Author Topic: What I'm listening to now....  (Read 124314 times)

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
What I'm listening to now....
« Reply #140 on: July 21, 2007, 03:23:13 PM »
Quote from: "Tennis4you"
Quote from: "Dallas"
Well I just bought 3 CDs from Amazon.com and they came today.  You "youngsters" probably won't know anything about these but I bought:

A Donny Hathaway Collection (Donny Hathaway)
Innervisions (Stevie Wonder)
Two Steps from the Blues (Bobby 'Blue' Bland)

All classics! :))

Certainly not my style of music, but to each their own.  I pretty much like the 80's all the way through a lot of today's music.

My era was the 70's.  But I also love the 60's too.  But I also love a variety of music.  The 4 CD's before I bought those above were:

Tchaikovsky's Greatest Hits
25 Classical Favorite
50 Love and Marriage Favorites
25 Tchaikovsky Favorites

So you see - I like a lot of different kinds of music too.  As I said earlier in this thread, the only 2 kinds of music that I can not stand and will not listen to are: RAP and HARD ROCK :))

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #141 on: July 21, 2007, 03:38:44 PM »
Indeed I do like lots of kinds of music.  I do not mind some rap at all, and I always enjoy the hard rock as well.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #142 on: July 21, 2007, 04:40:06 PM »

Was a big fan in the '70s. "Superstition" is my favorite. Was a bigger fan of Earth, Wind and Fire. Hmmm... I don't think anyone has mentioned them.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #143 on: July 23, 2007, 05:03:29 PM »
Freebird (and any other prog rock fan); do you ever listen to Jon & Vangelis? You're a big Yes fan.
After Jon Anderson left Yes he got together with Vangelis (of Chariots of Fire and Blade Runner sountrack fame), and they cut 3 albums in the 80's. Short Stories (1980), The Friends of Mr. Cairo (1981), and Private Collection (1983).
Lots of atmosephere and eclectism, and beautiful music. Anderson did some other work with Vangelis as well. In '86 he released 3 Ships with is a hard to find Christmas album with some help from Vangelis, and Vangelis released See You Later which featured Jon Anderson on a couple of tracks.
There was another CD released in '91 called Page of Life as well but I haven't heard that one much.
Private Collection is my personal favorite of these. Very consistant, closing with a 22 minute track called Horizon. It's fantastic.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline FreeBird

• Tennis God
« Reply #144 on: July 23, 2007, 06:37:02 PM »
Quote from: "dmastous"
Freebird (and any other prog rock fan); do you ever listen to Jon & Vangelis? You're a big Yes fan.
After Jon Anderson left Yes he got together with Vangelis (of Chariots of Fire and Blade Runner sountrack fame), and they cut 3 albums in the 80's. Short Stories (1980), The Friends of Mr. Cairo (1981), and Private Collection (1983).
Lots of atmosephere and eclectism, and beautiful music. Anderson did some other work with Vangelis as well. In '86 he released 3 Ships with is a hard to find Christmas album with some help from Vangelis, and Vangelis released See You Later which featured Jon Anderson on a couple of tracks.
There was another CD released in '91 called Page of Life as well but I haven't heard that one much.
Private Collection is my personal favorite of these. Very consistant, closing with a 22 minute track called Horizon. It's fantastic.

Thanks for the recommendation, I've only listened to a bit, and not recently.  I'll be checking into them immediately :)  I do remember hearing a bit of one tune at the end of some fantasy movie that happened to be on TV one day about 12 years ago - after all, Jon's voice is pretty unmistakeable.  I do have the 3 Ships album on vinyl, that I found back in the day :)
Good luck on the court is nice to have, but it's usually extraneous when playing against Baker.

Offline FreeBird

• Tennis God
« Reply #145 on: July 23, 2007, 06:40:50 PM »
Quote from: "Babblelot"

Was a big fan in the '70s. "Superstition" is my favorite. Was a bigger fan of Earth, Wind and Fire. Hmmm... I don't think anyone has mentioned them.

Much of SW's work is timeless IMO.  I bet even Scooter would find some of it fresh.  But Stevie couldn't match EWF at their best.  September was always my personal favorite, and got included in our wedding - which was in September, of course!
Good luck on the court is nice to have, but it's usually extraneous when playing against Baker.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #146 on: July 23, 2007, 07:38:45 PM »
Quote from: "FreeBird"

Thanks for the recommendation, I've only listened to a bit, and not recently.  I'll be checking into them immediately :)  I do remember hearing a bit of one tune at the end of some fantasy movie that happened to be on TV one day about 12 years ago - after all, Jon's voice is pretty unmistakeable.  I do have the 3 Ships album on vinyl, that I found back in the day :)

You may be thinking of the soundtrack to Legends (the achem Tom Cruise movie by Ridley Scott where gets in his birthday suit). Jon Anderson did the final song, called "Loved by the Sun", It might be Vangelis at does the music to that song. But it might also be Tangerine Dream who provided most of the soundtrack to the movie in it's American release (along with a song by Brian Ferry that's worth finding). It actually had two scores, one by TD, and one by Jerry Goldsmith which was it's original score, but scrubbed and replaced by TD to appeal to the US teen set.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Wimbledon_05_Venus

• Tennis God
« Reply #147 on: August 01, 2007, 11:46:32 PM »
Quote from: "OSU Buckeye"
Quote from: "Wimbledon_05_Venus"
Vaughan Penn- Brokenhearted.

Como se huh!   ||-|  ||-|

I'm guessing Vaughan Penn is the artist and Brokenhearted is the album. Never heard of it, or heard it. :|

Brokenhearted is the song. lol. You guys are so clueless.

Here is one of her songs:

She's great. I like her music.

Offline SerenaSlam06

• Tennis God
« Reply #148 on: August 03, 2007, 08:06:54 AM »
Coldplay- Til Kingdom Come

Amazing song, I didn't even know about it when I first bought X&Y, I just kept turning the CD off after track 12, but this song is one of my favorites from Coldplay. Apparently this song was written for Johnny Cash, but he died before he could record it. He would've done an amazing version too I'm sure. Gotta love the Man in Black
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #149 on: August 03, 2007, 09:45:51 AM »
Quote from: "SerenaSlam06"

Amazing song, I didn't even know about it when I first bought X&Y, I just kept turning the CD off after track 12, but this song is one of my favorites from Coldplay. Apparently this song was written for Johnny Cash, but he died before he could record it. He would've done an amazing version too I'm sure. Gotta love the Man in Black

I loved Coldplay's first two CD's. Songs like "Amsterdam" display a lot of angst of the artist. I saw them in concert twice. But since word came that Chris Martin hitched up with Yoko Paltrow, I lost interest in them. Still think highly of their early stuff, though.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #150 on: August 03, 2007, 10:30:08 AM »
Quote from: "SerenaSlam06"

I loved Coldplay's first two CD's. Songs like "Amsterdam" display a lot of angst of the artist. I saw them in concert twice. But since word came that Chris Martin hitched up with Yoko Paltrow, I lost interest in them. Still think highly of their early stuff, though.

Clocks is an absolutley perfect dreamy song. I can't believe how good it is.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline SerenaSlam06

• Tennis God
« Reply #151 on: August 03, 2007, 12:53:35 PM »
At first I really didn't like X&Y, because it was so different, but it has really very good songs on it, and they can't make the same stuff forever. Seriously though Babble, check out Til Kingdom Come, it is reminiscent of their older stuff, it and is just really amazing.
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #152 on: August 03, 2007, 07:45:33 PM »
Quote from: "FreeBird"

Much of SW's work is timeless IMO.  I bet even Scooter would find some of it fresh.  But Stevie couldn't match EWF at their best.  September was always my personal favorite, and got included in our wedding - which was in September, of course!

I use to have all of their albums (yes...we did have albums then)... I recently heard them play during a televised skating spectacular and they still have it! ;-()

Offline Pacer

• Tennis God
« Reply #153 on: August 08, 2007, 12:29:46 AM »
Soundgardens: "Black Hole Sun" "Spoonman"

Rage Against the Machine: "Year of the Boomerang" "Bulls on Parade"

John Coltrane: Ascension, Interstellar Space

Bessie Smith: "Me and my Gin" "The Yellow Dog Blues"

Ella Fitzgerald: "When I get low I get high" "I found my Yellow Basket"
Ralphie: I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle! <br /><br />Mrs. Parker: No, you\'ll shoot your eye out.

Offline Bundey

• Tennis God
  • Formerly known as "#1federerfan"
« Reply #154 on: September 07, 2007, 01:56:59 PM »
Looking Glass:  Brandy

The Turtles

The Beatles

Oldies are just better...

Tell me what you think of this song.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #155 on: September 10, 2007, 11:27:30 AM »
Quote from: "#1federerfan"
Looking Glass:  Brandy

The Turtles

The Beatles

Oldies are just better...

Tell me what you think of this song.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oR0oHQxlzGs

Is that Alice Cooper?   :;:-|

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
Re: What I'm listening to now....
« Reply #156 on: October 24, 2007, 07:38:55 PM »
I've just been hanging out in Kansas for past couple days. Not the state, the band.
It amazes me just how good these guys were. Maybe Yes had the credentials, but I think Kansas made Yes sound pedestrian. Favorite album Leftoverture. Not a bad song on that album and ending with Magnum Opus. 8+ minutes of blissfull rock and roll (if rock can be blissfull, but it's just so goood  :)))

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #157 on: October 25, 2007, 07:59:41 AM »
I like the new Santana / Nickelback song.  Other than that, I am just listening to a mix of things again.  I was listening to a little bit of Fiest too, it was OK.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #158 on: October 25, 2007, 08:24:53 AM »
I like the new Santana / Nickelback song.  Other than that, I am just listening to a mix of things again.  I was listening to a little bit of Fiest too, it was OK.

Feist is the chick that sings the "1-2-3-4" song right? 

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #159 on: October 25, 2007, 11:48:01 AM »

Feist is the chick that sings the "1-2-3-4" song right? 

Yeah, used in the iPod commercial.