Metal just doesn't do that. For a long time Rap (or hip hop) didn't do that either, though it was born of that kind of thing, from people experimenting with beats and turntables. Some of the Ninja Tune stuff is legendary.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 09:20:29 AM »

... and I can handle metal, for instance, I have respect for Metallica (espcially the tennis playing Ulrich), and I think Iron Maiden's Number of the Beast is classic.
I generally prefer something that provides something of interest. A surprise turn of a musical phrase so to speak. Metal just doesn't do that. For a long time Rap (or hip hop) didn't do that either, though it was born of that kind of thing, from people experimenting with beats and turntables. Some of the Ninja Tune stuff is legendary.

While talking about Metallica, I had totally forgotten the irony that the drummer, Lars Ulrich, was supposedly a phenomenal junior player!  He is proly a 5.0-5.5 or some crazy s**te like that!   :uh:

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 09:30:08 AM »

While talking about Metallica, I had totally forgotten the irony that the drummer, Lars Ulrich, was supposedly a phenomenal junior player!  He is proly a 5.0-5.5 or some crazy s**te like that!   :uh:

He was profiled in Tennis Mag back in the day.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 09:32:45 AM »

I think that is how I found out about it!

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 09:51:43 AM »

Probably still have that issue in a closet. That and the one that shows a 15 or 16 year old Andre Aggasi combing his long two toned locks, and touting him as the next big thing in tennis. How'd that work out?

An ambition fulfilled

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 09:58:12 AM »

Probably still have that issue in a closet. That and the one that shows a 15 or 16 year old Andre Aggasi combing his long two toned locks, and touting him as the next big thing in tennis. How'd that work out?

Yeah, AA was worthless and didn't accomplish anything!?   :;:-|

Offline blisteringboom

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2007, 11:36:18 AM »

Welcome back BB!  Where you been?  My buddies and I started listening to Metallica back in High School and have been a big fan ever since!   What about Megadeth?

Ya there excellent, I listed a few I'll extend the list... MegaDeth, Iron maiden(old school!), Machine Head, Trivium, Quovadus...
"So soon it parted , lifting itself into the air. It bent – the world did. High was low , low was high ,and so he soared into the ground that was the sky." Tyler Vergil

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2007, 11:39:06 AM »

Ya there excellent, I listed a few I'll extend the list... MegaDeth, Iron maiden(old school!), Machine Head, Trivium, Quovadus...

You lost me on many of them but the old school mainstays (Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden) are sweetness for sure!   :uh:

Offline blisteringboom

• Tennis God
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2007, 11:42:45 AM »
You don't know ICED EARTH ... how about BLIND GUARDIAN there defenitly getting up there...

But allot of them are German so it is less mainstream in the U.S

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2007, 11:43:31 AM »
You don't know ICED EARTH ... how about BLIND GUARDIAN there defenitly getting up there...

But allot of them are German so it is less mainstream in the U.S

Sorry bro, never heard of them!   ||-|

Offline blisteringboom

• Tennis God
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2007, 11:49:29 AM »
Bonkers!
Good stuff tholl... If you enjoy metal , these boys created a solid musical foundation for some extremely talented bands of my time... *cough* LAMB OF GOD!!!!!!

Offline SerenaSlam06

• Tennis God
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2007, 01:47:08 PM »
I like almost any kind of music as long as it is good. I like a lot of indie rock, some non mainstream rap (besides Kanye West!), some alternative country, some jazz, some soul. And all the rest that isn't exactly a category.
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

Offline thejackal

• Tennis God
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2007, 03:04:13 PM »
RIGHT now im listening to queen - "seven seas of rye" and "dont stop me now"
official blogger

tennisconnected.com

Offline Bundey

• Tennis God
  • Formerly known as "#1federerfan"
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2007, 04:04:16 PM »
Before a match there is nothing better than Queen's "We Will Rock You", or "Another One Bites the Dust".  I also like the Black Eyed Peas "Let's Get it Started."

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2007, 09:57:57 PM »
Give me old school any day!  R&B all the way... Can't stand rap! :yuk: